The tool watch is dead. Long live the tool watch. - Page 2
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: The tool watch is dead. Long live the tool watch.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Re: The tool watch is dead. Long live the tool watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Monocrom View Post
    I think we're a long way away from everyone being locked in a vault and issued a Pip-boy 3000.
    The Quartz revolution of the 30th century.

(Dedicated to the pink tiger stripe and the man behind it.)

Quote Originally Posted by mew88 View Post
    I think notion of mechanical tool watches are romanticized in this day and age.
    Of course they are. Nowadays, practically everything with moving parts that isn't made out of flesh & blood is completely dependent on electricity/batteries. Nowadays if there was an EMP attack, in a few hours folks would panic and riot in the streets. A few short generations ago, that wouldn't have been the case. If you think a crack-addict's addiction is horribly crippling, it's nothing compared to the number of nations in the world in which everyone has become so incredibly dependent on electricity and battery-powered devices just to get through their normal day.

Mechanical watches often harken back to a simpler time. A time when the world wasn't so horribly addicted to everything that needs electricity or batteries just to perform basic tasks. Someone invented an electric can-opener, and it made them rich. I use a P-51 as my main can-opener. Someone invented shavers that only massage my whiskers instead of cutting them. I use a razor. Someone invented automated soap dispensers that have electronic sensors built in so you just put your hand underneath them and they dispense never-enough liquid soap. I use a bar of soap. Someone invented automatic sliding doors with sensors built into them. I just push or pull on a handle. When an elderly customer walked up to a door, a helpful employee or even the owner of the store would open the door for them. Someone invented quartz watches ...

Is it any wonder mechanical ones are romanticized?
    Last edited by Monocrom; October 25th, 2013 at 10:16. Reason: Typo.
    mew88, TheWalrus, Canuck22 and 2 others like this.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity here and there. Not the other way around." ~ John Cleese.

Quote Originally Posted by Drop of a Hat View Post
    The Quartz revolution of the 30th century.
    Just in time for the end of the world.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity here and there. Not the other way around." ~ John Cleese.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by mew88 View Post
    I think notion of mechanical tool watches are romanticized in this day and age.

A real modern equivalent would be a Timex Ironman/G-shock DW-5600C/E. Both of which are flight approved by NASA for space missions.
    This++. Sinn, Damasko, et al are direct descendants of the old style tool watch, but are more based on traditional concepts of "tool" than actual tool-ish ness, their design and implementation are skeumorphisms if you will. I'm especially disappointed by the 44mm+ diameter, 16mm+ thickness watches which are supposed to be more toolish. For me, when I'm doing physical stuff, I'd prefer my watch to be sturdy, thin, and unobtrusive. Anybody who's tried to ski with a 16+mm chronometer on their wrist will appreciate the problems they cause.

For durability and reliability it's hard to beat the G-shock DW-5600C/E. If you're looking for a bit more elegance, I think some of the Citizen Eco-Drive and Casio Lineage/Edifice/Oceanus line would be far better suited for a tool watch than the oversized monsters called tool watches nowadays.

That said, I think Damasko, among the watch companies I put in the tool watch category, despite the creeping size increases in their recent releases, have kept well to the tool intent of their watches. Within the bounds of having a anachronistic mechanical movement, of course.
    Will_f likes this.
    Nomos Orion Anthracite; Destro watches: Ω "Great White" GMT, MKII Blackwater, Sinn EZM1 LE, IWC 3536-001, MKII Kingston, Precista Speedbird I, Casio MR-G120, Casio GW-5000, Sinn EZM2; Former Watches: Corvus Bradley

How about the Tudor Pelagos, which is a no nonsense dive watch.

Patek Philippe Calatrava 5119J; Vacheron Constantin Overseas; Jaeger-LeCoultre Grande Reverso Duo; Rolex Submariner 114060; Omega Seamaster 300; Montblanc Heritage Dual Time; Tudor Black Bay, Black Bay GMT.

