A tool that makes comparing watches easier

Thread: A tool that makes comparing watches easier

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Lightbulb A tool that makes comparing watches easier

Hello. This is my first post here.

I love shopping watches and some sites like Amazon has such a huge selection. I got tired of clicking through the whole listings and bookmarking all of the watches for later comparison. Plus I am very indecisive when it comes to buying watches. so, I wrote a program to solve that problem.

I am an newbie web programmer, so the application might mess up a little... Initial search time takes about 15 seconds, so please be patient. And it works the best if the price range is not set, or when the range is not too narrow.

Its still a ...... program, but I hope some people will find it useful.
    I will keep on trying to improve it!

The application can be used at www.gadgetcensus.com/watch/watchapp.html

-l3ots
    Last edited by l3ots; April 8th, 2010 at 22:30. Reason: The location of the hyperlink has been changed

Re: Watch Image Comparator

hey welcome and thanx(i think) but you can never create a way to quantify the totally subjective. sometimes it comes down to seeing an otherwise fantastic piece on a dreadful day and no program will ever overcome this.
    Enjoying a life far better than I deserve...

Nice work

This is from Amazon only if I understand it correctly?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by novedl View Post
    hey welcome and thanx(i think) but you can never create a way to quantify the totally subjective. sometimes it comes down to seeing an otherwise fantastic piece on a dreadful day and no program will ever overcome this.

haha, thank you for trying out my app! What you say is true though... I always takes me weeks to decide on a watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Paperclip View Post
    Nice work

This is from Amazon only if I understand it correctly?

Thank you! And yes, the watches you see are on Amazon. Amazon gives a way to access their database for a programmer. So, I just fetch their database a lot of times and just display the price and the image.

Wow, this is very very cool. Great idea, I'm using it already.
    Tianjin Jun Shi 天津君士潛海計時儀器 Military Diver
    Orient オリエント時計
    Blue TT Diver 2ER00004D
    Sea-Gull 海鷗手錶 Chrono 1963 Chinese Air Force Re-issue
    Casio カシオ G-Shock Riseman Solar Multi-band 6 GW9200-1
    Casio カシオ G-Shock White Solar Multi-band 6 GWM850-7CR
    Yes Watch The Kundalini L102.4
    Yes Watch The Cozmo Symbol #K501
    Seiko セイコー Men's SS Silver Dial SGF459
    Seiko セイコー Military Chronograph SDWB63P

Quote Originally Posted by l3ots View Post
    Hello. This is my first post here.

I love shopping watches and some sites like Amazon has such a huge selection. I got tired of clicking through the whole listings and bookmarking all of the watches for later comparison. Plus I am very indecisive when it comes to buying watches. so, I wrote a program to solve that problem.

I am an newbie web programmer, so the application might mess up a little... Initial search time takes about 15 seconds, so please be patient. And it works the best if the price range is not set, or when the range is not too narrow.

Its still a ...... program, but I hope some people will find it useful.
    I will keep on trying to improve it!

The application can be used at www.gadgetcensus.com

-l3ots
    Awesome!!!!! Already bookmarked!

Is there any way that you could make it so that if you click on an image, it would take you to the product page?
    Also can you add Nautica and Zodiac?
    What order are the watches in? Can you put them in price order?
    Also, it might be less confusing if the price were next to the check box.

Sorry for all the requests, but I see a ton of potential!

Thanks!
    Last edited by TNT13; April 4th, 2010 at 07:12.
    How to choose an HDTV (A step by step guide)

How to decipher Rolexspeak:
    Perpetual means Automatic; Datejust lets you adjust the date; A Superlative Chronometre is COSC certified; A Rolex President has an adjustable day and date

Man, that's awesome! Thanks for spending time to hobble that together. Totally the spot-on utility for buying watches for friends or relatives.

OT: BTW, I feel your pain with the LAMP stuff I read about - I've recently had to take over a drupal site and dealing with PHP and MySQL's no easy task.

And welcome to WUS.

:thanks Thank you guys for all of the feedbacks! It makes me very happy as a programmer!

TNT13: Hey, I was waiting for someone to suggest me something! The application is still version 1.0 and is open for any suggestions! I till try to implement some of the things you wrote today.
    The sorting thing though... I can only sort the products within the 200 items. In another words, if I sort the first page by price and the last watch on that page is $1,000, but the item on the next page does not start from $1,000.

waruilewi: Oh yes Lamp is pain... but Drupal is awesome. I love Drupal so much... Sometimes it makes me sad because programming forums and blogs takes me over and hour, but in Drupal you can just drop the modules lol...

Quote Originally Posted by l3ots View Post
    :thanks Thank you guys for all of the feedbacks! It makes me very happy as a programmer!

TNT13: Hey, I was waiting for someone to suggest me something! The application is still version 1.0 and is open for any suggestions! I till try to implement some of the things you wrote today.
    The sorting thing though... I can only sort the products within the 200 items. In another words, if I sort the first page by price and the last watch on that page is $1,000, but the item on the next page does not start from $1,000.

waruilewi: Oh yes Lamp is pain... but Drupal is awesome. I love Drupal so much... Sometimes it makes me sad because programming forums and blogs takes me over and hour, but in Drupal you can just drop the modules lol...
    What order are the watches currently listed in? Is it Amazon's ASIN?
    Even if you can only do 200, I think it is a good idea to have the option, as you can always narrow it down by price to have less than 200.

Also, is it possible to save the saved watches as cookies so you can come back to it later?
    Last edited by TNT13; April 4th, 2010 at 17:30.
    How to choose an HDTV (A step by step guide)

How to decipher Rolexspeak:
    Perpetual means Automatic; Datejust lets you adjust the date; A Superlative Chronometre is COSC certified; A Rolex President has an adjustable day and date

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information