The toughest automatic or winding watch
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: The toughest automatic or winding watch

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

The toughest automatic or winding watch

What is the toughest winding or automatic watch one can buy? I am new to watches and have a lot to learn. I know quartz are more durable but strongly prefer mechanical / automatic watches. I am always on a budget so under $500 is ideal but would like to know what would be the best if money was no object. Thanks everyone 🙂

Re: The toughest automatic or winding watch

Generally speaking the toughest designation goes to Marathon watches (https://marathonwatch.com/) in any category that they play in. Their steel watches are relatively expensive, between $700 and $1000 but their fiber-reinforced plastic watches are within your price range and probably even tougher in terms of shock resistance.

In the luxury category, Omegas certainly have the credibility with their spaceflight certification and all, but they're a lot more expensive.

It should be noted though, that all modern mechanical movements use the same fundamental technology and will have the same general level of shock resistance (inferior to quartz).
    Last edited by watchNoob; June 7th, 2018 at 23:16.
    sefrcoko likes this.

Alpina makes some pretty tough watches. The Alpiner 4 series comes to mind. The "4" stands for the four key attributes of the watch: Anti-magnetic. Anti-shock. Water Resistant. Stainless Steel. I have an Alpina Alpiner 4 GMT. It also keeps pretty decent time, losing about 1 sec a day on the wrist. I don't think it's fair to compare water resistance as part of the criteria, because dive watches can have insane WR ratings, but not come close to the shock and antimag features of other watches. But I do think WR is important to be a tough watch.

This exact thread was introduced last year:
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/most...h-4296370.html

BTW, driving over a watch with a tank, like is shown in some commericals isn't very stressing. An M1A2 tank has a ground pressure from the tracks of 15.4 lbs/sq in, so a 42mm watch would have a whopping 33 lbs of pressure on the case (assuming the ground is totally rigid, which it is not). Think about it. A tank won't rip up normal streets with their tracks. It's designed to be agile and not get bogged down in soft ground. A very heavy footprint of a tank (or any other construction vehicle) would cause it to get stuck all the time. The ISO standard for watch drop test also is not as stressing as it seems, since the the test tries to replicate a 1m drop onto a hardwood floor. Not concrete or asphalt. Wood.
    Last edited by MissileExpert; June 7th, 2018 at 22:15.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks guys I really appreciate it and sorry for bringing up an old topic, my bad;)

Welcome to WUS O.P....
    In my experience Low Beat Movements like the Miyota 821 or Seiko NH35 are superior to higher beat(Eta 2824,Miyota 9015)movements when it comes to durability under duress,ability to hold regulation longer & length of time without needing service!!!Caveat to the Valjoux 7750 Chronograph movement which seems bulletproof..
    Maithree and sefrcoko like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent302 View Post
    What is the toughest winding or automatic watch one can buy? I am new to watches and have a lot to learn. I know quartz are more durable but strongly prefer mechanical / automatic watches. I am always on a budget so under $500 is ideal but would like to know what would be the best if money was no object. Thanks everyone
    Welcome to WUS! There are many ways to describe toughness. Water resistance, shock resistance, scratch resistance, magnetic field resistance, overall look, etc. The escapement and balance wheel are the components vulnerable to damage from being dropped or banged about. Shock absorbing jewel mounts used on all modern watches provide a level of protection but that section of a watch movement remains susceptible to damage regardless of price. What all are you looking for?

For kicks, have a look at Damasko, Dievas and Sinn. I think they may be along the lines of what you have in mind.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Vostock Amphibia would probably win at toughness/cost ratio.
    Camguy, Bucks and styrakaar like this.

If money were no object then anything would work. If it breaks you can buy another.
    But since you are on a budget it's best to let the idea of a 'tough" mechanical go and buy a G-Shock.

I am going to up tonight looking up all these watches it's going to be fun 😄 John ms I am looking for an EDC watch that is easy to read relatively simple and something that I can keep forever with proper maintenance. I heard that quartz are basically disposable, not sure if that's true 😞 as for price I wasn't sure if more money means more sturdy. I mean is there like a "Jeep" of the watch world that is automatic?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information