Trying to make a purchase without much help from the seller
Like Tree114Likes

Thread: Trying to make a purchase without much help from the seller

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Trying to make a purchase without much help from the seller

So I always miss having a Sinn if I don't have one amongst my collection, but I thought the only way I would get back into one is if I went with a tegimented version.

I found a nice example of a pretty new U1 with bracelet and rubber strap for what seemed like a very fair price, I reached out to the seller, we've been in communication, we settled on a price, but I've continued to ask him about references or feedback and he seems like I'm causing him a hassle to ask him for that information.

He is requiring payment through a method that would not give me any protection, and I'm willing to pay that if he would go out of his way to give me peace of mind.

When I asked him about feedback he basically said he doesn't pay much attention to that but I could see how long he's been a member on time zone and he also does a lot of things on gun forums. Of course you didn't go out of his way to give me his username on any of those for I'm so I can check them out.

So I did some research and I found that he had three pieces of feedback on watchuseek but they were all earlier than 2014.. I asked if he'd be willing to do a video call
    So I could speak with him and see the watch. He did say that he could do that today, but when we realize that he has an iPhone and I have a Samsung, the only way we could do a video call would be through some independent app. I asked him if he'd be willing to get WhatsApp and then his response was basically as follows...

This is becoming more of a hassle for me then I need, I'm in the middle of a move that's very time-consuming, and if the feedback you saw and my experience on the gun forums isn't enough for you, then maybe this isn't the watch for you.

I responded, that he is basically asking me to send him cash, to trust somebody that I don't know and that I've never met and that I've never seen on any of the forums, he has not gone out of his way to give me any references or feedback about himself other than basically telling me that he's trustworthy,, and that is a former law enforcement officer and lawyer, I think you would understand the need to do one's due diligence when being asked to pay a hefty sum of money to someone they've never met.

I actually do think he probably is trustworthy, but how does someone expect another to pay them over $1,000, essentially in cash, without being willing to go out of their way to show the buyer why they are a trustworthy seller.

It seems as if he's doing the buyer a favor by having the watch available and doesn't think he needs to do anything else to satisfy the buyer in a very expensive transaction.

I know everyone says buy the seller, and that's certainly what I'm going to do in this case if he's not willing to Pony up a little bit and go a little bit out of his way

I'm assuming most of you do not think I'm being unreasonable?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Glashütte Senator Sixties Panodate Green
    Rolex Milgauss Z Blue
    Triton Subphotique blue
    Sinn U1 T
    Casio G-Shock full metal steel

Re: Trying to make a purchase without much help from the seller

Your requests seem reasonable to me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    41Mets, jsohal and Simon like this.

You are not being unreasonable. But you are not in the "driver's seat."
    The seller will sell under the terms with which they are comfortable. At this point, with all the back-and-forth, I would not want to do business as the buyer or the seller. I would bail out if I were you, but DEFINITELY stick to your guns with vetting the seller if they are only accepting cash/wire transfer/PP gift, etc. that offers you zero protection as a buyer.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I have sold many watches and not a single one of your requests seems over the top to me. They are all pretty standard and as a seller I would be happy to comply with all of those requests.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk
    41Mets likes this.

IMHO, I would keep shopping and find someone/something else.

Better watch selling enthusiasts out there.

I do agree with your position.

Just throwing cash out there without some protection, especially for used watches. is a risky business.

Good luck.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

Not unreasonable at all, especially as he's asking you to pay via a method with no protection.
    41Mets likes this.

You are not expecting too much, using great patience and good manners--unfortunately, as good as the deal may sound, and as possibly trustworthy as the seller might be, I would pass on this if it were me--you tried, but further aggravation is likely in store, so I would go back to the search. Best of luck.
    41Mets likes this.

I can see why the seller might think he is being asked to jump through what he sees as hoops but at the end of the day you are stumping up a lot of cash and I don’t think it’s at all unreasonable that you should want him to make you feel a little happier. As for WhatsApp, the last time I heard it was still free and take about a minute to install on your phone.
    41Mets and rfortson like this.

Unfortunately, he can choose not to be helpful. It doesn't sound like he is desperate to sell, so it's unlikely he'll go out of his way to help.

Move on.
    The U1 comes up often enough.
    Brad (@bradwatch)
    - appreciating fine affordable watches since 2011

Well I'm giving him the opportunity as she recently sent another email with a photo of the watch set to the time that I requested, and he did give me the name and contact information of a person that he sold a Rolex Explorer II.

Thanks for confirming that I'm not expecting too much. I will give him the continued opportunity to make me feel comfortable but if he does anything else that makes me feel uncomfortable I will certainly pass..

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by 41Mets; August 9th, 2019 at 19:23.
    Glashütte Senator Sixties Panodate Green
    Rolex Milgauss Z Blue
    Triton Subphotique blue
    Sinn U1 T
    Casio G-Shock full metal steel

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information