Armida A12; Borealis Estoril; Bulova Accutron II Alpha, Moonwatch; Casio GMW-B5000D, GW-5000, GST-W310; Coach Fulton; Hamilton Khaki Field; Helson Skindiver; Orient 60th Anniversary; Seagull Tourbillon, 1963 Air Force; Seiko SNA089P, SUN025P1; Steinhart OVM; Swatch Body and Soul, Heracles, Sistem51, Uncle Charly; Victorinox Alliance, Infantry Vintage.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsujigiri View Post
    ... Like it or not, watches like the Rolex Submariner or Omega Seamaster are now being marketed as exclusive luxury items, made of precious stainless steel metal and boasting features borrowed from much higher end watches. These watches are noticeably different than their previous versions in terms of quality and intended purpose, and prices hikes have far outpaced the rate of inflation as a result....
    Here's a vintage Submariner advertisement(1964 @ $195 or $1471 in 2013), I would say the luxury diver watch is well build-in their DNA

The other arguability most successful luxury tool diver is AP Royal Oak(1972 @ $315 or around $1,762 in 2013)

The cheapest of the Ceramic sub today is the "ND", retailing around $7,500 and the AP Royal Oak at much higher price point.

Attached Images Attached Images

eechern likes this.
    Rolex Submariner 114060
    Rolex Milgauss GV 116400
    Omega Speedmaster Professional Hesalite/Sapphire Sandwich 3572.50
    Omega Seamaster Professional Ceramic 300M
    Officine Panerai Luminor 1950 372P
    Officine Panerai Luminor Base 000M
    Officine Panerai Radiomir Blackseal 380P
    IWC Pilot's MK XVIII "Le Petit Prince" IW327004
    Seagull x WUS Moonphase #7
    Casio G-Shock "Mudman" G-9000
    Swatch Sistem51 "Hodinkee" Vintage 84

^^ Great advertising from Rolex. I BUY IT!

Quote Originally Posted by wuyeah View Post
    ^^ Great advertising from Rolex. I BUY IT!
    I don't know. I was really enjoying the ad until it got insulting! What do they mean the ONE piece of scuba equipment I can wear 24 hours a day? What's wrong with my underwater camo wetsuit? How about my red cap and speedo? Clearly written by someone who doesn't know what real scuba is
    Fi33pop likes this.

WnS

Quote Originally Posted by iam7head View Post
    Here's a vintage Submariner advertisement(1964 @ $195 or $1471 in 2013), I would say the luxury diver watch is well build-in their DNA

The other arguability most successful luxury tool diver is AP Royal Oak(1972 @ $315 or around $1,762 in 2013)

The cheapest of the Ceramic sub today is the "ND", retailing around $7,500 and the AP Royal Oak at much higher price point.

Not only do I like the price tag from 1964, I also like the price ratio. Assuming an affordable "underwater watch" (say a mechanical one) is $200 today, that would price the Rolex at $1000. Would totally buy a Rolex if that was the case.
    I'm content with my watch collection

The TRUE spiritual successor of the 1st Rolex Submariner is...

The Rolex Submariner 114060LN with ceramic bezel and 904L SS case and bracelet.
    Current Rotation:
    Tudor Black Bay (on OEM bracelet) | Rado Original Automatic 648.0408.3.161 | Royal Orient WE0011JB | Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch 311.30.42.30.01.005 | Casio G-Shock GWF-1000-1DR

G-Shock collection:
    GW-M5630E-9JR, GA-400-4A, DW-6900SG, GW-5000-1JF, GWF-1000-1DR, GW-200Z-1DR, GW-9200-1, GX-56-1B, G-5600E, G-6900-1, DW-5600MS, G-7302RL (non-functioning)

Wishlist:
    Credor ​Eichi (when pigs fly) | Credor ​Eichi II (when fishes talk) | FP Journe Chronometre Bleu (acquired) | Urban Jurgensen & Sonner Ref. 3 (acquired) | D.Dornbluth & Sohn Cal. 99.5 (acquired) | Moritz Grossmann BENU Rose Gold ​(acquired)

**Sig limit reached...**

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread Information