Toywatch

Thread: Toywatch

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Toywatch

My wife watched Oprah's Favorite Things episode yesterday, and she told me that one of the favorite things was watches from TOYWATCH. She asked if i have ever heard of them... I hadn't.

http://www.oprah.com/presents/2007/h..._350_103.jhtml

According to Oprah and the TW web site, TOYWATCH is the latest must-have among the celebrity set.

TOYWATCH designs are blatantly ‘inspired’ by famous Rolex and Chanel models, they are made of plastic, and I can’t tell where they are made - Asia?

Their About Us page says “TOYWATCH was brought to the USA in the summer of 2006. An anti-luxury statement in a luxury obsessed culture…” Anti-luxury in that they are cheap and plastic, or in that they are rip-offs of legitimate luxury timepieces? For the same money, buy an affordable Swiss watch and make the same statement :)

http://web1.toywatchusa.com/about/
    (I'd rather be driving)

Re: Toywatch

The sales guy at one of my local Ball Watch AD was wearing one of these creations about a year ago. He told me that next door Neiman Marcus was selling the ToyWatch brand for about $250 bucks. He said he walked down the block to Filene's basement and got an even better version for about $50 bucks. He bought a couple for gifts.

While I was not floored by these so-called timepieces, I was intrigued. I walked over to Neiman's and I saw the ToyWatch brand. I was not impressed; particularly for $250. I then walked down the block to Filene's Basement and sure enough adjacent to the display case featuring Omega, Cartier, TAG, and other reputable brands, was a plastic timepiece that looked more substantial than that of the ToyWatch brand. The company is called K&BROS. Definitely Asian.

These watches were significantly reduced to $30. While not in love with these watches, I like my sales guy thought they would be novel gifts from a known watch lover. I bought 11! I gave away 7 and kept foor as beaters.

ToyWatch is actually an Italian company by the way. If your wife really likes this style of watch, the Invicta Anatomic watches are better made and less expensive.

Good ole' Oprah has become the trendy watch critic of choice for Women all over. She has endorsed Philip Stein, ToyWatch, and Renato. I'm Surprised she didn't endorse Grimoldi - formerly partially owned by her friend Russell Simmons.
    Rolex Submariner
    Zenith Chronomaster XT Open El Primero

Omega Seamaster James Bond 007 Limited Edition
    Kobold Comanche
    Helson Sharkmaster
    Sinn U1
    Alpina Extreme Diver

Maurice Lacroix Miros
    Ball B&O First Mile

Edox Classe Royale Open Heart Automatic
    Shinola Brakeman 46

Luminox 3000 Navy Seal Diver
    Hamilton Khaki Navy Sub
    Seiko Black Monster
    Citizen Ecozilla
    Deep Blue Sunray Diver 1k
    and various other makes and models

Thanks for the info! I read that TW was Italian, but their site doesn't say where the watches are made. Have any photos of the K&BROS?
    (I'd rather be driving)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I was surprised that they use tritium instead of luminiva. What is an "independant second hand" anyway?
    Don

Here are some stock photos. As you can see, some interesting designs based on popular brands. Will send some actual pictures of the models I own also pictured here when I get new camera.
    Rolex Submariner
    Zenith Chronomaster XT Open El Primero

Omega Seamaster James Bond 007 Limited Edition
    Kobold Comanche
    Helson Sharkmaster
    Sinn U1
    Alpina Extreme Diver

Maurice Lacroix Miros
    Ball B&O First Mile

Edox Classe Royale Open Heart Automatic
    Shinola Brakeman 46

Luminox 3000 Navy Seal Diver
    Hamilton Khaki Navy Sub
    Seiko Black Monster
    Citizen Ecozilla
    Deep Blue Sunray Diver 1k
    and various other makes and models

My wife also mentioned it to me, she has come around on watches [how could you not living with me?]. I told her to bring up the website...the second it popped up she said "oh these just look like garbage!"

After paging through the site it's obvious they are way overpriced for what you are getting. $300.00 for what is probably a miyota chrono...when you can get a decent solid piece with the same movement for $80.00 if you look hard enough.

it's just another case of Oprah-mania...only this time it's actually a piece of junk she is promoting. I have been looking around for a few minutes...they seem to promote that they are "Italian Designed" like crazy...which is code for "asian made". Funny thing is...that's fine! If it's an asian made watch...tell me...if the thing works well & is of good quality I'd probably still buy it [if the price point matches what youa re selling]...I'm not too picky when it comes to watches...its a very visceral purchase...if I like...I buy...just be honest.

Can you imagine how many of these watches are going to sell on the run up to the holiday season because of Oprah?? yikes...that's going to be a lot of disappointed people in about 3 months [IMHO].
    Last edited by Craig M; November 22nd, 2007 at 20:45.
    Cheers!
    Craig M.
    Somerville, MA
    The Escapement Watch Blog
    The Escapement on Twitter

“If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker.” - Albert Einstein

Watches:
    Breitling Super Avenger Chronograph . Rolex Rebberg Trench Watch . Tag Heuer F1 Chrono . Tissot T-Touch . Tissot T-Race . Million Smart Flying Tourbillon . Zodiac Dragon Wing . Invicta Skeleton 3379 . Invicta Pro Diver 8926 . Scooby-Doo Chrono [A7750] . Alpha "Sea" . Alpha Jump Hour . Vostok CK-1 Orange . Poljot 2614.2H Movement . Gruen Quartz 'Soviet' . G-Shock GW300A-1V / G9000-8V 'Stormtrooper' . Timex Perpetual Calender . Vintage Helbros [Felsa 690 Mvt] ....Among others

Go Yankees!

Im only guessing but i would say that some 5 year old in China is putting these together,and i cant believe the $$$ for these things I agree that Invicta makes a Great watch for the Money! (i own 5) I would never pay $200 + for a POS like that "toywatch" $30 is more like it! If you want to make a statement you DON'T pay $200 for a "Toy" thats just IMHO :thanks
    Take Care,
    Rich
    Breitlings-Colt II Black,Emergency Yellow,Super Avenger Blue,SuperOcean Steelfish Black
    Balls-Engineer Hydrocarbon "Mad Cow" White,Engineer Master II Diver Orange,Fireman 43mm White
    Tag Heuer's-4000 Grey, Formula1 Black
    Hamilton-Khaki Action Cronograph
    Citizen-Aqualand Duplex Black
    Seiko-Sports100 chronograph moonphase
    Bulova-WW II "hack" replica
    Fortis-Flieger Black

Their customer service sucks too..

I have 2 of these watches and i found that on one of my watches, one of the decorative white dot on the face of the watch dropped off a while back and couldn't find it. I email their customer support a few times and received no replies..

Should've gotten the $30 versions instead...

Oprah is a marketing machine. I'm sure she's endorsing that brand specifically cause they advertise in her magazine and that the brand is inexpensive so that the average person would buy it.

Oprah wore a midsized all gold Cartier Pasha for a few years on her show and created a huge demand for the $30,000 watch.Anything sells on her show when she wears or talks about it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information