Trying to restore an old SS titan watch DIY...Help needed

Thread: Trying to restore an old SS titan watch DIY...Help needed

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Trying to restore an old SS titan watch DIY...Help needed

Before you go "its not worth the time and the money" this was my first watch, so Im kinda attached
    Its a gold toned titan analog watch. Its written 457 - 74 on the back along with 'ALL STAINLESS STEEL'. Now, the strap got pretty messed up in an accident i had a few years back so I've removed that. The gold tone on the case has started to fade in places and it kinda looks bad. Now for the questions :

Is it possible to somehow remove the gold color from the case without spending much money ? Ive heard good things about those cape cod cloths but they're not available where i live and shipping is too damn expensive. Also ive read in the forums that scotch brite pads give you a nice brushed finish on steel(but im not sure they'd remove the gold tone) so is there any easy way to get the gold tone off and give it something like a brushed finish?
    (I'm thinking this would be a good combo with a brown leather strap..im open to suggestions on this)

Also Im not afraid of ruining the thing because either i do something and make it useful or sooner or later someone in the house is gonna throw it in the trash...so im open to taking risks

Re: Trying to restore an old SS titan watch DIY...Help needed

Maybe a really high grit sandpaper. Start with 600 or 800 maybe?

Sent from my LGLS660 using Tapatalk

It goes without saying that you should remove the crystal, crown, and movement, and store them somewhere safe before you attempt to remove the gold tone from the case.

Patek Philippe Calatrava 5119J; Vacheron Constantin Overseas; Jaeger-LeCoultre Grande Reverso Duo; Rolex Submariner 114060; Omega Seamaster 300; Montblanc Heritage Dual Time; Tudor Black Bay.

Armida A12; Borealis Estoril; Bulova Accutron II Alpha, Moonwatch; Casio GMW-B5000D, GW-5000, GST-W310; Certina DS-2; Coach Fulton; Hamilton Khaki Field; Helson Skindiver; Orient 60th Anniversary; Seagull Tourbillon, 1963 Air Force; Seiko SNA089P, SUN025P1; Steinhart OVM; Swatch Body and Soul, Heracles, Sistem51, Uncle Charly; Victorinox Alliance, Infantry Vintage.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by teatimecrumpet View Post
    Maybe a really high grit sandpaper. Start with 600 or 800 maybe?

Sent from my LGLS660 using Tapatalk
    and the move to 1000 grit right ?

Consider first trying to remove the gold tone with the scotchbrite, since you want to achieve a brushed finish using that anyway. It's best to use the mildest abrasive you can for the job, otherwise you will have to refinish with increasingly finer grit.

Patek Philippe Calatrava 5119J; Vacheron Constantin Overseas; Jaeger-LeCoultre Grande Reverso Duo; Rolex Submariner 114060; Omega Seamaster 300; Montblanc Heritage Dual Time; Tudor Black Bay.

Armida A12; Borealis Estoril; Bulova Accutron II Alpha, Moonwatch; Casio GMW-B5000D, GW-5000, GST-W310; Certina DS-2; Coach Fulton; Hamilton Khaki Field; Helson Skindiver; Orient 60th Anniversary; Seagull Tourbillon, 1963 Air Force; Seiko SNA089P, SUN025P1; Steinhart OVM; Swatch Body and Soul, Heracles, Sistem51, Uncle Charly; Victorinox Alliance, Infantry Vintage.

If the gold is just fading in color a simple polish should make it look a lot better. I would have expected you watch to be gold plating on a base metal with a stainless steel back.

Quote Originally Posted by John MS View Post
    If the gold is just fading in color a simple polish should make it look a lot better. I would have expected you watch to be gold plating on a base metal with a stainless steel back.
    Uh, I can see the silver color at some places where the gold has faded and also in places where there are scratches.. That means its SS right ?

Quote Originally Posted by sirrahesoj View Post
    Uh, I can see the silver color at some places where the gold has faded and also in places where there are scratches.. That means its SS right ?
    Most likely though some very cheap or very old watches might have a less durable base metal. In any case if the gold is as worn and thin as you say it shouldn't be too difficult to remove the rest with metal polish on a cloth. Try that first before using more abrasive materials.

Before you start removing the finish, why do you want to remove it? To make it more uniform looking? How bad is it? Are we talking large areas, small areas, rubbing or flaking? You'd be surprised how far a simple polishing job goes to blend and hide small blemishes. I have some yellow toned stainless items that when polished you'd be hard pressed to notice some areas have worn through.

Toning on metals is incredibly thin. It wouldn't be hard to remove in a number of ways, but scotch-brite may take a while and will be hard to make uniform if doing it by hand. Buffing motor or rotary tools with scotch-brite pad/wheel would be quicker and look best.

Depending on the base metal I'd take it to a Jeweler and ask him to polish it on a cloth wheel with a Zam compound or Jewelers Rouge. Then you will have a smooth base to brush.

Name:  4inch-100mm-Cloth-font-b-Polishing-b-font-font-b-Mop-b-font-Wheel-for-Power.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  98.7 KB

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information