Totally ignorant and need help

Thread: Totally ignorant and need help

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Totally ignorant and need help

Ok, here goes.....my first post....

I have never owned a watch worth more than $150. However, I am really trying to upgrade my knowledge so I can get myself soemthing a little better. I have been doing a little research and have discovered that I know ALMOST nothing about watches .
    Anyway, some of the brands I have been looking at and like, that are within my price range, are Tissot, Raymond Weil, Oris and Wenger. (I am looking at something classy, not sporty)
    Up until a few weeks ago, Omega, Tag and Rolex were basically the only names I had ever heard of.....so you can see where I'm coming from....
    So, I guess what I'm looking for is some general advice. I am looking for something that would be in the $800 range new, but I am looking to find a nice used one for under $350 if possible. The list seems endless, so just some basic advice ('look at these' or 'stay away from these' etc.) is what I am looking for.
    Any help is much appreciated.

Cheers, Darren.

Re: Totally ignorant and need help

View the daily "what are you wearing" threads on the various sub fora here and you'll get an idea of what styles you like. Asking for a recommendation is like saying "I like books, can someone recommend me a good book to read?" The possibilities are endless.
    Lots of dive watches.

Ok....that's a good point Eric. Thanks for the tip.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned

Well you have to start somewhere. Everyone does so here you go. From my personal experience I have and still do own quite a few Tissot watches. They can pretty much cover both sporty and dressy so I think you will find whatever you are looking for with this brand. Now, for a more specific question to ask yourself, are you looking for a quartz movement watch, which will give you both more accuracy and more selection at this price point. Or are you wanting to go with an automatic movement, which is not completely out of the price range when dealing with used. Different people preffer diferent types of movement. To your die hard collectors you will find that they more times then not preffer an auto over quartz. However if you are not picky then there is a wide variety of quartz watches to choose in your price range. I would maybe start by looking around the sales forum here and ebay to get a general idea of what you would be most interested in. In a tissot I will just give a quick opinion on one for you. The PRC 200 chronograph quartz is a great watch that has a very classy look to it and you will be able to find one in that price range, here is a picture of mine just to give you an idea. Good luck with your search and I hope Ive at least given you a little direction and not confused you too much.

Watches are discounted to wildly varying degrees, so if your budget for a watch is $350 you will get much better feedback if you simply say you're looking to buy a new or used watch for $350. Many brands have ridiculous retail prices in an attempt to convince buyers they are incredible watches, but sell at huge discounts, because they aren't.

Aside from Eric's point about picking a style, the next most common question will be whether you prefer a watch with a mechanical movement or quartz movement, or have no preference. Mechanical movement watches typically have a smoother sweeping seconds hand motion than quartz watches, which typically move their seconds hands in second increments. Mechanical movement watches typically require cleaning and lubrication every 3-5 years, and at this price range are typically not as accurate as a quartz watch. Lastly, since your post intimates that you would consider buying a used watch, in considering a purchase you need to consider whether the watch will need service or not. Servicing a day/date automatic watch typically costs $75 to $125 .

In this price range, I'd also look at Mido watches in addition to Tissot.
    Last edited by Ray916MN; March 18th, 2009 at 20:46. Reason: Forgot to mention

Banned

First of all, the title of your post is the most honest I've ever seen.

Second, you should look for the style you like as mentioned previously but Oris, Tissot, and Seiko are commonly agreed upon as some of the best values in this hobby. Good luck in your search!

if i were you, id try to save up as much money as possible, if your only going to have one watch. it better be a darn good one, built to last, and something your proud of when someone comes up to you and says "hey, cool watch, what kind is it?"

so spend a little more, buy something pre-owned, and stick with a robust automatic (no quartz, if its your daily watch) like an Oris, Fortis, Glycine, Longines, or Hamilton. thats the group id go with if i had to choose. Hamilton makes great watches that last forever, and dont go out of style.

Maybe a nice clean khaki auto? heres a pic of mine. used you can find oen for about $250-300

plus the best part? you can dress it up of down. Heres mine on rubber, leather, and orange resin/leather combo! 3 looks for cheap!

good luck

Tissot Le Locle would be in your price range. Here's a thread on it with some images:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=169348

Image shamelessly take from the same thread....

Last edited by Otto Phan; March 19th, 2009 at 06:47.

I don't have a watch to recommend, but I do have some advice. Take your time and look at lots and lots of watches. And then look some more. The watch you'd buy today, may not be the watch you'd buy 2 months from now after you've refined what you want.

Besides, the hunt is part of the fun.

Jeannie

Tissot make some great value watches; I just bought 4 for my long time staff memebers from my local jeweler; I wore a T-TOUCH TISSOT for 4 years before my new BALL; the one pictured here with the yellow hands I bought for one of the doctors that works in my practice; this guy NEVER wore a watch and always had to look at the clocks in the building with second hands; his wife says he sleeps in this thing,he loves it; the other point is that you can probably find a $12-1500 ORIS new discounted down to $600-800 for sure; Tourneau's outlet in Califronia was just running some in these price ranges last month; ORIS is a great value for a very nice looking watch; I think if you start at $350 you will end up with a lesser watch than you may have wanted but not necessarily a bad watch, my .02, dogdoc

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information