WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Trusting crowd funded watch brands

419 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Henry S 
#1 ·
I'm new to the world of crowd funding and I've seem some brilliant watch projects over the last few months on the like of Kickstarter and IndieGogo, these two portals seem to be the 'Go To' fundraising sites..

Has anyone successfully backed a watch project from either of these sites before?

If so which project and can you express your experience from start to finish?

Has anyone ever had a bad experience funding a project?

And for those in Limbo, what has stopped you backing a project?

Thanks for you help!

#3 ·
Ive backed three. The first cobra de calibre, a bronze zelos helmsman and a lew & huey cerberus. All three turned out perfectly and without drama. Granted, these are some of the three better examples considering theyre still producing new watches. But as long as you do your homework and the project creator seems like he knows what youre talking about and trustworthy it should be fine.
Other than that i go on kickstarter quite a bit. Backed a few non watch campaigns. Recently backed out of this record player cause i felt the creator was a bit less than trustworthy and transparent. Just like buying a watch from the forums, buy the seller before you buy their product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 ·
I currently am waiting on 3 watches that were all launched, and backed via Kickstarter. The Ventus Caspian, River Watch Co Tiber and Triarrows Poet.

I was happy to back the Ventus because one of the dudes was responsible for the Zelos brand that has previously been mentioned. The River Watch Co. also got my backing relatively easy because the project creator, Scott Bakker, is a regular on the forums. Triarrows are a cheap Singaporean company that have created a few watches before via kickstarter, and the watch only set me back 100 AUSD. The wait sucks, but what you gonna do?

I think you have to look at any history behind the people involved in the project, if any. And the quality of the campaign.

#7 ·
I've backed a few KS projects, but not for a watch. I wouldn't do it with an investment that I'd be overly upset over if I never got the product, and I assume that I'll get it when I get it. I've found that a lot of projects are started by people who are good at design and marketing, but have no idea how to manufacture something.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.