Tough decision... opinions welcome

Thread: Tough decision... opinions welcome

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Tough decision... opinions welcome

Dear all, thank you for looking. I was wondering on your opinions with regards to the following watches... which would you get and why?

1) Seiko SKX007

2) Black Citizen Nighthawk

3) Black Orient Mako (Thanks to Duder for suggestion)

4) Seiko 5 black

As you can see I have a particular taste for black watches... if you know of any other brands or models that may interest me, please let me know.
    Thank you in advance for your suggestions.
    I took the images from the net thus if you see your picture here, you have my thanks.
    Last edited by alphaCentauri; December 11th, 2011 at 21:11.

Re: Tough decision... opinions welcome

I'd guess the first two are the "best" watches, but I prefer the Seiko 5 because it looks expensive (like a Grand Seiko).

I personally would take the SKX007. I own the Blue Mako (while it may not be black it is a Mako nonetheless.), a Citizen Skyhawk (similar to your Blackhawk option), and a SKX007 I recently picked up.

Out of all the watches that I do own that you posted I personally enjoy the SKX007 the most for everyday wear. Although for my chronograph fix I will reach for my Skyhawk. If you are into chronographs you may want to check out the Citizen Skyhawk models. I don't quite remember which model no. was the 'blacked out' version but there is a solid black model.

My reasoning for picking the SKX007 over the Mako and Blackhawk are pretty simple. I view the SKX007 as a more versatile watch, while totally subjective to the person, its just what I see.

All 3 of those brands (Citizen, Orient, and Seiko) are all a tremendous bang for your buck. So you don't have to worry about which one is 'better'. Just simply which one aesthetically pleases you more.

Matter of fact, its on my wrist now. It says hi.

Name:  45366c35.jpg
Views: 920
Size:  116.6 KB

And if I might add another suggestion if you like all black watches you might wanna take a look at this beauty that many of us in the Affordables Forum recently jumped on.

http://www.deepbluewatches.com/daynightt25.html

Name:  c0b5bc6e.jpg
Views: 1178
Size:  110.8 KB

Its a Diver style watch similar to the SKX007 and Mako, but has Tritium Tubes on the hour markers and minute/hour hands. Tritium is a radioactive isotope of Hydrogen that glows from the Tritium's electrons consistently clashing. It glows strong for ~25 years straight, no charging in light needed for the stuff to glow. Its great in my opinion.

Just figured I'd try to throw a quick suggestion your way while you're deciding. It's on sale for $99.00 and its normal price is apparently $250.00.
    Last edited by exiLe; December 11th, 2011 at 21:36.
    -Matt

Collection
    Current: 116710BLNR ("Batman"), ♛ 116610LV ("Hulk"), ♛ 116600 ("SD4K"), ♛ Milgauss White Dial (hers), ♛ Oyster Perpetual 31 3,6,9 Blue Dial (hers), G Shock 7900B-1 Rescue Series
    Incoming:
    Wish List: JLC Master Control Date
    , Ω Speedmaster DSOTM (311.92.44.51.01.007), VC Overseas Blue Dial

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ljb187 View Post
    I'd guess the first two are the "best" watches, but I prefer the Seiko 5 because it looks expensive (like a Grand Seiko).
    Grand seiko... just googled it... wow, its so beautiful... one day... lol. Thanks for your opinion and your time.
    peace

Quote Originally Posted by exiLe View Post
    I personally would take the SKX007. I own the Blue Mako (while it may not be black it is a Mako nonetheless.), a Citizen Skyhawk (similar to your Blackhawk option), and a SKX007 I recently picked up.

Out of all the watches that I do own that you posted I personally enjoy the SKX007 the most for everyday wear. Although for my chronograph fix I will reach for my Skyhawk. If you are into chronographs you may want to check out the Citizen Skyhawk models. I don't quite remember which model no. was the 'blacked out' version but there is a solid black model.

My reasoning for picking the SKX007 over the Mako and Blackhawk are pretty simple. I view the SKX007 as a more versatile watch, while totally subjective to the person, its just what I see.

