took my watch under water today
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: took my watch under water today

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

took my watch under water today

I have this watch since June 2016. Citizen Ecodrive ....snorkeling worthy per the description.

Today is the first time I wore it while I showered, took it inside the ocean and in the pool , also in Jacuzzi ...104 f temperature .... dont know if that was too much!
    All this because of a beach vacation.....I feel good....My watch has now graduated as have I !!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: took my watch under water today

I've heard that the temperature of a hot tub / Jacuzzi can be detrimental to the rubber seals in the watch. Not sure if that's an old wives tale or not but it seems like prolonged high temperate wouldn't be great for rubber.

I wear my dive watches in the ocean / pool even shower sometimes but not hot tub.. my understanding is the heat / pressure of the water jets could be rough on it... however if u have already done so and you don't see any water ingress (fogged crystal) then u are fine.. probably take it off in the hot tub next time however.
    johnMcKlane and DanishGirl like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by atarione View Post
    I wear my dive watches in the ocean / pool even shower sometimes but not hot tub.. my understanding is the heat / pressure of the water jets could be rough on it... however if u have already done so and you don't see any water ingress (fogged crystal) then u are fine.. probably take it off in the hot tub next time however.
    My understanding is that the heat causes regular rubber gaskets to swell creating space for water to enter as it pushes against the caseback. I believe this is the reason Sinn uses those crazy green seals.
    atarione likes this.

i think the important thing for the OP is even if it isn't "recommended" taking it in once (assuming it seems fine after) isn't likely to be catastrophic the sort of like how u wouldn't want to drive around in your car constantly hitting the rev limiter.. hitting once isn't probably going to hurt anything really. (i hope....as I may or may not have hit the rev limiter on my car recently =p)
    DanishGirl and Synequano like this.

Banned

You are playing Craps with your watch as the dice. You rolled a 7 but could very well roll snakes eyes on the next throw.

Love the watch and the shot of it!
    DanishGirl and Synequano like this.
    • Seiko SARX033
    • Oris Aquis
    • Rolex Daytona 116500
    • Rolex Submariner 116610LN

If you're worried about it, have it pressure tested. I doubt once in the hot tub would be too much of an issue, but I probably wouldn't suggest doing it regularly. That's why God invented the G-shock.
    DanishGirl likes this.

Ard

So happy to hear you are enjoying the watch. I remember when you were shopping for it and had ask some questions.

Cheers
    DanishGirl likes this.

The Citizen Eco-Drive manual says the operating temp range is up to 140*F - 104* is fine. Watches likely often exceed that temp in warm climates on sunny days. I know my black Citizen Promaster gets pretty damn hot when it's on vacation. Also keep in mind that even though the watch might be "rated" for 140*F, the o-rings inside have a much higher operating temp range. Just looking up a basic nitrile rubber O-ring shows a temp max of 250*F. Chances are the plumbing fixtures in your house use the same material o-rings and likely encounter higher temps than that hot tub every day for years without issue.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information