Tritium on lume

Thread: Tritium on lume

Tritium on lume

Has anyone ever modified a watch with lume to also have tritium tubes? Would it keep the lume going or is it too weak.
    ​Oris Artellier 7545A s.s. pointer | Longines Heritage 1954 Chrono | Sinn 556A | Seiko SARB065 Cocktail | Seiko SBDC001 Sumo | Seiko SRP024-K1 | Seiko 6M13-0010 Age of Discovery

Re: Tritium on lume

Tritium tubes themselves are sealed glass rods containing both tritium and conventional lume paint. The tritium undergoes beta decay and that energy is used to excite the electrons in the lume paint to induce phosphorescence. Adding trit tubes to a conventionally lumed watch would be difficult (hard to find the tubes and they are a controlled item since they are radioactive after all) and to be honest, would make the existing lume glow any brighter.
    Lots of dive watches.

That sttikes me as didficult to implement neatly and redundant. What areyou trying to accomplish that tritium paint or tubes will not do on their own.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Lume dies out, tritium keeps glowing. I dont like the tritium tubes on their own, esthetically speaking.

It's saturday night and was just thinking.
    ​Oris Artellier 7545A s.s. pointer | Longines Heritage 1954 Chrono | Sinn 556A | Seiko SARB065 Cocktail | Seiko SBDC001 Sumo | Seiko SRP024-K1 | Seiko 6M13-0010 Age of Discovery

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingDutchman View Post
    Lume dies out, tritium keeps glowing. I dont like the tritium tubes on their own, esthetically speaking.

It's saturday night and was just thinking.
    Then use tritium paint in place of photo luminescent paint. Or put your watch under a lamp for about 10 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by John MS View Post
    Then use tritium paint in place of photo luminescent paint.
    Isn't new tritium paint impossible to find now?

Ball Engineer II Ohio (NM1026C-SJ-WH) | Hamilton Khaki Aviation (H76565125) | Omega Dynamic III (5250.50.00) | Omega De Ville (BA 161.024) | Tag Heuer Kirium Chronometer (WL5112) | Victorinox Cavalry (Marlboro Edition)

Quote Originally Posted by dkouzou View Post
    Isn't new tritium paint impossible to find now?
    I have read about tritium microsphere paint for a couple of years. For those of us who require 24/7 glowing dials if aapted to watches.

Quote Originally Posted by John MS View Post
    I have read about tritium microsphere paint for a couple of years. For those of us who require 24/7 glowing dials if aapted to watches.
    I've read about it too... & don't hold your breath. I think that company (MFK Co), instead of developing and bringing tritium microsphere paint to market, has focused its limited resources on developing batteries.
    Last edited by dkouzou; November 28th, 2011 at 19:05.

Ball Engineer II Ohio (NM1026C-SJ-WH) | Hamilton Khaki Aviation (H76565125) | Omega Dynamic III (5250.50.00) | Omega De Ville (BA 161.024) | Tag Heuer Kirium Chronometer (WL5112) | Victorinox Cavalry (Marlboro Edition)

Another thing to consider is that the hands would most likely have clearance issues with tubes on them. I have no idea if that's an easy fix or not.

good point

Thread Information