Travelling overseas with watches.

Thread: Travelling overseas with watches.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    axelf71

Travelling overseas with watches.

I posted this thread originally in the dive forum but decided that this is probably the place it should be.

I am travelling to South Africa (Cape Town) in 3 weeks for a holiday to visit relatives. I have been spending too much time thinking about which watch to wear for the trip. I know this topic has been covered previously on WUS, but given the impression that SA isn't the safest place on earth, should I take more than one watch with me?

I was looking at maybe taking 2 for the trip. A "relatively expensive name brand" for the actual plane travel and going out to dinner etc, and a "cheaper less obvious" item for general day to day sight seeing duties. I was going to take my Artego as the general duties victim, as I figured the white dial and rubber strap wouldn't let it be mistaken as a "top-shelf" item to would be thieves.

This leaves me with the dilemma of deciding whether to take another for more "restricted" activities, probably one of my TAG Heuer's. Even though they are both covered by insurance, would it be worth the risk? Anyone here travelled to SA recently? I have queried my relatives on this obviously, but I feel that since they have lived there so long and love the place, their opinion may be jaded somewhat. Cheers.

Re: Travelling overseas with watches.

South Africa? No offence, but I wouldn't wear a watch at all. That place is deadly
    Tag Heuer Carrera
    Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean
    IWC Portuguese 7 Days
    Panerai Luminor Marina 312
    Jaeger-LeCoultre Master Ultra Thin Moon 39

Bring one watch: a cheap Timex.

Sodiac
    Too many watches, only two wrists and never enough time...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I would say it depends on where you are going.. If you're planning on hanging out in the ghetto at night I would leave the watch at home and bring a gigantic ex-spetznaz instead.

I know loads of people that have been travelling around SA without being robbed/stabbed/etc and had an awesome experience.

Banned

I have been to SA as a tourist and it is not as bad as you will hear from people. You just need to be smart enough and not to go to wrong places; which is no different in any big and unfamiliar city in the world. One piece of travel advise for SA is make sure you shrink wrap your luggage. The staff at Jozie airport can be a bit too eager on finding out whats inside your suitcases. Its a great country and I am sure you will enjoy your vacation.

Back to watches, only advise I will give you is to take only one watch, whichever you decide. Only thing more troubling then worrying about watch on your wrist is worrying about what you left back in the hotel!

I am surprised by all the negative commentary about South Africa. I have never been there myself, but my brother-in-law who lives in the US now is from Cape Town. He and my nephews go back and forth to SA all the time and have never, once, had a bad incident. You can get attacked and robbed anywhere in the world. Every time you wear your watch outside your house you run that risk. So, the question for me would be, how much is the pleasure of having a nice watch with you mitigated by the worry of keeping it safe? If it were me, I think I'd bring the one Artego and leave it at that. Are you staying in hotels or private homes? I hate the idea of leaving expensive items I cherish in a hotel room, anywhere in the world. Not just South Africa.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Manolete View Post
    I think I'd bring the one Artego and leave it at that.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by axelf71 View Post
    I posted this thread originally in the dive forum but decided that this is probably the place it should be.

I am travelling to South Africa (Cape Town) in 3 weeks for a holiday to visit relatives. I have been spending too much time thinking about which watch to wear for the trip. I know this topic has been covered previously on WUS, but given the impression that SA isn't the safest place on earth, should I take more than one watch with me?

I was looking at maybe taking 2 for the trip. A "relatively expensive name brand" for the actual plane travel and going out to dinner etc, and a "cheaper less obvious" item for general day to day sight seeing duties. I was going to take my Artego as the general duties victim, as I figured the white dial and rubber strap wouldn't let it be mistaken as a "top-shelf" item to would be thieves.

This leaves me with the dilemma of deciding whether to take another for more "restricted" activities, probably one of my TAG Heuer's. Even though they are both covered by insurance, would it be worth the risk? Anyone here travelled to SA recently? I have queried my relatives on this obviously, but I feel that since they have lived there so long and love the place, their opinion may be jaded somewhat. Cheers.
    When my wife and I travel we each take just one watch and it stays on the wrist, no matter the country. Unless you have a secure place to store your extra watches while you are away visiting relatives you will be faced with having to take all three watches with you. My rule applies equally to all countries.

Quote Originally Posted by Bergarn View Post
    I would say it depends on where you are going.. If you're planning on hanging out in the ghetto at night I would leave the watch at home and bring a gigantic ex-spetznaz instead.

I know loads of people that have been travelling around SA without being robbed/stabbed/etc and had an awesome experience.
    i managed to spend two weeks in jo-berg two years ago. i purchased a yellow dial aquaracer chronotimer for the trip and somehow i returned home with life, limb, my watch, and some very nice memories

played a lot of golf too

to the op, wear what you like, but exercise common sense, and listen to the little voice that we often override with "reason"; it's there to warn us
    Enjoying a life far better than I deserve...

Cape Town is not SA, please... Cape Town is very much like a European town - it has its dark suburbs but overall as safe as any EU town.

At the same time, for piece of mind, and as John MS said already - wear cheap watches on travel, so you have little or no regret if you scratch/lose/destroy it.

You will love CT, especially if you have time to explore the Peninsula
    The 1st Rule of WUS Club is: No Pictures - No Help.
    The 2nd Rule of WUS Club is: No Pictures - It Didn't Happen.
    The 3rd Rule of WUS Club is: Read the rules on top of the page.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information