Is Tourneau really my only option...?
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Is Tourneau really my only option...?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Is Tourneau really my only option...?

So guys, if you've been keeping track of my medley of graduation present recommendation posts, I've finally decided that the IWC Portofino is what I truly want. No matter how many different options I look at, the Portofino is the one that I keep looking back to and keeping in an open tab on my Google Chrome. Only one problem remains though: Actually getting it. Granted I won't be buying now (Earliest being around November-December), but the only authorized dealer for IWC near me is the Tourneau in Chicago Water Tower Place. There is also Marshall Pierce and Company but I contacted them and they said they were no longer going forward with the brand, and that they never carried the Portofino anyway, which is a bummer because I hear nothing but great things about the service at Marshall Pierce. I went into Tourneau about a month ago, and was treated fairly nicely by a lovely woman who tended to my needs. She let me try on a bunch of different watches and let me take a pic of a Big Pilot on my wrist! (DREAMS DO COME TRUE!!) but the Portofino was not in stock for me to look at (I've seen it person before so don't think I'm going in here blind!) at the time, and she said she could get one in and she would contact me. A month later, no response, and I called in to be tended to by the manager, who said that HE could get one in, but that I'd have to tell him when I'd be able to come in (which is a lot more difficult than you'd think) and therefore set up an appointment to see the watch. Not only that, but I hear that negotiating with Tourneau nowadays is near impossible. I don't want the BEST deal, but I for sure don't want to pay full price. I mean, 15% off saves me more than $500, which is good for me, but since I'm younger (and my mom sucks at negotiating) I don't know if they'll take me seriously enough to give me any discount. So... is dealing with Tourneau my only option, or is there anything else I can do? Finding the thing second-hand seems tough at the moment (I don't mind second hand at all by the way! I might actually prefer it!). Also, on IWC's website says I can speak with (be it E-Mail or Phone) to talk about purchasing. Will that help me at all or will they just tell me "Well, Tourneau is a dealer in your location! Thanks for your interest! Buy! I mean bye!" Is this my ambition catching up to me telling me I'm not ready or worthy? Is it paranoia? Or will dealing with Tourneau really be my only option... Thanks by the way!

Re: Is Tourneau really my only option...?

There are authorized dealers all over the country who should be willing to give you a better price and fed-ex the watch to you. I'm sure people on here will be nice enough to PM you places.
    CitizenM likes this.

I dont think Torneau gives you any room for negotation anymore. I'd be very surprised if they even begin to discuss pricing. It seems widely acknowledged that that is a company wide move by them and that is to be expected.

You might be able to find other dealers who ship it to you as tigerpac said, but then you cant inspect the watch closely if you are into that sort of thing and then theres waiting for the package, risk of loss etc.

Also, have you considered broadening your search criteria, as in other cities nearby a few hours away? You can also consider picking it up somewhere you may travel to on vacation or otherwise. You can wait until you plan another trip and then find dealers there and try and pick it up.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

If you know its the one you want, why not just buy it online?

As others have said, you're free to use any AD and have it shipped to you. If there is a flaw, which is improbable, you can send it back for a refund/replacement or if it's noticed later (a month later or whatever) you can send it in for warranty service since you made sure to get it from an AD.

If you want to consider continuing with Tourneau just say "I am willing to pay X number of dollars for this watch, can you do that?" If not, that's fine, you just move on to a dealer that plays by industry standards regarding discounts.

I hate negotiating. I say here's my figure, is that good? No? Thank you for your time.

Agreed. I would trust any longstanding AD to send and insure it properly. I recently got a watch from a authorized dealer in South Florida even though I live 1500 miles away!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Panerai View Post
    If you know its the one you want, why not just buy it online?

I was in the NYC Tourneau this past weekend (trying on a couple of watches I shouldn't be thinking about buying, but that's another story!)

The sales guy informed me that if you buy there on the store credit card they give you a 10% credit for future purchases, so its a little better than just paying MSRP... but not too much.

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenM View Post
    As others have said, you're free to use any AD and have it shipped to you. If there is a flaw, which is improbable, you can send it back for a refund/replacement or if it's noticed later (a month later or whatever) you can send it in for warranty service since you made sure to get it from an AD.

If you want to consider continuing with Tourneau just say "I am willing to pay X number of dollars for this watch, can you do that?" If not, that's fine, you just move on to a dealer that plays by industry standards regarding discounts.

I hate negotiating. I say here's my figure, is that good? No? Thank you for your time.

I would find an AD that is willing to give you a discount even if they are out of state. If they are out of state you shouldn't have to pay sales tax either.

Tourneau is never an only option...Shute it shouldn't even be an option if you don't want to pay anything but retail.
    Calm down.....It's just a watch....

Yes, in many cases, Tourneau charges top dollar for many pieces. Yet, on the several I've purchased there, the service after the sale has made the difference in price well worth it. They service my purchases on regular intervals free of charge; purchase a protection plan for a bit more, and no matter the watch, it's going to be well taken care of - for life. When making an important purchase of a watch that's of the to-be-passed down variety - to me, that's any watch over $1,000 - quality service means more to me than saving a few pennies on the upfront. Frankly, I wish I could find an auto service that takes care of me with the care that my local Tourneau does. Maybe I just have a good one in my area, but hey - if this is a watch you truly covet, why not invest in the peace of mind that guaranteed service can provide?

I don't know sometimes. In this Walmart, Internet, gotta have it now and cheap world we live in, everything's moving so fast. However, if I was interested in saving money on every single thing I ever purchased, I'd choose another hobby; good watches simply aren't inexpensive. Just my two cents, with total respect to the OP.
    Last edited by Bahoomba; October 11th, 2012 at 05:41.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information