Torn between two Nomoi

Thread: Torn between two Nomoi

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Torn between two Nomoi

Iím torn between two Nomoi, the Tangomat 38 and the Ahoi. I am entranced with the brandís designs, aesthetic, overall brand personality, and value proposition. I view the Tangomat as an ideal dress watch, and ultimate Nomos, the proportions and detailing are exquisite. If I wore a suit regularly it would be my daily dress watch without doubt.

Alas, I most frequently wear casual clothes with jeans and t-shirts my most frequent ensemble (Southern Californian here). So I have been gravitating a bit to the Ahoi as a better fit to my lifestyle. I believe the Tangomat works with casual, but not as well as the Ahoi.

Between the two, I think the Tangomat is a flawless execution of the Nomos aesthetic, and the Horween strap is brilliant and durable. The overall watch wears very comfortably and light on the wrist. It is a smidgeon small for me in wrist presence. In contrast, the Ahoi, at 40 mm with the Nomos no bezel bezel, has a lot of wrist presence, as much as I want or need in a watch, and more than some/many 41-42mm sports watches. The sports watch diver design is also a better match, IMO, for jeans and t-shirts. The modest crown guard, red small seconds hand and light, lumed, hands give it a sportier, more playful, and borderline whimsical, air than the Tangomat. The lume is also important to me, as I check the time when I wake during the night.

That said, while I like the Ahoi sport watch execution, I believe it suffers slightly in comparison to the Platonic perfection of the Tangomat. The overall proportions are not as balanced, the light lumed hands and contrasting second hand are not as elegant as the exquisite blued hands of the Tangente line, the long Nomos lugs are even longer here, and noticeably thicker, and the break in case circularity with the crown guards slightly unbalances the symmetry of the traditional Nomos thin bezel, minimal, round case.

My biggest reservation about purchasing the Ahoi is the strap. The textured fabric strap is a Nomos invention. In a store it wears stiff, I assume it breaks in. I don't imagine it will be as comfortable as the Horween strap. I am concerned that eventually the tang holes will show in the strap, but if it only has a 3-4 year life, so be it. I think it is a pretty good match to the casual air of the watch, but I am not sure I would like it as the only strap on a watch I might well wear several days a week. The Horween strap looks OK, but not as good as it does on the Tangente line, IMO. I am curious what approaches and successes Ahoi owners have had with other after market straps, in terms of aesthetics, versatility, and comfort.

So I am caught conflicted between what I view the better watch, versus a better lifestyle fit. Interested in othersí thoughts on this pleasant dilemma.

Re: Torn between two Nomoi

I had the Ahoi, and thought it was the best NOMOS available for an all around watch. It has good wrist presence and will work with most outfits (plus you can take it in the water). The Lume is not great by any means, but it is there. The strap definitely breaks in and is comfortable in any circumstance. I also purchased a horween leather strap to switch up the look, so you get the best of both worlds. I would probably go with the blue dial version if I were to get another NOMOS...the white dial did not sing to me as much. I would look at the Tangomat Sport as a good compromise between the two choices as well. It has the lume and the look. The only real difference is the lack of water resistance and sapphire caseback.

Unless you actually plan on getting it wet I don't think the Ahoi has that much on the Tangomat in terms of versatility or the ability to go casual. Put that Tangomat on a nato, perlon or colourful leather strap and it does casual very well.

You seem to prefer to the watch, so I would say "don't worry - just get the watch you want"
    Brad (@bradwatch)
    - appreciating fine affordable watches since 2011

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

My friend has the Ahoi and currently wears it on brown leather, I believe a Horween strap from his Instagram photos. He also lives in SoCal, I will get some feedback from him about the original strap and the one he's currently using.

I think Tangomat is pretty versatile, would go that route myself.

Sent from Maxwell Smart's shoe.
    Cheers, M

"Both feet on the floor, two hands on the wheel, may the wind take your troubles away."

- Son Volt -

I love my Ahoi Atlantik. I wear it with jeans, board short and flip flops, in uniform, or in my birthday suit. It's a great watch, and is as dressed up or as casual as you want.

I haven't had any issues with the strap, and find it very comfortable.

I've no regrets with the purchase, but you'll not go wrong with either watch.

I'd choose the Tangomat. It is more pure in its design. The Ahoi isn't as its trying to take an existing model and turn it into something else. It seems the end result is a little half-hearted as the process seems to have it stuck at now being not quite as elegant, yet nowhere near truly sporty. Kinda mediocre at both aspects.
    Last edited by CM HUNTER; July 6th, 2016 at 19:58.
    ​WATCHES OF ADMIRATION
    A. LANGE & SOHNE HENTSCHEL HAMBURG DAMASKO
    UTS MUNCHEN Glashuette ORIGINAL LEHMANN
    NOMOS GLASHUETTE MORITZ GROSSMANN BENZINGER
    temPtion
    D. DORNBLUETH & SOHNE JUNGHANS

WATCHES CURRENTLY OUT OF THE SAFE IN ROTATION
    DRESS:
    Glashuette Original Senator Observer, JLC MUT
    DIVERS:
    UTS 2000m, Seiko SKX009J
    PILOTS/MILITARY:
    Damasko DS30, Laco Paderborn, Archimede A Dial Flieger, Hamilton Field Khaki, Marathon General Purpose Mechanical,
    Citizen Avion Solar Chronograph
    SPORTS/RACING:
    Muhle 29er Big

24 watches & holding steady.

Is "Nomoi" the correct plural form of Nomos? :)

Quote Originally Posted by EugV12 View Post
    Is "Nomoi" the correct plural form of Nomos? :)
    Yes, just as Ahoi is the plural of Ahos. :)

Banned

I think the ahoi sings to me a little more...also a fan of the way you pluralized nomos

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information