Touching Watches

Thread: Touching Watches

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Touching Watches

Hi, I'm new here and this may be a basic question or not but here goes:

The other day I went into an Omega shop to look at the watches (as I intend to look at buying my first decent/expensive watch) and when trying to work out the size of the watch in comparison to my current watch, I held it up next my mine (a fairly cheap Seiko) and the member of staff got quite irritated and said that they don't allow either the Omega to touch other watches or they don't allow it to be held up to other watches (I can't remember the exact the words).

Whilst I know I was very careful with it and I didn't allow the watches to touch, I am curious to know why they said this. Was it because touching watches leads to the potential for scratching or was it because they were both battery operated (yes I know people have "issues" with quartz) there's some sort of issue with electronic pulses from the watches affecting each other? Or was it something completely different (like they don't like their watches to be compared with other brands)?

Otherwise I must say that I found the staff quite unhelpful (and I imagine that they're on commission, so a sale is more important than actual help) and I suppose they were a little condescending. I think next time I'll go into an actual jewellers because I think they'll be more helpful (and obviously show differences between brands), and perhaps one that sells a variety of price ranges so they would be more understanding when a customer is considering paying large amounts for a watch.

Sorry about the length (and the possible rant) of it but is this issue of touching watches common when purchasing and what does it relate to?

Re: Touching Watches

They said it because they are idiots. Take your business elsewhere.
    Steven
    Florida, USA

Sinn 103 St Sa LE
    Sinn 757 UTC
    Sinn U1
    Sinn 6100 Regulatuer
    IWC Aquatimer
    NOMOS Tangomat Datum
    Stowa Marine Original, 80th anniversary LE
    Stowa Seatime
    Doxa SUB750T Military Sharkhunter PVD
    Zinex Trimix GMT PVD LE Black Pirate
    Ocean 7 LM-2 GMT SE PVD
    Bathys Aquaculture MOP PVD
    Tissot TXL
    Seiko Kinetic Sportura SNL029P1 PVD
    Seiko Chronograph Sports 150
    Citizens Eco-Drive Calibre 8700 BL8000-03A
    Citizens Eco-Drive Largo Perpetual Calendar
    TX 730 w/ FlyBack Chrono
    Poljot Sturmanske Chrono
    Aristo Apucto HP6
    Casio ToughSolar ProTrek Titanium
    Various G's

I would imagine that they just don't know what they are talking about.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by State View Post
    Hi, I'm new here and this may be a basic question or not but here goes:

The other day I went into an Omega shop to look at the watches (as I intend to look at buying my first decent/expensive watch) and when trying to work out the size of the watch in comparison to my current watch, I held it up next my mine (a fairly cheap Seiko) and the member of staff got quite irritated and said that they don't allow either the Omega to touch other watches or they don't allow it to be held up to other watches (I can't remember the exact the words).

Whilst I know I was very careful with it and I didn't allow the watches to touch, I am curious to know why they said this. Was it because touching watches leads to the potential for scratching or was it because they were both battery operated (yes I know people have "issues" with quartz) there's some sort of issue with electronic pulses from the watches affecting each other? Or was it something completely different (like they don't like their watches to be compared with other brands)?

Otherwise I must say that I found the staff quite unhelpful (and I imagine that they're on commission, so a sale is more important than actual help) and I suppose they were a little condescending. I think next time I'll go into an actual jewellers because I think they'll be more helpful (and obviously show differences between brands), and perhaps one that sells a variety of price ranges so they would be more understanding when a customer is considering paying large amounts for a watch.

Sorry about the length (and the possible rant) of it but is this issue of touching watches common when purchasing and what does it relate to?
    Although handled poorly, I think the basic request is reasonable. The last thing they want is scratches on an expensive watch from someone who they do not know. You might have said something along the lines of:" I'm interested in the Omega, but I'm a bit concerned about size. I would like to see how it compares to this Seiko, which fits me very well." Put the ball into their court so to speak.

They're just afraid for scratches. I can understand you're a bit flabbergasted by their remark but I can also see why that sales employee wouldn't want customers to hold new watches against (or close to) their old watches to avoid the aforementioned scratches.

[edit] I see now that John MS posted the same just before me

Quote Originally Posted by John MS View Post
    Although handled poorly, I think the basic request is reasonable. The last thing they want is scratches on an expensive watch from someone who they do not know. You might have said something along the lines of:" I'm interested in the Omega, but I'm a bit concerned about size. I would like to see how it compares to this Seiko, which fits me very well." Put the ball into their court so to speak.
    I think that's fair. Depending on the circumstances. Perhaps they felt that the Omega was in jeopardy....

I think it's fair that they don't want scratches on their watches, it's entirely understandable although they didn't actually give me any reasoning behind the request (which led me to ask the question in the first place). Because knowing how some watch companies are quite particular over how their watches are displayed and sold, I didn't know if it had anything to do with that (such as "how dare Omega be compared with such an inferior brand/product", although most of their restrictions aren't really like that at all).

Actually aside from the request, I actually found the staff otherwise unhelpful as I have small wrists and they didn't really have clue as to suitable watches or wouldn't say that certain watches did look clearly unsuitable for my wrist (because they were more concerned with the sale).

Likely afraid of scratches.

However, just today I went to a Rolex AD wearing my Sub-date. I tried on the GMT IIc and slipped my Sub onto my wrist so they'd be sitting side-by-side. I never allowed them to touch, but they were close enough that they could've gently collided with each other. The salesman didn't say a thing about that.
    My Collection:
    Casio G-Shock GW-M5600-1CR
    Seiko Kinetic Auto Relay 5J21-0A10
    Seiko SKX031
    Seiko blue Atlas SKZ209
    Seiko Spirit GMT SBQJ015
    Seiko SKX781 Orange Monster
    Seiko SCVF001 titanium diver
    Seiko SBDX001 Marinemaster 300M
    Grand Seiko GMT SBGM027
    Hamilton Khaki Field Automatic
    Rolex Explorer I 114270
    Rolex Submariner-date 16610
    Omega Speedmaster Professional 3570.50
    Stowa Flieger Original 1
    Stowa Marine Original
    Stowa Marine 6425
    Tudor Pelagos 1
    Tudor Heritage Chrono

LUW

I would have said "Oh I'm sorry, I didn't know it was that fragile. Do you have anything that is a bit more rugged?".
    Cheers!
    Luciano

Quote Originally Posted by State View Post
    I think it's fair that they don't want scratches on their watches, it's entirely understandable although they didn't actually give me any reasoning behind the request (which led me to ask the question in the first place). Because knowing how some watch companies are quite particular over how their watches are displayed and sold, I didn't know if it had anything to do with that (such as "how dare Omega be compared with such an inferior brand/product", although most of their restrictions aren't really like that at all).

Actually aside from the request, I actually found the staff otherwise unhelpful as I have small wrists and they didn't really have clue as to suitable watches or wouldn't say that certain watches did look clearly unsuitable for my wrist (because they were more concerned with the sale).
    Having grown up in Healthcare Sales, there is nothing better than a customer that wants to do some comparison shopping, especially on my terms!

He/she should have begun with the features and benefits of the Omega versus the Seiko... broke out the loop for you to look at the details of both watches, talked about the finishing, the crystal, the movement the bracelet the case... pointing out each and every one of the deficiencies that you never knew your Seiko had...

At the end of the onslaught you would have been begging to be put out of your mercy, and buy the Omega....

Unless of course the Omega has trouble competing with your Seiko, or the salesperson is a gigantic twit.

Little of both I suspect.
    Seiko / Orient / Hamilton

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information