Trying to decide: Orient Polaris GMT or Victorinox Maverick II Dual Time
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Trying to decide: Orient Polaris GMT or Victorinox Maverick II Dual Time

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

I've narrowed one of my watch choices to between these 2:

Orient Polaris GMT
    https://www.amazon.com/Orient-Polari...ient+gmt+watch

Victorinox Maverick II Dual Time
    https://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Sw.../dp/B0016FWZWE

In my eyes, they're pretty much equal (though one is dress, one is sportier) as far as looks, style, quality maker, etc... I can't seem to pick one over the other. Thought maybe some of you might think of something I haven't that might cause some separation between the 2.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance -
    Last edited by SwissArmyTenor; October 11th, 2017 at 01:46.

Re: Trying to decide: Orient Polaris GMT or Victorinox Maverick II Dual Time

For me, I would select the Orient. I just like the looks and dial layout so much better. What are you looking for because one is a dress watch and one is a sport watch. If based on looks, the Orient all the way.

Ken

Just looking for a dual time/GMT watch. Category - dress, sport - doesn't really matter, at all. The 'looks appeal' of one isn't overriding the other, so was hoping someone might know of something else that will push one across the finish line ahead of the other :)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Is lumen a factor? I think you could dress down the Orient, which is the way I would go! Good luck choosing!

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Slm643 View Post
    Is lumen a factor? I think you could dress down the Orient, which is the way I would go! Good luck choosing!

No, lumen is not a factor. The Vic might look great with a leather band, if that is what you were referring to ('dress down'). Thanks!
    Last edited by SwissArmyTenor; October 11th, 2017 at 02:50.

Yes, I think you're correct!

Orient.

The dial on the VSA is a mess. The mix of printed and applied/polished numbers just doesn’t work. And then the cut-off 12. And the increased size of the 3, 6, 9, 12 markers can work, but not when you’re missing 1 1/2 of those. Yuck. I’ve owned a few VSAs and liked them - so I appreciate them and root for them and don’t count them as a fashion brand. But damn the layout of that dial is awful.
    Last edited by brandon\; October 11th, 2017 at 05:16.
    RotorRonin and wuyeah like this.
    "Oh, nice. So now we're quoting other people to sound deep." -alx007

The Maverick (one) GS dual time is a HUGE improvement over the Maverick II-- better case shape, much better bracelet quality (excellent for the price) and the dial isn't nearly the mess that the II is. It looks like a much more upscale watch vs. one that's just "fine." Pricing is very reasonable--street is in the $200 ballpark if I recall. I don't have experience with that Orient but since it's an apples-to-oranges comparison anyway, I'd strongly suggest looking at the non-II Maverick GS

Name:  Maverick Dual Time 2a.jpg
Views: 546
Size:  92.4 KB

I like VSA, but every once in a while they have a model that just misses the mark. Most of the Maverick II models, when compared to the Maverick I is a big step in the wrong direction... Maverick I watches are still being made. While some of the older models in the series have been replaced, it's not like they position the II as the replacement to the I. The II is just the cost-reduced version of the I. When the GS model of the Mav I is so cheap relative to the rest of the lineup, there's no reason to go with the II
    brandon\ likes this.
    Choose a job you love, and you'll never work a day in your life because that field isn't hiring.

^ Yeah, that one looks leaps and bounds better. I’ve considered that watch on multiple occasions.
    RotorRonin likes this.
    "Oh, nice. So now we're quoting other people to sound deep." -alx007

Quote Originally Posted by SwissArmyTenor View Post
    I've narrowed one of my watch choices to between these 2:

Orient Polaris GMT
    https://www.amazon.com/Orient-Polari...ient+gmt+watch

Victorinox Maverick II Dual Time
    https://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Sw.../dp/B0016FWZWE

In my eyes, they're pretty much equal (though one is dress, one is sportier) as far as looks, style, quality maker, etc... I can't seem to pick one over the other. Thought maybe some of you might think of something I haven't that might cause some separation between the 2.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance -
    Have you looked at the Orient Constellation GMT? I like the constellation better as it has better WR (100m vs. 50m) and to me seems more refined, particularly the more elegant hands, and thinner bezel area, and it has a nice butterfly clasp bracelet which makes a nice dressy watch. I personally don't care for the bright blue hands on the Polaris - although they may be more legible. Also, the Constellation is fairly rare and getting very hard to find in stock at a reasonable price. I would guess in a couple years people may be looking for it and willing to pay more for it than the polaris. Kind of like what happened with the Citizen NY0040 divers. A watch that was availabe at $100 for years and now tough to find under $300.

Both the Polaris and Constellation are very similar and share the same movement so both are fine watches, but I think the Constellation just has more going for it.

The constellation is hard to find but I got mine here: Automatic Power Reserve "GMT" + Box DJ02003W - Power Reserve

Name:  orientconst.jpg
Views: 533
Size:  173.7 KB
    (Not my picture - http://www.watchprosite.com/page-wf....48/pi-6885158/)

There is also a silver with gold numbers/markers/hands and bracelet accents, if you like that style, which seems to be easier to find.

Name:  silver gold orient.jpg
Views: 529
Size:  38.0 KB

And a black dial version which is very rare I believe - Long Island Watch lists it at $499 and out of stock.

Name:  black orient.jpg
Views: 528
Size:  91.4 KB

My transaction with orientuhrenwas smooth and fast. They automatically adjust out the VAT so the price is lower than shown (although they show it in euros). My delivered price was $329.

Regarding the Victorinox - I say no- 1) it is a quartz and 2) The dual time aspect overpowers the watch - so unless you really need 2 time zones all the time as opposed to occasionally, that would really be a negative.
    Last edited by ErikP; October 11th, 2017 at 09:44.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information