Tried on a Ceramic Rolex Submariner today. WOW!!
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Tried on a Ceramic Rolex Submariner today. WOW!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Tried on a Ceramic Rolex Submariner today. WOW!!

I had the impression from photos that it would be larger. Also, the cyclops did not bother my 45 year old eyes at all. I could see the date clearly.

I thought it was the kind of watch that would stick out like a Ferrari or a blonde with a mini skirt. It is not.

I got the sense that it would just blend in and probably not even noticed by most people unless they are specifically looking to see WHAT type of watch I was wearing.

I liked the flat back and low profile. It was very comfortable.

I was thoroughly impressed.

Asia - HK, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Shanghai

Re: Tried on a Ceramic Rolex Submariner today. WOW!!

i'd be great to give some pics here...

Quote Originally Posted by seanwontreturn View Post
    i'd be great to give some pics here...
    Go ahead. I'd love to see them.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Yeah, it's a nice watch - let down by just one thing: it's popularity.
    Perseus likes this.
    Current Collection: Sinn U1; Omega Speedmaster 3570.50; Seiko SARB033; Casio PRW-3000-1A, G-5600A-7DR; Jaeger Le-Coultre Reverso Grande Taille; Hamilton Khaki Field Mechanical ref. H69429931; A. Lange & Sőhne 1815 UP/DOWN; Swatch Sistem51, and some others...

When I tried one on, my first impression was, "is that all?". I was expecting something more captivating. It is a sharp watch, no doubt, and great looking. It just isn't as eye catching as I thought, and honestly I left questioning the value for the price tag. I also thought the 40mm size was a little underwhelming for my wrist. It's not that I wouldn't gladly take one, or happily wear one if I had one, but I cannot see going in that direction for a diver for the price at the moment.

The Rolex I am more taken with now is the Explorer. While the Submariner almost feels underwhelming for a diver, the Explorer seems just right as an all around dress/casual wearer. My gut says, when I get around to having the budget for a Rolex (likely several years from now), that it will be the Explorer, not the Submariner that I will opt for.
    BusyTimmy and starbot like this.
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

Funny I tried the ceramic Submariner(ar..Non-date) last weekend as well

The weight, the new bracelet, SEL, clasp and bezel are top notch but the case itself "sticks-out" quite a bit from the old oyster case.

The square lugs is throwing me off
    Rolex Submariner 114060
    Rolex Milgauss GV 116400
    Omega Speedmaster Professional Hesalite/Sapphire Sandwich 3572.50
    Omega Seamaster Professional Ceramic 300M
    Officine Panerai Luminor 1950 372P
    Officine Panerai Luminor Base 000M
    Officine Panerai Radiomir Blackseal 380P
    IWC Pilot's MK XVIII "Le Petit Prince" IW327004
    Seagull x WUS Moonphase #7
    Casio G-Shock "Mudman" G-9000
    Swatch Sistem51 "Hodinkee" Vintage 84

JR1

ceramc subs just don't do it for me. the lugs are too fat the case looks to square for my taste. the and the ceramic bezel looks like plastic to me. but i just love the glidelock clasp. YMMV, but i think it would look great for bigger wrists. i got a 6.5" wrist, and i prefer the preceramic sub. if i am going to buy a rolex today i would get the explorer 1 in 39MM.

peace, just my 2C. :)
    iam7head likes this.

Tried it and I love the new glidelock clap on the SubC but the square lugs prevented me from pulling the trigger (as much as I like the 114060).

Put it back into the 16610 case, give it a ceramic bezel and the new bracelet and I think we have winner.
    Last edited by mew88; October 15th, 2013 at 08:09.
    iam7head likes this.

I love mine, and most if not all my friends and family wouldn't have a clue what I'm wearing unless I've told them that its a Rolex. The average joe blow won't have a clue what your wearing and even if they get close enough to read the face you'd have to wonder why they are in your personal space!!

But one, you won't regret it!!!
    BusyTimmy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mpalmer View Post
    When I tried one on, my first impression was, "is that all?". I was expecting something more captivating. It is a sharp watch, no doubt, and great looking. It just isn't as eye catching as I thought, and honestly I left questioning the value for the price tag. I also thought the 40mm size was a little underwhelming for my wrist. It's not that I wouldn't gladly take one, or happily wear one if I had one, but I cannot see going in that direction for a diver for the price at the moment.

The Rolex I am more taken with now is the Explorer. While the Submariner almost feels underwhelming for a diver, the Explorer seems just right as an all around dress/casual wearer. My gut says, when I get around to having the budget for a Rolex (likely several years from now), that it will be the Explorer, not the Submariner that I will opt for.
    This was my experience too and I opted for the new explorer II which was even more awesome in person. The sub felt like bad value for money when I compared it to my planet ocean.

Fast forward and I found appreciation for the green subc. It's different enough and quite unique, so I chose it as my second Rolex. And while I'm happy with both of theses purchases, the explorer II is hands down my favourite of the two. In fact, it's my favourite watch ever.
    samanator likes this.
    Current Collection: Sinn U1; Omega Speedmaster 3570.50; Seiko SARB033; Casio PRW-3000-1A, G-5600A-7DR; Jaeger Le-Coultre Reverso Grande Taille; Hamilton Khaki Field Mechanical ref. H69429931; A. Lange & Sőhne 1815 UP/DOWN; Swatch Sistem51, and some others...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information