Everyone likes lists. Mostly because they make a good starting point for beginning a search.
I don't know if there are five watches I like in every category below, but I'd bet lots of folks here do. So what are they? They just need to be the five you like best and that you might conceivably (without the aid of lottery winnings) buy one day. WUS has knowledgeable folks who like watches of all sorts so this is where you get to offer where you'd put your money. You don't need to have bought the watches you recommend and if you've had some hard lessons learned from a watch you bought, the last category may be a good place to mention them.
Remember this is your top five, not necessarily what you think others would agree with. You don't need to have have 5 for each category -- I sure don't -- just let us know which category you are answering for. If you know roughly (within $1000 or so) the MSRP it'd be helpful for folks who want to use this as a resource if you include that, but it's not necessary to do so.
- Top 5...Period
- Top 5 Uncommon Brands (not watches)
- Top 5 Chrono
- Top 5 Uncomplicated (or with only a date)
- Top 5 Novelty
- Top 5 Dive
- Top 5 Ladies
- Top 5 Grand Complication (3+ complications in one watch, not including power reserve, date
- Top 5 Watches/brands that many folks might consider, but that you'd recommend they not buy. You must have a tangible reason to "poo poo" a watch/brand. Clone brands like Parnis are not permitted here if the copying is what you don't like about them. There are already plenty of threads that deal with that issue.
Looking forward to seeing your lists.
All the best.
People go to the movies instead of moving. Hollywood characters are supposed to have all the adventures for everybody in America, while everybody in America sits in a dark room and watches them have them.
- Tennessee Williams, The Glass Menagerie