To truly appreciate a fine watch, one must also own some inexpensive pieces.

Poll: You need cheap watches to appreciate the best watches

Like Tree45Likes

Thread: To truly appreciate a fine watch, one must also own some inexpensive pieces.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

To truly appreciate a fine watch, one must also own some inexpensive pieces.

True or False? To really appreciate the really nice watches out there, one must also buy and own a few cheap pieces for comparison.
    Without those inexpensive goodies, all you are doing is comparing the differences between say a Grand Seiko and a Rolex or Patek Phillipe.
    “If we could be satisfied with anything, we should have been satisfied long ago.”
    ― Seneca

Re: To truly appreciate a fine watch, one must also own some inexpensive pieces.

I dont think you have to buy or own a cheap watch but perhaps you should have at least felt or seen one in person.

Re: To truly appreciate a fine watch, one must also own some inexpensive pieces.

Yep, it was a huge step up from my Bugs Bunny to my Lucien Piccard.
    Matty01 and Drumguy4all like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

No, but to truly appreciate how bad some of the high-priced watches are you have to have had a really good watch that doesn't cost much.
    -Robert
    Buy what you like, keep what you love, don't spend too much.
    As long as you follow those simple rules - you shouldn't listen to anyone about your watches.

Quote Originally Posted by Watchbreath View Post
    Yep, it was a huge step up from my Bugs Bunny to my Lucien Piccard.
    Lol!

No not really. You might appreciate more, but it's not a necessity to have cheap watches to appreciate nice ones.
    William Ayin likes this.
    Current Collection - | Ball | Bvlgari | Casio | Citizen | Credor | Girard-Perregaux | Graham | Gübelin | Hamilton | Jaeger-LeCoultre | Longines | Minase | Mühle Glashütte | NOMOS Glashütte | Omega | Rolex | Seiko | Undone | Vacheron Constantin | Victorinox Swiss Army |
    Mulling Over - | Minase Horizon | Reservoir |
    On deck - | Omega Speedmaster Apollo 11 50th Anniversary |

I don't think you have to buy or own cheap watches to appreciate your good ones. Just remember the watches you started out with before you could afford the higher end stuff. I am still in that starting out category so I'll let you know in about 20 years. Probably 30.
    chuasam likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by chuasam View Post
    True or False? To really appreciate the really nice watches out there, one must also buy and own a few cheap pieces for comparison.
    Experience - absolutely. Own - not necessarily.

One needs to get a sense of quality at various price levels in order to make a sound decision - this is true for pretty much anything. No matter what i am buying, i usually always try out something which is one or two tiers above what i am looking at and also something which is one or two tiers below what i am looking at. Only then can i make an informed decision.

Without cheap, there is no expensive.
    Without sorrow, there is no joy.
    Without Grand Seiko, there is no Rolex.
    Last edited by vkalia; July 21st, 2015 at 02:29.
    Core: ALS 1815 Up/Down, AP RO, Breguet Marine, Blancpain FF MilSpec, JLC Master Geo, GO Panomatic, Rolex BLRO, Panerai 688, Rolex Exp2 polar, Cartier Santos XL ADLC, Zenith El Primero tricolor, [Empty Slot]
    Secondary: Oris Brashear chrono, Oris 65/42 green, Oris 65/40mm, Oris 65 bronze, Rado Capt Cook LE, Seiko Prospex Padi, Doxa 1200T Pro
    Others
    :Tissot T-Touch Expert, Swatch S51, Seagull 1963, Sturmanskie Yuri Gagarin, Fortis Marine Master, G-Shock GMW-B500
    FS: Seiko Orange Monster Gen2, Gruppo Gamma Vanguard, Squale Milsub
    Gone: Tudor Chrono Heritage, Hamilton Khaki Field, B&R03-92, Seiko SKX007, Orient Sun&Moon, Seagull M172S, Rado Vintage Diver, Hamilton Pan Europ, Orient Mako, Meistersinger Pangaea, IWC Aquatimer, PAM 24, JR Aquascope, Tudor BB Black, Longines Legend Diver, PAM 241, Bernhardt Anchor3, WUS GMT watch, Damasko DB2, Helson Shark Diver, Seiko 5, Ventus Mori Brass, Glycine Airman, Eterna Kon-Tiki, Zelos Gallant, Sinn 103 A sa B, Oris 65/42 blue

Wait! You saying grand Seiko is cheap and sorrowful?
    That be fightin' words in these parts
    “If we could be satisfied with anything, we should have been satisfied long ago.”
    ― Seneca

Quote Originally Posted by chuasam View Post
    Without those inexpensive goodies, all you are doing is comparing the differences between say a Grand Seiko and a Rolex or Patek Phillipe.

you have gone from 'cheap' to 'inexpensive ' - one needs to define that because there is a massive difference
    a low end rolex would be a cheap one to some -a high end gps g shock would be expensive to others
    Last edited by shameless; July 21st, 2015 at 03:02.
    chuasam likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information