Toughest watches on a $200 budget? - Page 3
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Toughest watches on a $200 budget?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Re: Toughest watches on a $200 budget?

If you're going to go for a G-Shock.....really really look around. Go on all the different sites, some of the Japanese domestic sites, do your research here, just google the hell out of it. You'll find that there are sooooo many different styles and flavors to choose from. If you don't do your due diligence up front, and you just buy whatever's at your local mall, the odds are....a week later you'll spot some beautiful g-shock that was only manufactured in 2008 and only for Japan, but yet it'll be on eBay for $175 and will have you drooling, left with buyer's remorse. That's one way people end up with 20 g-shocks lying around. There's always some sweet g-shock out there that is just different enough....has just the right color combo or is just unique enough to get your blood pumping....do yourself a favor and shop around a bit and look for stuff off the radar.

If it's not a G-shock, a quartz luminox is better than any mechanical under $200 as a real beater watch IMO. The one pictured in the post above comes in a lot of colors and variations so I suppose the OP can find one to his liking.

g-shock was made for this purpose and can be had for 100 or less.
    newb watch collector/high-end watch admirer

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Name:  5600efi6.jpg
Views: 1572
Size:  170.3 KB

If I were 15 again, I would like a DW-5600e as my daily companion. It's the most basic G-shock and one of Casio's longest running lines. But what makes it so great is its durability and functionality for the price: about 45 bucks on Amazon. While certainly not a pretty watch, it's subtle enough in size and appearance to be worn during many occasions, a subtle and durable piece that makes it a true value in watch collecting. There are stories abound of its legendary durability, of the watch surviving years of use until its strap and bezel wear off the case.
    Rigel likes this.
    Just your average Japanese watch fan: Casio, Citizen, Seiko

View my collection **here**

View my feedback by clicking **here**

Your friendly neighborhood enabler,

Otto

How about a Suunto Core or Vector? Lots of great features and durable.
    -JP

A watch's propensity for failure is inversely proportional to its number of moving parts. All else being equal, a digital watch will withstand more punishment than an analog, and a quartz movement will withstand more punishment than a mechanical.

I'd go with a cheap, simple G-Shock. You can get them for around $40 if you get one of the basic models like the DW5600, DW9052, or DW6900. That would leave quite a bit of money in your budget to get a second, "nicer" watch for less demanding occasions, like a Citizen Eco-Drive or even an Orient Ray if you wanted to try out mechanical watches.

If you're looking at Orient, you might want to check out their "Flight" model as well as their divers. Definitely one of the standouts from Orient's recent offerings.

Last edited by LesserBlackDog; October 25th, 2013 at 03:20.
    Cheers,
    Ben "LBD"

The Seiko Monster is a tough diver that has a great look for someone your age.
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

Banned

Toughest watches on a $200 budget?

Quote Originally Posted by DaveTOG View Post
    Gshocks are great. Also consider a Luminox Sentry. About $175.

This is not a Sentry. This is nicer though. A lot nicer than the Sentry.

When I was 15, if I had $200...

Stay on the good path, young man.
    Last edited by Terpits; October 25th, 2013 at 07:15.

Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    A watch's propensity for failure is inversely proportional to its number of moving parts. All else being equal, a digital watch will withstand more punishment than an analog, and a quartz movement will withstand more punishment than a mechanical.

I'd go with a cheap, simple G-Shock. You can get them for around $40 if you get one of the basic models like the DW5600, DW9052, or DW6900. That would leave quite a bit of money in your budget to get a second, "nicer" watch for less demanding occasions, like a Citizen Eco-Drive or even an Orient Ray if you wanted to try out mechanical watches.

If you're looking at Orient, you might want to check out their "Flight" model as well as their divers. Definitely one of the standouts from Orient's recent offerings.

That's pretty cool, I hadn't heard about Orient's fliegers.

OP: There's a new G-Shock coming out in a month or two called the Rangeman that looks pretty neat. It's the first triple sensor G-shock and uses the new more accurate, more efficient, and smaller Gen 3 sensor. So it has a chrono, alarms, world time, countdown timer, auto backlight, data logs, 200m water resistance, altimeter, barometer, compass, thermometer, and pressure drop alarm. I might have forgotten a few features... Anyway, G-Shocks aren't really my thing but after seeing this one I'm planning to get it as my first G. Retail price has been set at $300 here for the US version, so it should drop under your budget once the discounters build up stock.

Another option is a $30-40 Casio tough solar. Lots of styling options, analog and digital models, often smaller than G-Shock, with a 100M WR (fine for the sports you mentioned). I don't care for the styling of most G-Shocks, myself. I prefer the styling of the Timex Ironman, but they just don't hold up well, in my experience.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information