Tool, Jewelry, Art
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Tool, Jewelry, Art

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Tool, Jewelry, Art

I think for most people their choices of watches is a bit of a combination of all three, but in what order do you place the three? Some will say a watch is jewelry first and foremost as it's pretty unnecessary in today's world to wear a watch. Others will say it's art when you start to reach into the realm of ALS and Patek. And finally some will say tool because they like the feeling of having a sturdy piece of machinery on their wrist for telling time and what it conveys to others about who they feel they are (or is this jewelry again?)

How do you place the three in order of importance? And I guess why?

Re: Tool, Jewelry, Art

Jewelry
    Art (why i wear automatics only)
    Tool

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyOneMore View Post
    And finally some will say tool because they like the feeling of having a sturdy piece of machinery on their wrist for telling time and what it conveys to others about who they feel they are (or is this jewelry again?)
    Wait...so if I choose 'tool' I'm doing so not just for the functionality but to telegraph to others something about myself? BS
    Hate to break it to you but some people buy a watch to have a watch. For themselves. To tell time. Maybe to admire. Because they connect with the history of the brand. What it means to someone else isn't anything I consider or care about...well, not unless they're paying for it then I'm happy to oblige but otherwise, nope.

You're just pulling out that old trope about showing off for others, needing other peoples validation blah blah blah. Maybe it's hard for some people to understand but watches; buying, collecting and wearing CAN be for the sole enjoyment of the wearer, like playing solitaire for one's own enjoyment.
    RaybanRJ likes this.
    http://veteranswatchmakerinitiative.org/
    Training Combat Disabled Vets to become Watchmakers
    https://www.gofundme.com/VWIBulova

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Seabee1 View Post
    Wait...so if I choose 'tool' I'm doing so not just for the functionality but to telegraph to others something about myself? BS
    Hate to break it to you but some people buy a watch to have a watch. For themselves. To tell time. Maybe to admire. Because they connect with the history of the brand. What it means to someone else isn't anything I consider or care about...well, not unless they're paying for it then I'm happy to oblige but otherwise, nope.

You're just pulling out that old trope about showing off for others, needing other peoples validation blah blah blah. Maybe it's hard for some people to understand but watches; buying, collecting and wearing CAN be for the sole enjoyment of the wearer, like playing solitaire for one's own enjoyment.
    So jewelry then...
    vkalia, bobo90 and craigr812 like this.

Name:  ways-save-movie-theater-tickets-1068x713.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  91.4 KB

Sent from my K92 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyOneMore View Post
    So jewelry then...
    Nope, tool, a tool to tell time.
    For me it's tool (in this sense), art, jewelry

Sent from the bottom of the world using a really big slingshot

To me a good mechanical watch is a marriage of art and engineering. It's an especially good marriage if it is done with craftsmanship, sometimes referred to around here as "fit and finish." I could wear a bracelet as jewelry (which I do) but a watch is much more sophisticated, so to the OP's terms, I don't think of it as jewelry. I'll say about half intricate tool and half work of art.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk
    FernandoFuenzalida and ffritz like this.

Jewelry
    Tool
    Art

I would think tool first but 99% of us have cell phones and hundreds of digital clocks around so they aren’t necessities, just amazing beautiful machines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, when my wife wears my Rolex sub it is 33% of each; Name:  A0F05DA1-8A59-46C6-860A-20853F13187D.jpeg
Views: 28
Size:  871.3 KB

Watch
    Watch
    Watch

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information