Toughness of AR Coatings

Thread: Toughness of AR Coatings

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Toughness of AR Coatings

Specifically, I've got a Sinn 103 with a saphire crystal and AR coating on the outside, but short of peoples' first hand experience with that watch, I'd welcome owners of other coated crystals as well.

I've read here about AR coatings scratching, but I'm really not calibrated at all. My 9 day old crystal has already survived a number of light hits. What I'm wondering about concerns a particular application: motorcycling for several hours, with the watch under and in contact with a textile jacket. It's probably nylon; maybe polyurethane. It seems like this could scratch the AR coating, if it is delicate. If the coating is tough, it shouldn't be a problem.

Before I do the experiment and possibly come to tears, does anyone have any relevant experience to share?

Many thanks,

Joe

lvt

Re: Toughness of AR Coatings

I hear that people get rid of the outside AR coating by polishing it off.
    Ball - Casio (G-shock) - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

EHV

Some coating are tougher than others. I have read of some coming off easily and others taking a beating.
    I wish I could give you first hand experience with your specific watch. I have a Sinn U1 and I worry about the AR all of the time. It actually diminishes my enjoyment of the watch as do the constant smudges. I would like to remove it but I'm too chicken to attempt it.
    Some have removed their coatings with Cape Code cloths and for others it takes more oomph.
    There is a recent thread about how someone removed the coating on their Resco watch. Search that one out and there is a lot of other stuff here and on the net.
    You'll really need to protect the bezel if you choose to try a removal.

Ultimately, give it a go and if it starts to scratch, remove it or have a professional remove it. There's not much else you can do.
    It's a great look and it appears your just looking at the beautiful dial at times and it's easy to ready but I wish there were a standardized process to harden the outside AR coating.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned

Wear it and forget about the possibility of scratches. It is just a goddamn watch, for god's sake.
    No, fabric will not scratch it, but if you worry too much about the AR layer, and take your eyes of the road too much, the road surface will.

If you get scratches (not likely) you just take off the bezel (easy) and polish it off.
    My U2 is my beater. Beach, work on the house, gardening, you name it. First crystal 3 years and scratch free. Second crystal one year and scratch free.

I have 2 watches with double AR (inside and outside) an Omega PO and a Sinn U1. Both have several VERY SMALL blemishes that can't be seen unless you angle the crystal in the light. So to answer your question.....Yes they will scratch! I don't know how easily though because I'm VERY hard on my watches in my day to day activities, I don't baby them at all! For an example, my U1 has several scratches and 3 dings in the TEGIMENTED bezel! The bezel is supposed to be a LOT harder than normal 316 SS and I've managed to mangle it already!!

I will say though, as rough as I am on my watches I would expect there to be MUCH more damage to the AR than there is...So I guess it's pretty tough for avarage use!

The nylon jacket rubbing against the crystal while biking will more than likely cause some light abrasions to the AR. Why not strap it on the outside of the jacket for riding? (just to be safe)
    Buy the seller! "Trust but Verify" quote- Ronald Reagan....

Quote Originally Posted by Janne View Post
    Wear it and forget about the possibility of scratches. It is just a goddamn watch, for god's sake.
    No, fabric will not scratch it, but if you worry too much about the AR layer, and take your eyes of the road too much, the road surface will.

If you get scratches (not likely) you just take off the bezel (easy) and polish it off.
    My U2 is my beater. Beach, work on the house, gardening, you name it. First crystal 3 years and scratch free. Second crystal one year and scratch free.
    you mean...you decided to replace your crystal after 3 years due to scratches? Your sentence is a bit of a Hamlet .

Quote Originally Posted by Janne View Post

you mean...you decided to replace your crystal after 3 years due to scratches? Your sentence is a bit of a Hamlet .

The outer AR coating will scratch, but no great drama.

Here's what the AR coating looked like on my Omega X-33:

Light hairline scratches over most of the surface most visible when viewed at an angle. Smudges were also an annoyance.

After a couple of minutes with a micrifibre coth and some Polywatch:

No more scratches, no more smudges, and not a noticeably higher amount of reflections.

So go ahead and enjoy your watch knowing that if the scratches become annoying, you can just polish off yhe AR.

HTH
    "So?"
    -Andrew Breitbart 1969-2012

Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    The outer AR coating will scratch, but no great drama.

I'm glad you posted those pictures. We talk about scratches on AR as though it's a friggin death rattle. I could actually live with those scratches you showed and be proud of them, perhaps, as battle scars of life, just how we talk about the holy scratches on the bezel, case.

So what is the appeal to outer AR coating then?
    Seiko / Orient / Hamilton

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information