Tourneau discount policy?
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Tourneau discount policy?

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

For some inexplicable reason I woke up this morning with the desire to wear a suit. So as I was selecting a tie to go with my grey herringbone suit I was struck with an even more inexplicable inclination to investigate the Cosmograph Daytona I saw in the 'sexiest watch' thread. What's peculiar about this is that never in my born days have I ever even remotely desired a Rolex. But there's something perversely appealing about the Daytona in gold/steel that called for a closer look.

Now I have never set foot in an AD or any other place that sells the über spendy stuff, so I really didn't know the lay of the land. But after a fresh soft pretzel to steel my nerves I strolled into the local Tourneau, since they're the nearest Rollie AD. I took a quick spin through the displays and was surprised to find that even among the high end stuff there was precious little that called to me. A couple of Cartier Tanks, a Baume & Mercier or two, and that was about it. Funny how quite often things that look appealing in photos are really unimpressive in the metal. Disappointing.

Anyway, when I got to the Rolex case I was disappointed to see that the only Daytona they had was an all steel model, and what I was interested in was the yellow gold & steel two-toner. I asked one of the sales droids if they had the one I was looking for and he took me next door to their Rolex-only dept, where another droid found the two-tone. She was very pleasant, although not terribly knowledgeable once she got past the standard Rolex rhetoric. But she was very accomodating, took her time with me, and let me spend a good long while with the thing on my wrist. Although I had no intention of actually buying the watch we did talk money and financing. However, when I asked if there was any room to move on the price she said simply that they do not do discounts on Rolexs at all.

Is this standard practice for Rolex ADs? Does Rolex have some sort of no-discount policy? Is this a standard Tourneau policy? Or is it possible that she knew not wherefore she spoke?
    I am Dyslexia of Borg. Futility is resistant. Your ass will be laminated.

Re: Tourneau discount policy?

I've never tried to buy a Rolex (they don't really speak to me, and I think when I finally get around to considering buying a Submariner I think I'll change my mind), but from what I've heard Rolex is pretty much the hardest brand to get a discount on outside of those microbrands due to the brand recognition. You can get a discount, but supposedly it's hard. And supposedly at large chain ADs its really hard. That said, I've never been to a Tourneau.
    Current Collection - | Ball | Bvlgari | Casio | Citizen | Credor | Girard-Perregaux | Graham | Gübelin | Hamilton | Jaeger-LeCoultre | Longines | Minase | Mühle Glashütte | NOMOS Glashütte | Omega | Rolex | Seiko | Swatch | Undone | Vacheron Constantin | Victorinox Swiss Army |
    Mulling Over - | Minase Horizon | Reservoir |
    On deck - | Omega Speedmaster Apollo 8 Dark Side of the Moon |
    Waiting to be on deck - | Omega Speedmaster Apollo 11 50th Anniversary |

Yes, yes and maybe. Now if you were a major customer, everything changes.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The other thing I have been told recently by my local tourneau is if they do discount a watch the ability to finance goes out the window

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Watchbreath nailed it. Rolex and Patek are two of the toughest brands to get discounts on the SS Patek sports watches being probably the hardest. SS Daytonas went through a period where retail was actually a GOOD price but that is gone now except some ADS haven't got the message yet, even the gray market often offers them at a premium still. If you want one find a smaller AD and not knowing the reference number you should be able to get ten points off for most gold and TT models maybe a little better.

That's a better experience than I've ever had at a Tourneau...

If you have a relationship with the AD, you should be able to get a discount on Rolex.
    Donf likes this.

I've had ADs offer to take a marginal percentage off MSRP, but that's about it. Not even remotely close to the rates other ADs offer me for the likes of Omega. But it may be because I don't purchase from the Rolex AD frequently (read: at all). Like you, I don't have any particular attraction to Rolex.
    Last edited by czarcasm; August 26th, 2014 at 06:25.

I like watches.

most i ever had was 10% off
    TitanCi likes this.

It's basically impossible to get a discount on the SS Rolex models, the precious metal models tend to have some wiggle room. That said, it's hard to get a discount as Tourneau because, as I understand it, if the associate discounts the price at all they make no commission
    opticalserenity likes this.
    Instagram: @ryanwearswatches

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread Information