Trying to kick the habit.
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Trying to kick the habit.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Trying to kick the habit.

Hi, my name is J, and it's been 30 days since I bought/flipped a watch.

But seriously, this is a hard habit to break. Started strong a couple years ago, and a few months ago, realized I have a problem Paired the collection down to two divers - a CWC MK2, and a Scurfa MS18. No more Omegas; no more Rolex no dates; no more searching for that "grail."

Anybody else just stop cold-turkey? If so, what is your current hobby?
    jeffkrupa5180 and Ale De Alis like this.
    "The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion to their commitment to excellence, regardless of their chosen field of endeavor." Vince Lombardi.

Current watches:
    Archimedes 39mm Destro
    G-Shock

Re: Trying to kick the habit.

I actually have the reverse. I was addicted to modding my old car, so watches has replaced that. Much easier storage haha
    Current: Rolex Milgauss "Z-Blue" || JLC Master Quartz

My wife and I both collect watches. We like to buy while we are on cruises to the Caribbean.
    We know a couple of ADs and they give us good prices.
    On our last cruise we bought no watches, however when we got home a friend that runs a jewelry store gave my wife a great price on two preowned watches.
    We almost kicked the habit.
    Our other hobby is, my wife and I do hand gun and rifle competitions.
    It may be my turn on our next cruise however there is not much I am interested in at this time.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by 71 TRUCK View Post
    Our other hobby is, my wife and I do hand gun and rifle competitions.
    Very cool. I have been considering attending an appleseed event - just need to find the time from work. My three hobbies for a very long time have been watches, shooting, and cars. Wife and I had trap shooting at our wedding reception - a country wedding - and we used to do club race events with PCA (before kids of course).

I just picked up a Jeep JLU Sport, so that is my new hobby. Don't plan on going too crazy, rims and tires for now.
    "The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion to their commitment to excellence, regardless of their chosen field of endeavor." Vince Lombardi.

Current watches:
    Archimedes 39mm Destro
    G-Shock

For well more than a decade, I was "into" watches--searching, acquiring, flipping--so it took a long time to "wake up". That happened as a result of this site, actually, after I saw just one too many "SOTCs" with well more than enough watches to last anyone a lifetime, making me realize just how fickle and ultimately unnecessary much of this all was--we are not curators in watch museums, just hoarders of watches, often times well beyond the practical. I enjoy watches, but I realized I didn't actually have to own the watch to do that--that realization was a long time in coming.

Now, I have four watches, which even there, I think is at least one too many, and haven't been looking to buy any others for a long time. One of the main reasons I still hang around here is to discourage some of the newbies from being swept away by the "more is better" sentiment so often expressed here, while at the same time, I do enjoy seeing interesting new and old pieces, without the feeling that I must actually own one as well.

My main and most important hobby is building and riding road bicycles--watches have always been a few rungs down from that, since there is so little of your "self" invested in watches--they are just objects to procure, strap on your wrist, or divest yourself of.
    Last edited by timefleas; September 17th, 2018 at 07:53.

Ard

Quote Originally Posted by larkja View Post
    Hi, my name is J, and it's been 30 days since I bought/flipped a watch.

But seriously, this is a hard habit to break. Started strong a couple years ago, and a few months ago, realized I have a problem Paired the collection down to two divers - a CWC MK2, and a Scurfa MS18. No more Omegas; no more Rolex no dates; no more searching for that "grail."

Anybody else just stop cold-turkey? If so, what is your current hobby?
    I did, I own 2 mechanical watches and 2 very old quartz. As for my current hobby? I have a life.

I've been trying to talk some sense into the people using the WPAC thread but they are hopeless. The watch buying abstinence club thread, more like the buyers club. If you really want help PM me, if you are in the US I'd be glad to talk to you in person. I am an active person so hobbies aren't a necessary distraction to me.

Fell free to get in touch, if you look at my profile page here you can find my "home page" aka website. There's more to life than buying and flipping. I like watches but refuse to be like some members.

Ard

Quote Originally Posted by dafuture View Post
    I actually have the reverse. I was addicted to modding my old car, so watches has replaced that. Much easier storage haha
    We don't mess with this one, just drive it a little each year :)

I do wear a watch while driving that way we don't have to set the clock every time out.

Vancouver Island / California (depending on the citizenship I use)

Quote Originally Posted by timefleas View Post
    For well more than a decade, I was "into" watches--searching, acquiring, flipping--so it took a long time to "wake up". That happened as a result of this site, actually, after I saw just one too many "SOTCs" with well more than enough watches to last anyone a lifetime, making me realize just how fickle and ultimately unnecessary much of this all was--we are not curators in watch museums, just hoarders of watches, often times well beyond the practical. I enjoy watches, but I realized I didn't actually have to own the watch to do that--that realization was a long time in coming.

Now, I have four watches, which even there, I think is at least one too many, and haven't been looking to buy any others for a long time. One of the main reasons I still hang around here is to discourage some of the newbies from being swept away by the "more is better" sentiment so often expressed here, while at the same time, I do enjoy seeing interesting new and old pieces, without the feeling that I must actually own one as well.

My main and most important hobby is building and riding road bicycles--watches have always been a few rungs down from that, since there is so little of your "self" invested in watches--they are just objects to procure, strap on your wrist, or divest yourself of.
    This is all true. I've always felt that a hobby requires something beyond spending money, and thinking about what you want to spend money on. Not to devalue collecting watches - there are lots of intellectual elements to it; understanding movements, reading history, discussing aesthetics, etc. But unless you're learning to build or repair your own watches I don't think there's enough involvement to justify calling it a hobby.

Which is why I've sort of reduced my involvement to the parts I enjoy - reading the history, discussing watches online and browsing the new releases. Without buying much (money's going to diving, SUP, running and craft beer right now). I keep the options open, of course - if something really appeals to me, I might jump in. If I NEED a new watch (see my new Garmin Descent) I'm going to buy it.

All about balance - in this, or any hobby or interest.
    Ale De Alis likes this.
    Daily Rotation:
    Seiko
    "Save the Ocean" Turtle; Tudor Black Bay; DOXA 1000T Project Aware (75/92); Seiko SKX013; Garmin Descent; Tissot PRS200

Habit?.... Uhhh what habit?

U got any more o' dem watches?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I probably should’ve stopped at watch #1 like a normal person. I mean, only WISs (and potentially old people) care about dress watch rules, which leaves most of us without a good reason to own a watch for every occasion. It’s a whimsical hobby best appreciated with a hint of irony and black humor.
    LordBrettSinclair likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information