Too much?
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Too much?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Too much?

Well, I kind of had a revelation this morning when I was deciding on which watch to wear. I've been reading a lot of 'state of the collection' threads recently, and I decided to really look into my mindset with my own collection. I have an 8 watch box, which I bought as a promise to myself so as not to own more than 8 at any one time. I've been sitting at 8 for the last year and a half, and when a new one comes in, one has to go. However, I feel like I have 3 watches that make up a perfect rotation, and 5 that I force myself to wear in conjunction with the rest. I also have gone through my list of watches I'd like to acquire (which I spend time staring at every day), and realized that none of them are a better fit in a small rotation than the 3 that I really love to wear now.

The current collection is as follows:

1972 Rolex 1601 Datejust with Wideboy indices and blue dial
    1992 Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Jumbo Jubilee 14802
    2006 Rolex Cellini Prince in YG
    2006 Breitling SuperOcean
    2012 Omega Speedmaster FOIS
    2013 Jaeger LeCoultre Grande Reverso Ultra Thin Duoface Blue
    2015 Jaeger LeCoultre Tribute To Geophysic 1958
    2015 Grand Seiko 'Snowflake'

The AP and the two JLCs are my go-to pieces, and lately the others feel like a bit of a chore. The Breitling was a gift from my father, and will stick around to be passed down one day. It's serviced and in the safe. So... I'm thinking about moving the rest out to have a 3 watch rotation. Am I crazy, or am I being returned to sanity? Should I sit happily where I'm at or cut what I am currently starting to think of as the fat in the collection? Anyone who wants to chime in and help out would be appreciated.
    “How did it get so late so soon? It's night before it's afternoon. December is here before it's June. My goodness how the time has flewn.”

Re: Too much?

They are nice pieces and you might regret it later on (assuming your tastes might change) and have seller's remorse. I sold a perfect condition Rolex Sub GMT with the two-tone oyster bracelet that I wish I had back.

But life is short. If you don't think you'll wear the others then sell 'em and move on. You certainly will have no problem moving them.
    Last edited by Chris Stark; March 23rd, 2016 at 22:13.
    Sevenmack likes this.
    "Genius is nothing but a greater aptitude for patience." -Ben Franklin
    Damasko | Hamilton | Longines | Mido | Orient | Oris | Rolex | Timex

If you need the money, sell the others. If you aren't going to wear them, sell the others. If you want something else, flip one or more. But are you being honest with yourself about really sticking with three? It sounds good in theory, but execution is the tough part
    “I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.” Umberto Eco

Panerai * Rolex * Omega * Ball * AEgir * Mühle-Glashütte * Oris * Archimede * Seiko * Magrette * Padron

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Put the watches you would have sold in the safe for 6 months and if you still feel a bit ambivalent towards them after that it's time to start flipping.

Quote Originally Posted by sticky View Post
    Put the watches you would have sold in the safe for 6 months and if you still feel a bit ambivalent towards them after that it's time to start flipping.

That might be the best possible suggestion. I honestly feel like the AP RO, Reverso Duo Bleu, and Geophysic make up a damn fine rotation. I force myself to wear the Cellini because it's beautiful, but I don't find myself wearing much gold... it's a great f*** you watch, or a great retirement watch, but I need neither at the moment. The DJ is timeless but doesn't get a second glance between the blue of the Reverso and the AP. The FOIS is great, but I don't need the chrono to time anything (ever...) and really find myself drawn to simplicity. Finally, the GS is beautiful, but I still find myself stuck on the fact that I spent thousands on a Seiko. I know that's idiotic, and it's a great piece for the money, but when I want a white dial, I reach for the Geophysic.

All said, I think I might want to let them go, but a trial run would be a great way to test the waters there. Any other input, bring it on.
    schrop likes this.
    “How did it get so late so soon? It's night before it's afternoon. December is here before it's June. My goodness how the time has flewn.”

Quote Originally Posted by bradfordcharles View Post
    ...Finally, the GS is beautiful, but I still find myself stuck on the fact that I spent thousands on a Seiko. I know that's idiotic, and it's a great piece for the money, but when I want a white dial, I reach for the Geophysic...
    Same debate I've had about what's next on the "buy" list -- while the Snowflake is there, I can't quite bring myself to get it and pass up the JLC MUT RdM for about the same money...or the GO PanoMaticDate...or the Ochs und Junior Moonphase I've been saving for...the list goes on.
    “I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.” Umberto Eco

Panerai * Rolex * Omega * Ball * AEgir * Mühle-Glashütte * Oris * Archimede * Seiko * Magrette * Padron

I'd like to see that Datejust :)

JSI

Wish I had that problem. My watch box has 20 slots and has been overflowing into my sock drawer.

My collection is a bit more on the affordable side though.
    Instagram: Jeremy_S_I0123

Quote Originally Posted by marker2037 View Post
    I'd like to see that Datejust :)
    Here she is.
    Last edited by bradfordcharles; March 23rd, 2016 at 23:29.
    marker2037 likes this.

Keep them all. There's a reason why you bought those watches in the first place -- and you will eventually find yourself wearing them more-often again. Especially if you do something such as change the strap on the watches.

One example of my point is the Citizen Calibre 9000, the first watch I ever bought. For four years, this minute repeater was one of only four watches I had owned, and it was the one I wore daily, through periods of job loss, moves to three different cities, getting married, and starting a business. Over the last five, I wore it sparingly while newer models in my collection got a lot of wear.

But in the last few months, I began wearing the Calibre 9000 more often. Now, I wear it at least twice a week, and sometimes while sleeping. It got even more wear after I replaced the very nice OEM bracelet with a new Hirsch Duke strap. There's a lot to enjoy about this watch. In fact, if a watch can be like an old friend, this watch most-certainly is.

Ultimately, it's your choice. But I say keep them, toss some new straps and bracelets on them, and enjoy. Sometimes, it's not about more or less, but about the enjoyment.
    Name:  20160228_154219.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  1.29 MB
    Last edited by Sevenmack; March 23rd, 2016 at 23:39.
    Invicta 2875, Citizen Eco-Drive Calibre 9000 Minute Repeater, 1965 Seiko Sportsmatic 5 Weekdater, 1940s Doxa with Small Seconds, Early 1950s Seiko (Still identifying movement), Bulova 96A110 Mechanical, Stuhrling Millenial Ravine Hand-Wind, Citizen Eco-Drive Calibre 8651, Stuhrling Original Zeppelin Skeleton, Christopher Ward C5 Malvern, Stuhrling Original Tuskegee Flier, Stuhrling Original Executive II, Seiko Cocktail Time SARB065, Seiko Presage SARX015, Bulova Precisionist Wilton, Bulova Precisionist 98B224 Big Blue, Eterna KonTiki Date, Citizen World Perpetual A-T, Citizen Signature Grand Classic NB0040-07A Silver Ice, FitBit Charge 2

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information