Tudor 12700...or something else?
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By mykii
  • 1 Post By JLesinski

Thread: Tudor 12700...or something else?

Tudor 12700...or something else?

I'm looking for something to buy when I finish up law school. I usually spend my time over in affordables, but this purchase will be outside of my typical price range and so I'm hoping rely a bit on the expertise of you fine people.

My first inkling was the Tudor 12700 "Style." The 41mm steel and silver sunburst dial.

(photo from ablogtowatch)

There is quite a lot that I like the Tudor: the 41mm size (have an above average wrist so I think 39-41 better suits me for a dress watch than the traditional 36-38); the classic and understated styling; the vintage design cues; the history, tradition, and pedigree that comes with the Tudor brand; the light face (my collection is mostly blues and black); the ability to look good in the office or on the weekend in a casual setting or traveling. When thinking about it more though, I'm not quite sure that the 12700 is the right watch. It has a modified 2824 in it, and while I read that Tudor does a great job modifying their eta movements and dialing them in before they get shipped out, I can't escape the feeling that after I account for the cost of the movement and the work that goes into it I'm basically paying $1800 for the Tudor name and some (admittedly great) finishing work on the case. I also rarely see them on WUS, which makes me think that perhaps there's something out there that I should know but don't, due to my lack of familiarity with the $1,000+ segments of the watch market.

So with all that being said, does anyone have thoughts or strong feelings on the 12700? Is there another watch in the $1,000 - $2,600 range that checks the boxes that the Tudor does, but does them better? Any input is appreciated
    Name one thing in this world that is not negotiable

Re: Tudor 12700...or something else?

The Tudor you're looking at is very nice and sets the perfect tone for a new law grad. It's (relatively) humble and classy.

If you're a Seiko fan, there's always the Presage enamel dials with an ETA equivalent movement.

Not my pic:
    Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1459409126080.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  51.2 KB

-MLJinAK.

While not a 'heritage' watch, the style would look fantastic with the tudor-rose on the dial.

Anyways OP, don't worry about the lack of posts - just buy watches that you like. It is the only recipe for a happy collection. Good luck, and congrats on finishing law school
    JLesinski likes this.
    Ω Omega Seamaster NOS Soccer Timer 145.019
    Tudor Heritage Black Bay Blue 79220B
    TAG Heuer Aquaracer
    WAN2111.BA0822
    Steinhart Ocean Vintage OVM Military Maxi LE #274/300
    Seiko Prospex Monster SRP581

The Hit-List: Omega Ploprof 1200m, JLC Reverso, Breguet La Tradition, IWC Aquatimer, Rolex 'Hulk' Sub, TAG Heuer Aquagraph

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by MLJinAK View Post
    The Tudor you're looking at is very nice and sets the perfect tone for a new law grad. It's (relatively) humble and classy.

If you're a Seiko fan, there's always the Presage enamel dials with an ETA equivalent movement.

-MLJinAK.
    I am a Seiko fan, though if I'm going to go with a white chrono I think it will be the Junghans Meister Chronoscope. The movement is a modified Valjoux 7750 and it has that classic, clean look that I think will suitable at the office and in casual settings. I also have yet to acquire a german watch, so this would kill two birds with one stone in my collection.

(photo from google)
    MLJinAK likes this.
    Name one thing in this world that is not negotiable

Quote Originally Posted by JLesinski View Post
    I am a Seiko fan, though if I'm going to go with a white chrono I think it will be the Junghans Meister Chronoscope. The movement is a modified Valjoux 7750 and it has that classic, clean look that I think will suitable at the office and in casual settings. I also have yet to acquire a german watch, so this would kill two birds with one stone in my collection.

(photo from google)
    Wow, the Junghans will be a winner too. I like the style of that a bit more than the Tudor.

-MLJinAK.

Thread Information