Tourneau Trip for myself and some commentary
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Tourneau Trip for myself and some commentary

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Tourneau Trip for myself and some commentary

So, I spent a good hour at Tourneau today, trying to figure out which Omega I want to get next month. I was dressed quite normally; stylishly, for sure, but casually, wearing jeans and sneakers. I'm young though, a lot younger than most people wearing Omegas. My Volkswagen didn't impress against the half dozen Ferraris I saw in the parking lot, either. But when I walked in, on a busy Saturday, I was greeted immediately by two salespeople and given personal attention for about an hour. So the King of Prussia location gets a big thumbs up for service from me.

I tried on a Speedy Pro sapphire on bracelet and truth be told, it did feel too small. I think it would feel better on a strap, but they didn't have one. I'll have to try some of my local jewelers to see if they have one. Then I tried the Planet Ocean XL on rubber, and man...I thought my Hamilton had a good rubber strap, but this blew even that away. I guess that's what the extra 10 fold in the price buys you. The PO XL definitely fit my wrist better, but it definitely wears smaller than its size. They didn't have an Aqua Terra chrono GMT for me to try, so I'm not sure what to do.

I did want the Speedy Pro with the manual wind movement, but I think I might have to go up a size and get the automatic Co-Axial movement to get the extra size. That is, unless small really is going to be in within the next few moments.

The saleswoman was quite nice and surprisingly knowledgeable (certainly not par for the course when it comes to Tourneau), and we were able to converse for a bit. She wore a smaller Breitling chronograph that's out of production, and mentioned that she wore a man's watch because Breitling doesn't make any automatics for women. It was sales incentive promotion item from where she used to work. While I was there, I took a look at some of the other watches they have.

IWC: Nice watches, but nothing really jumped out at me. The Aquatimer is really a very nice watch, but the PO just felt better to me and looked better finished. Their dressier watches look nice as well, but not really the thing I'd drool over. Some of the price tags on these watches are exorbitant, too, and nothing really made me feel like the $10,000+ was just quite worth it.

Breitling: Damn, the SuperOcean Heritage line is one of the most stunning in person. Gorgeous work in every form; the standard, the three dial chronograph, and the limited edition two dial chrono as well. The anadigi Breitlings just drip with that certain "this watch is meant to be used" that you don't get from a lot of watches. I really, really like these Breitlings, and I definitely see one in my future.

Panerai: I was a huge fan of Panerai in the past, ever since I first saw one at a local jeweler's in high school. But standing there in front of them today, handling a few, trying on a few, after handling the SuperOceans, they just failed to light a fire. I remember, even a few months ago, having to collect drool when looking at pictures at the base model with a 6497 and no seconds hand for $4000. But wearing it, wearing the ones that cost two times as much or more, I didn't really feel it.

Bremont: Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa. What amazing watches. Gorgeous, substantial, tool watches that are just that bit far from perfect. I know they take some heat, but for $4000-6000, they look and feel worth every penny. The cream dial ALT1-C....I looked over, saw it, and went weak in the knees.

I'm thinking of planning a bank heist so I can afford everything I want.
    TAG Heuer Monaco LE|Omega Speedmaster|Seamaster 300MC|Rolex Submariner|Tudor Ranger

How did it get so late so soon?

Banned

Re: Tourneau Trip for myself and some commentary

Saleswoman? Was it the cute brunette who's a little over 5 foot tall?

Nice write up. I recently bought an Omega AT at my local Tourneau and their service was excellent. Although my salesperson was not the most knowledgeable, he did wait on me attentively for about an hour. He gave me a decent discount, too. The FAD would have beaten it I'm sure, but I like to buy local when I feel the store is giving me a reasonable deal. Anyway, the Tourneau is close to where I work, so I took my Planet Ocean there recently to have the rubber straps removed and the metal bracelet installed and adjusted. I had purchased the Planet Ocean from another dealer in town and had purchased the bracelet from O'Frei. To my surprise, Tourneau installed and adjusted the bracelet for me for free, though they had quoted me $25 over the phone.

Certainly, Tourneau has a great selection, which makes it a good place to kill an hour or so and to sample a lot of good watches. I agree with your impressions of the various watch lines, though I still drool over Panerai. Unfortunately, the size of those watches is a bit much for my wrist size. I haven't looked to closely at the 40mm's in that line, but will pick up the nerve one of these days. The only IWC that really floats by boat is the 3717 Chrono, but I would probably still take a Speedy first.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Okay it's official, March is 'Praise Tourneau Month'. Who would have thought?

Great commentary. It's always great to try on some different time pieces and to kill some time. I usually do this all the time when my girlfriend is trying on hundreds of pairs of shoes at different stores..
    Regards,

Richard

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Watchbreath View Post
    That's how we counterbalance "bash Tourneau" month in February.

Man, was that a bust.
    Quote Originally Posted by ulackfocus View Post
    That's how we counterbalance "bash Tourneau" month in February.

Quote Originally Posted by ulackfocus View Post
    Saleswoman? Was it the cute brunette who's a little over 5 foot tall?
    She was a brunette about 5'5" in shoes, but she was in her 40s or early 50s. Twice my age.
    TAG Heuer Monaco LE|Omega Speedmaster|Seamaster 300MC|Rolex Submariner|Tudor Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by Watchbreath View Post
    The discounts are still rubbish though. I wouldn't actually buy a watch there. It was like a trip to Best Buy to see what you want to order from Amazon.
    On The Run likes this.

Not if your a 'Diamond Customer'.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    The discounts are still rubbish though. I wouldn't actually buy a watch there. It was like a trip to Best Buy to see what you want to order from Amazon.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information