Tool marks on watch back

Thread: Tool marks on watch back

Tool marks on watch back

Hello all,

I've had a watch repaired under warrantee, but it has come back with tool marks on the screwback - something i foolishly neglected to check in the shop.

As the watch was in spotless condition before the repair, is it ok for me to go back and have it polished/replaced, or is it normal for a watch to come back with tool marks?

If it makes a difference, the material was titanium coated in titanium carbide.

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Re: Tool marks on watch back

or is it normal for a watch to come back with tool marks?
    It is not.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Abit of toolmark is noticeable at the sockets where the caseback tool attached --- it happens.

Toolmark across the center surface of the caseback --- not allowed. Get the watchmaker to polish it away.

It was not only just that you did not check when collecting the watch, you also failed to attach improvised protective transparent sticker on the caseback and explicitly instruct that it should not be removed so as to protect the caseback surface. Such protective sticker needs proper trimming so as not to obstruct the sockets for caseback tool and also needs to be transparent in the event the repair person needs to read any serial number on the caseback.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

This is what I'm talking about:

and

I know it may seem a bit petty, but the watch was in brand spanking new condition when it left. I also wasn't aware that it was normal procedure to place an improvised transparent sticker on the caseback. For what it's worth, other watches I've sent away have come back fine.

i would class that as unacceptable tool markings, looks like they have used an undersized tool leading to movement and ultimately damage.
    Tag Heuer Indy500 (Swiss Quartz)
    Bench Digital (Quartz fashion watch)
    Omega Seamaster 1959 (cal 562 Automatic)
    CK K8171 (Swiss Quartz)
    Orient CEM75001B6 (Japanese Automatic)

You are not alone in having concern with the toolmark. I would feel the hurt too. That happened to one watch which I brought to its sole-distributor for servicing. Being the sole-distributor for that brand and authorised service center, I thought I could rely on its duty of care and expertise to carry out a fine work. Wrong.

That watch was returned to me with scratches across the caseback and also similar toolmark you showed above. I was in that position before, so I can understand how you feel now. I pressed on with the service manager who got the senior technician to polish away those scratches.

As for the toolmark you showed, I am afraid many of the "independent" watchmakers will cause the same damage. If the repair was done by TAG, I can only suggest that you bring your watch to TAG service center and seek its help to polish away those toolmark. (Apart from the incident above, I did not have such experience with the TAG and Rolex service centers I visited.)

It was through unpleasant experience that I learned to apply improvised caseback sticker to save me the hurt. What is to me a cherished watch is nothing but just another job/chore to the repair person. Better for me to take preventive measure than to rely that he would use his common sense to care for a watch that does not belong to him.

UNACCEPTABLE!
    I would take this watch back and raise so much hell that even if they didn't admit to the ding, well, they would be more careful on future watches. Also, never ever heard or done the "protective sticker" on the back thing.

Thread Information