"True" Dress Watch vs "Double Duty" Watch
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: "True" Dress Watch vs "Double Duty" Watch

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

"True" Dress Watch vs "Double Duty" Watch

Which one would be your preference? I guess technically any watch can be worn with any strap, but I think some watches fit comfortably in either category.

Off the top of my head a really thin dress watch, say a Zenith Ultra Thin, prob wouldn't look very good on anything but a leather strap.

A "Double Duty" watch would be something like an IWC Mark XVII, which looks good on either and even has that option from the manufacturer. Speedy Pro, DJ, and Sinn 556 would fit in this category as well imo.
    antiga likes this.

Re: "True" Dress Watch vs "Double Duty" Watch

If you're going to have an extensive collection, then there's definitely a place for a "true" dress watch. These are some watches in my collection (arranged in order of decreasing dressiness), which span the gamut from what I would be comfortable wearing with a tux all the way to what I would be comfortable wearing with a suit in a professional setting.

Quotron, digivandig, drhr and 5 others like this.

Patek Philippe Calatrava 5119J; Vacheron Constantin Overseas; Jaeger-LeCoultre Grande Reverso Duo; Rolex Submariner 114060; Omega Seamaster 300; Montblanc Heritage Dual Time; Tudor Black Bay, Black Bay GMT.

Armida A12; Borealis Estoril; Bulova Accutron II Alpha, Moonwatch; Casio GMW-B5000D, GW-5000, GST-W310; Coach Fulton; Hamilton Khaki Field; Helson Skindiver; Orient 60th Anniversary; Seagull Tourbillon, 1963 Air Force; Seiko SNA089P, SUN025P1; Steinhart OVM; Swatch Body and Soul, Heracles, Sistem51, Uncle Charly; Victorinox Alliance, Infantry Vintage.

I would go for the double duty watch since I feel that it would be much more use to me than a true dress watch.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Yes...I think the Date Just is a perfect double duty and I think the Day Date is even better as a double duty.
    I think, most people when they use the term "dress watch", are not thinking Tux and High Hat. Just suit and tie.
    Any watches posted may be seen as gifts,borrowed or found property and not as personal property of Little Big Feather.

Double duty for me. I live in LA and work in a casual-dress industry. Formal attire is rare.

Vancouver Island / California (depending on the citizenship I use)

This is my double duty watch - does well for me. Certainly appropriate in dressy situations (especially now that it's on a black leather strap). But a little sporty too, with its 150 m water resistance and screw-down crown.

Name:  Ad.jpg
Views: 1433
Size:  101.2 KB
    DexDegeaut, THS, stratct and 5 others like this.
    Daily Rotation:
    Seiko
    "Save the Ocean" Turtle; Tudor Black Bay; DOXA 1000T Project Aware (75/92); Seiko SKX013; Garmin Descent; Tissot PRS200

It really depends on your situation.

If you work in a business casual (or under) environement, you can get away with almost anything.

If you're wearing a suit and tie everyday, where it's more formal, the most important thing in my opinion is having a thin watch that can fit under your cuff. But then again, you see plenty of people in suits wearing Pam's etc.

In the end, do whatever you like. Unless you're wearing some crazy big watch or something in a crazy color, most people won't notice anyways. I like to dress for the situation. I have dressy watches that I wear in more dressy situtations and I wear sport watches in more casual situations.

Both types are well worth it for me but a 'true' dress watch has elegance that the dual purpose cannot match so it depends on what exactly you prefer the most.

I'll take a single duty sport watch, since I dress up about 3 timers per year, and will wear anything from a G-Shock to a Sub when I'm in a suit since no one looks or cares anyway. I have no use for anything dressy.
    James142 likes this.

I'd rather a t-shirt and jeans be dressed up with a dress watch than a suit dressed down with a sport watch. For me, a nice middle ground is a Vulcain Cricket. Then again, that's usually my answer for everything...
    Rad Red Brick likes this.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information