Triton Subphotiqhe arrived initial impressions
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: Triton Subphotiqhe arrived initial impressions

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Triton Subphotiqhe arrived initial impressions

So I went against the majority and picked up the Triton subphotique. Just arrived today from Germany. Initial impressions are fabulous. I would say the only thing that I need to figure out is the sizing of the bracelet because there is no micro adjustment in the clasp. Luckily the links are narrow, but there aren't any half links so right now I seem to be in between what might be a little big and what might be a little snug. We'll see what happens when I head outside in colder weather.

So the initial impressions are that it is a substantially built watch. Has a lovely weight to it, which I really like, and the bracelet really drapes around the wrist.

Speaking of the bracelet, it has a satin brush finish except the edges of each link have a polished beveled edge. The outside of the links are polish as well. The top of the case is a satin brush and the sides of the case are polished.

The Sunburst dial is absolutely tremendous, the applied indices really pick up the light and almost glow at certain angles. Maybe my favorite part is the sapphire covered bezel.

While it doesn't have any micro adjustments in the bracelet, one thing that I really like about the bracelet is that what looks like a butterfly clasp is actually a deployment clasp that has links all the way up to the smaller clasp. It really brings the bracelet fully around the wrist which is different than anything I have.

The thing that's most recognizable about this watch is the 12 crown. It's an unusual look that I really think is cool. You can't undo it while it's on the wrist, but when you take it off the lug surrounding the crown tilts independently giving you access to the crown.

For those who may not be familiar, Triton was a brand in the 1960s, and their watches were used by the French military. They had watches that went up against the Rolex Submariner and the blancpain fifty fathoms, and at the time it was actually the most expensive of the three. Jacques Cousteau and shows this is a watch to sell in his diving stores.

When the quartz boom came on, like many other brands, they were not able to survive. A few years back, two French watch collectors had come across an original Triton and to make a long story short, they restarted the brand and decided to make a modern interpretation of the Vintage diver.

Everything about it oozes luxury, though some would be disappointed that it has a soprod movement. I actually like that it has a movement that would be less expensive to service.

The owners of the company decided that they wanted to focus on making everything about the case, bezel, bracelet, and dial as high-end as possible and in order to keep the price below the luxury brands that would use the same high-end Parts and finishing, they decided to go with a generic movement. They use the soprod because the narrowness of the movement allowed them to keep the case as narrow as they wanted.

Rumor has it that the case and bracelet are made in and by the same factory and equipment that makes Richard Mille watches.

Just having put it on my wrist I don't have an opportunity to see how the movement is running, but it makes a phenomenal initial impression.

Then my only question for you is do you think having the Rolex Steel datejust with the blue dial and this Triton steel with a blue dial overlap too much?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Glashütte Senator Sixties Panodate Green
    Rolex Milgauss Z Blue
    Triton Subphotique blue
    Sinn U1 T
    Casio G-Shock full metal steel

Re: Triton Subphotiqhe arrived initial impressions

Some added micro shots

Last edited by 41Mets; March 18th, 2019 at 20:51.
    fish70, TheWhiteRabbit and Ragl like this.
    Rolex Milgauss Z Blue
    Triton Subphotique blue
    Sinn U1 T

I know nothing about the brand, but they've done a very nice job. I doubt that having that much blue will be a problem. Congrats!
    41Mets likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by slcbbrown View Post
    I know nothing about the brand, but they've done a very nice job. I doubt that having that much blue will be a problem. Congrats!
    Thanks. I see the two blue and I think, should I have both?! But I want everyone to tell me it's not Overkill.

Rolex Milgauss Z Blue
    Triton Subphotique blue
    Sinn U1 T

I really love the case styling on this one and it looks like it was immaculately executed. Not that my opinion counts (I'm currently overloading my collection with blue pieces, because, well, they look so good) but I think this piece is unique enough and stands on its own that there is no harm in a little bit of color overlap
    41Mets likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by skuzapo View Post
    I really love the case styling on this one and it looks like it was immaculately executed. Not that my opinion counts (I'm currently overloading my collection with blue pieces, because, well, they look so good) but I think this piece is unique enough and stands on its own that there is no harm in a little bit of color overlap
    Just what I want to hear. Thanks. It is unique!!

New photo. Costco lighting which is the best.

Rolex Milgauss Z Blue
    Triton Subphotique blue
    Sinn U1 T

I absolutely love that thing. If I had the cash on hand, I wouldn’t hesitate for a second to order one myself. It’s just rippin’ a super-cool and very unique vibe, and my personal take is that it’ll stand on its own in just about any collection...so no need to worry about overlap. I hope you get the bracelet sizing worked out, because I’d like to see it hang around for a long time. Lol, of course, if things don’t work out between the two of you....remember who was a fan from the moment ya’ posted the first pic.

Seriously, it’s a beautiful looking watch. Enjoy!
    41Mets likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeroedout View Post
    I absolutely love that thing. If I had the cash on hand, I wouldn’t hesitate for a second to order one myself. It’s just rippin’ a super-cool and very unique vibe, and my personal take is that it’ll stand on its own in just about any collection...so no need to worry about overlap. I hope you get the bracelet sizing worked out, because I’d like to see it hang around for a long time. Lol, of course, if things don’t work out between the two of you....remember who was a fan from the moment ya’ posted the first pic.

Seriously, it’s a beautiful looking watch. Enjoy!
    Thanks, man! It is a very special watch with a very special vibe! I'll make sure to refer back to this thread down the line if necessary!

Rolex Milgauss Z Blue
    Triton Subphotique blue
    Sinn U1 T

I think it’s awesome. What movement powers it?

It reminds me a bit of the MWW Ascent with more angles similar to the Zelos Swordfish.

Looks good on the wrist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    41Mets likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Champagne InHand View Post
    I think it’s awesome. What movement powers it?

It reminds me a bit of the MWW Ascent with more angles similar to the Zelos Swordfish.

Looks good on the wrist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks!!

From their website:
    The Subphotique is fitted with an automatic movement based on a modified Soprod M100, with Geneva Stripes engraving to the rotor and bridge.
    This movement is 100% Swiss made with 28,800 bph and 42 hours of power reserve. It is self-winding with a bidirectional perpetual rotor.
    The Triton M100 movement is fitted with a Soprod hairspring, providing greater resistance to shocks and variations in temperature.

Champagne InHand likes this.
    Rolex Milgauss Z Blue
    Triton Subphotique blue
    Sinn U1 T

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information