Traveling With Your Watch

Thread: Traveling With Your Watch

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Traveling With Your Watch

Howdy all,

My first mentionable watch arrived in the post yesterday, an Omega 2255.80 (and yes, I am rapturously in love!). However, I have to fly to Panama in a few days to move a boat. So, I was wondering....

What do you do when you have to travel and you don't consider your favorite watch an easily replaceable commodity? Do you have a traveling, beater watch or have you had any problems with wearing your "good" watch to second and third world countries?

Any issues with airport security (You know, when you take everything most valuable to you and put it on a conveyor belt and wave forlornly)?

Would this be a good time for me to invest in a replica (gasp!!)?

All the best now.

Re: Traveling With Your Watch

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Pip View Post
    Howdy all,

My first mentionable watch arrived in the post yesterday, an Omega 2255.80 (and yes, I am rapturously in love!). However, I have to fly to Panama in a few days to move a boat. So, I was wondering....

What do you do when you have to travel and you don't consider your favorite watch an easily replaceable commodity? Do you have a traveling, beater watch or have you had any problems with wearing your "good" watch to second and third world countries?

Any issues with airport security (You know, when you take everything most valuable to you and put it on a conveyor belt and wave forlornly)?

Would this be a good time for me to invest in a replica (gasp!!)?

All the best now.
    If you are worried buy a cheap beater. Don't go down the replica route.

If i were you, and absolutly HAD to have my seamaster (beautiful choice BTW ) and go to a place like Panama. I would buy an alpha homage version for $40. Its not a crap fake, its a well made watch that looks almost identical, but no Omega name on it. Its automatic also, and the bracelet on it feels almost the same !

I had a Speedmaster version that alpha made since i used my real speedmaster money on my US citizenship, and i was very pleased with its quality.

Or just take your cheaper watch or two, i wear one, and have another one in my carry-on bag. I now bought a pelican case that sotres 4 watches, completely secure, lockable, and completely waterproof! you should check out this thread about them, theyre cheap and amazing!

heres an informative thread on them
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=201907

AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, WELCOME TO WUS!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

There isn't a problem IMO. I think bell and ross is the best watch for travelling. I think that metal isn't as good for travelling b/c it is heavy and depending where you go the metal might react to the humidity.

Quote Originally Posted by sailor pip View Post
    would this be a good time for me to invest in a replica (gasp!!)?
    No.

I always travel with 2 or 3 watches and the only issue I have is choosing which ones stay at home.
    JD
    Current rotation

More than last year less than next year, consolidation not withstanding

Mate - congratulations on buying a truly awesome watch!

dont do the replica thing even if you own the real thing
    Its probably partnering with the unethical and illegal, and is certainly way uncool

You actually paid a premium for your watch because Omega have to direct a small fortune to prosecute counterfeiters and need to recoup that
    by putting it on the price of the real thing!

Wear the watch you've been wearing up till now and leave that sweet Omega at home (you dont want that crashing on the boat) and have something to look forward to on returning

s
    Last edited by Simon; March 23rd, 2009 at 11:58.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose" Jim Elliot - Missionary, Martyr

Get insurance on it. You can usually insure it through your home policy and be covered even when abroad.

Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean Chrono 2910.50.81

Quote Originally Posted by hernan1304 View Post
    Get insurance on it. You can usually insure it through your home policy and be covered even when abroad.
    +1.

Also, I always travel with a backpack. I put my watch in the backpack in a little pocket before I go through the line. That way the watch is in my bag, and I don't have to take it off and put it on some tray, just banging around...or falling into sticky fingers. I have read several stories, one recently over on the Doxa forum, about people having there watches go missing from the plastic thing they have you put your keys, watch, belt, etc. in. I figure I can watch my backpack the whole time, and if they want to go through it, I will be right there.

After I am through security, while putting back on my shoes, I put my watch back on.

Have not traveled to Panama, so I guess whether you take your new baby (very nice by the way), will depend on what kind of environment you will be in. If you are worried about someone mugging you and stealing it, then you might want to leave it homw and take a g-shock. But unless you are going to be solo in an unsavory area, wearing the watch will be a shared adventure.
    Steven
    Florida, USA

Sinn 103 St Sa LE
    Sinn 757 UTC
    Sinn U1
    Sinn 6100 Regulatuer
    IWC Aquatimer
    NOMOS Tangomat Datum
    Stowa Marine Original, 80th anniversary LE
    Stowa Seatime
    Doxa SUB750T Military Sharkhunter PVD
    Zinex Trimix GMT PVD LE Black Pirate
    Ocean 7 LM-2 GMT SE PVD
    Bathys Aquaculture MOP PVD
    Tissot TXL
    Seiko Kinetic Sportura SNL029P1 PVD
    Seiko Chronograph Sports 150
    Citizens Eco-Drive Calibre 8700 BL8000-03A
    Citizens Eco-Drive Largo Perpetual Calendar
    TX 730 w/ FlyBack Chrono
    Poljot Sturmanske Chrono
    Aristo Apucto HP6
    Casio ToughSolar ProTrek Titanium
    Various G's

Play it safe don't take it. Take a Seiko dive watch,a 007. You are moving a boat...what if Somalian pirates attack you?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information