Is this too big? Not necessarily - body size, not wrist size.
Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By spyderco10
  • 2 Post By kalachakra

Thread: Is this too big? Not necessarily - body size, not wrist size.

Is this too big? Not necessarily - body size, not wrist size.

My two cents and advice:

I've seen recurrent posts on WUS where people post pics of watches on their wrists seeking opinions on whether their watches are too big/small.

To these posters, I think it's important to remember that people here collect watches for various reasons. Some buy to wear, whilst some buy to build a collection. Some do both. Therefore, opinions given often depends on the replier's proclivities and their priorities in collecting. I'm approaching this from a purely functional and aesthetic (dare I say fashion design) perspective.

I've often thought that whilst wrist size is a valid barometer of whether a watch fits or not, it's equally important to factor in one's body size, and the size of one's hands in relation to one's watches. A large watch (in relation to wrist size) can make an overly large hand look smaller and proportionate. The converse is true too. The colour of the dial, and shape of the case & lugs has a similar effect. White will look bigger; black, smaller as a general rule.

In addition, I've also seen large watches on small to average size wrists where the watch just looks right when the man has been tall, muscular or large framed. My buddy is 6'3" with the same size wrist as mine. However, my 46mm Breitling looks better on him than on me, if I'm brutally honest.

Furthermore, aside from these ergonomic considerations, lifestyle factors can influence whether a watch is too big/small and how often it's worn. I just sold my car and bought a scoot living in inner city Melbourne. Consequently, I rarely wear my Breitling (the largest watch I own) purely because it's too big to fit comfortably under my motorcycle gloves.

The good news is it prompted me to buy two of my grails - a Speedy and Rolex Explorer ll, which fits perfectly on my wrist and under my motorcycle gloves.

Re: Is this too big? Not necessarily - body size, not wrist size.

Even if you're Arnold, if the lugs overhang the edges of your wrist, it's too big.
    akasnowmaaan, WnS and MZhammer like this.

That's way too complicated. If you have to ask others whether the watch is to big then it is too big. Most posters are asking to be convinced to ignore the obvious.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Lugs hanging over the wrists is a given. No different from pants slipping off your waist are too big.

"Most posters are asking to be convinced to ignore the obvious."

I feel the same way most of the time when I see these posts and agree wholeheartedly. However, in my younger days when I sold designer brand suits, I would find clients would look terrific in a cut I placed them in, but they needed reassurance simply because they were deviating from cut they were used to. Some seemed more fixated on sizes rather than on what looked good - "I wear 32 inch pants, I can't possibly be 38!", "I wear a size 44 jacket" (shoulder pads hanging over the side).

All I'm getting at is wrist size alone is not an indicator of what looks good. A watch can reach the upper limits of one's wrist size (NOT overhang) and appear less than perfect within the context of a wrist shot. Whereas seen from a distance, and on the body, a watch may just look right.

Another thing that I noticed selling suits is men would stand in front of a mirror like a soldier rather than move around to get a better idea of how the clothes wear and drape. We're active organisms after all, and not mannequins.
    akasnowmaaan and Beater like this.

Quote Originally Posted by kalachakra View Post

All I'm getting at is wrist size alone is not an indicator of what looks good. A watch can reach the upper limits of one's wrist size (NOT overhang) and appear less than perfect within the context of a wrist shot. Whereas seen from a distance, and on the body, a watch may just look right.
    I find that watches which often appear a bit small on my wrist from my 1st person perspective (looking down at my wrist while typing for example), actually look much larger proportionally when viewed in a full length mirror from several feet back. In fact, this has made me feel self conscious about several watches I felt were sized perfectly, when I later paired them with a suit for the first time and noticed them "popping" much more than expected....when discretion is what I would have preferred.

Quote Originally Posted by John MS View Post
    That's way too complicated. If you have to ask others whether the watch is to big then it is too big. Most posters are asking to be convinced to ignore the obvious.
    This ia generally how I feel even if they tell me it looks great.

When I look down and all I see is watch, it looks weird to me.

Just recently I tried a dssd and thought it looked too big but all my friends said it looked fine on me.

Sent from my ST27i using Tapatalk 2
    Rolex Explorer II 216570
    Panerai
    PAM 112
    Rolex Two-Tone Datejust
    Omega Constellation C-Shape Vintage
    Anonimo D-Date II
    Concord Impresario
    Seiko Sumo
    Casio MDV106

WnS

For slightly overhanging watches (on bracelet or thin strap), a thick strap solves the over hang problem. This is one reason why some people put monstrously thick straps on their Panerai.

I was shocked when my Steinhart Nav B II Chrono had overhang on the bracelet, but I fixed it with fat leather strap. Saved it from being flogged on the sales corner.
    Last edited by WnS; October 10th, 2013 at 13:33.
    I'm content with my watch collection

Quote Originally Posted by kalachakra View Post
    Lugs hanging over the wrists is a given. No different from pants slipping off your waist are too big.

"Most posters are asking to be convinced to ignore the obvious."

I feel the same way most of the time when I see these posts and agree wholeheartedly. However, in my younger days when I sold designer brand suits, I would find clients would look terrific in a cut I placed them in, but they needed reassurance simply because they were deviating from cut they were used to. Some seemed more fixated on sizes rather than on what looked good - "I wear 32 inch pants, I can't possibly be 38!", "I wear a size 44 jacket" (shoulder pads hanging over the side).

Another thing that I noticed selling suits is men would stand in front of a mirror like a soldier rather than move around to get a better idea of how the clothes wear and drape. We're active organisms after all, and not mannequins.
    I agree with much of this. Wrist shape yes, but hand size, width and physique is often overlooked. Regardless, if it makes someone feel good, wear it I say. Somebody else's overhanging lugs aren't going to spoil my day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Last edited by Beater; October 14th, 2013 at 03:19.

Quote Originally Posted by Beater View Post
    I agree with much of this. Wrist shape yes, but hand size, width and physique is often overlooked. Regardless, if it makes someone feel good, wear it I say.
    +1

Thread Information