All 3 of those brands (Citizen, Orient, and Seiko) are all a tremendous bang for your buck. So you don't have to worry about which one is 'better'. Just simply which one aesthetically pleases you more.

Matter of fact, its on my wrist now. It says hi.

Name:  45366c35.jpg
Views: 920
Size:  116.6 KB

And if I might add another suggestion if you like all black watches you might wanna take a look at this beauty that many of us in the Affordables Forum recently jumped on.

Deep Blue Watches | DayNight - T25 Tritium - Tubes

Name:  c0b5bc6e.jpg
Views: 1178
Size:  110.8 KB

Its a Diver style watch similar to the SKX007 and Mako, but has Tritium Tubes on the hour markers and minute/hour hands. Tritium is a radioactive isotope of Hydrogen that glows from the Tritium's electrons consistently clashing. It glows strong for ~25 years straight, no charging in light needed for the stuff to glow. Its great in my opinion.

Just figured I'd try to throw a quick suggestion your way while you're deciding. It's on sale for $99.00 and its normal price is apparently $250.00.

wow... the deep blue is amazing... thank you so much... you just made my day! Tritium sounds awesome... Thank you for your opinion and your suggestions... I am pretty much gonna order one now.

1st

Of the ones you pictured, I prefer the Orient black Mako, but that's just me. To me, the design looks balanced and more clean.
    cottontop
    "What's time to a hog?" Junior Samples

All great choices so my suggestion is to get the one that best compliments your current collection.

I think the 007 is the best all-rounder. If you this is going to be your only watch I'd definitely recommend it over the others. Simple design so it can go with almost anything - even long sleeves since at 12mm thick it won't create an unsightly bulge on your cuffs. Solid build, great lume. Even if you add other watches to your collection, it's really tough to not find a use for the 007 since it can fill so many roles very well.

Both the Orient and the Deep Blue are more sport/casual design watches. If you're a t-shirt and jeans type of guy, then go for it 100% especially that Deep Blue...it's a screaming bargain and I can personally attest to the huge difference tritium makes when reading watches at night versus luminous paint. That's why it's hard for me to recommend that Seiko 5 black - it's a good watch, but versus the Deep Blue at $99 I'll pick the latter 10 times out of 10.
    Word of caution on PVD watches though - the PVD is just a coating. So if you're the type of guy who's rough on their watches the scratches are going to be noticed because it's going to be a white scratch on a black case.

I'm not a big fan of the Citizen Nighthawk's design so I won't comment on it ;)

As for the Orient - again a solid watch from a great company. The in-house movement is a major bonus in my eyes since it means they're trying to offer something unique in the market rather than just falling back on a default Miyota/ETA/Seagull movement. Again it all comes down to personal taste. Another good thing about the Makos are their versatility due to coming in so many color choices. I also wanted to get a Black Mako at first, but ended up buying A TON of black faced watches (also due to my preference for the look) so now I'm getting a Yellow Mako instead since I lack that color in my lineup =D

As a final note, I'm going to recommend another watch (which I've ended up recommending constantly in quite a few threads now)
    Name:  productImage1_17.png
Views: 876
Size:  148.2 KBName:  productImage1_16.png
Views: 877
Size:  145.5 KB

These are Bernhardt Field Divers: Bernhardt Watch. They cost $150 so its splits the Seiko 007 and the Orient. Movement is Ronda Swiss quartz (So very reliable). What you give up in automatic movement goes towards very solid construction. Bernhardt watches are a family run outfit - their watches are assembled in the USA using 316L Stainless steel and sapphire crystal on the case which is a rarity at this pricepoint.

I'd take the SKX007. I bought my SKX007, brand new from a local AD a number of months ago - it's basically me "go-to" watch for doing anything that I wouldn't want to put my Omegas though. For example, I'm flying back down to NZ in 3 hours (!), and am planning to backpack around the country for 3 months. The watch that'll be joining me? My SKX007, on an OD Green NATO.

It isn't the prettiest, or more feature packed watch out there, but it takes one hell of a good beating.

007 all the way. I have it, it is an excellent watch.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information