Tourbillon options.
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Tourbillon options.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Tourbillon options.

Hello all. So I was doing some research on open heart watches and came across Stuhrling tourbillon. I use to think tourbillon watches cost several thousand dollars so I never considered to ever get one. But when I came across some affordable ones by Stuhrling, I became interested. Anybody have information about this companies tourbillon models as far as quality? Any other recommendations for tourbillons under $800?
    Last edited by Rakumi; July 3rd, 2016 at 13:47.

Re: Tourbillon options.

There are several tourbillon watches available at this price, but generally the quality will be similar to that of a $100 - $200 watch - but with a tourbillon movement.

I once had a cheap tourbillon with a Liaoning movement. The movement itself was nothing special, but the rest of the case and dial was what made me sell it before long. Just not of comparable quality to many other watches in the $800 to $1,000 range.
    Brad (@bradwatch)
    - appreciating fine affordable watches since 2011

Minorva is one of several comparable brands that can be found on Ebay for under $1k. Search for threads on Chinese tourbillons on the Chinese Mechanical Watch forum here on WUS and ask for current advice there. You can spend a few thousand dollars for a better quality watch from companies such as Sea Gull. However you may not want to tie up much money in one because parts and service can be difficult to come by.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Considering the complexity of a tourbillon, this will definitely be a 'you get what you pay for' purchase. Chinese tourbillon will be cheaper, but at sub-$800 I wouldn't be overly optimistic at the longevity of the watch. I have no hands on experience but have read good things about Memorigin. They're a Hong Kong company but I think their tourbillon start at double your budget.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Consider where and $$$ for servicing.
    Watchbreath likes this.

Thanks you guys. So what about Stuhrling? Are they not a decent company? I one time wanted an open heart design but it was not high priority but the way the tourbillon moves, it has bumped its way up to a high want but only for an affordable price range. Do you think the Stuhrlings would last pretty long?

To me, schlock wannabe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rakumi View Post
    Thanks you guys. So what about Stuhrling? Are they not a decent company? I one time wanted an open heart design but it was not high priority but the way the tourbillon moves, it has bumped its way up to a high want but only for an affordable price range. Do you think the Stuhrlings would last pretty long?
    UberDave and 6R15 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakumi View Post
    Have you asked the Chinese watch gurus on the Chinese Mechanical Watch forum here on WUS yet? If not, please do.

Won't last any longer than other comparable watches of inexpensive Chinese origin. Chances are the watch will run for 5-6 years before showing signs of needing servicing. However it might be one of the ones that was not assembled properly and has problems early on. Although the quality of those watches has improved it is not close to Seiko, Citizen, etc.
    the.watchdoc likes this.

The best tourbillon that I have seen that is reasonably priced it the Tag Heuer model that is coming out soon. It is a Carrera tourbillon chronograph and I read that it has a constant force source of power to the tourbillon. Price is 15-16000 dollars. Way more than your price range but honestly you are not going to get a good tourbillon watch for your range. For what you are looking to spend you will get junk. Tourbillons usually cost a ton and the Tag is pretty amazing considering what you get for the price.

Stewart

Thanks all. So I jumped on a Stuhrling I seen. It looks pretty nice and should serve its purpose. I just love the look of the rotation. It is called the Viceroy Tourbillon with white dial and blue numerals. I have seen the Tag tourbillon and it looks nice. If it was my grail watch, I would probably have it in site but as something to add to the collection, I could not justify.
    balzebub and John MS like this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information