WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Tudor 12700...or something else?

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  MLJinAK 
#1 ·
I'm looking for something to buy when I finish up law school. I usually spend my time over in affordables, but this purchase will be outside of my typical price range and so I'm hoping rely a bit on the expertise of you fine people.

My first inkling was the Tudor 12700 "Style." The 41mm steel and silver sunburst dial.

(photo from ablogtowatch)

There is quite a lot that I like the Tudor: the 41mm size (have an above average wrist so I think 39-41 better suits me for a dress watch than the traditional 36-38); the classic and understated styling; the vintage design cues; the history, tradition, and pedigree that comes with the Tudor brand; the light face (my collection is mostly blues and black); the ability to look good in the office or on the weekend in a casual setting or traveling. When thinking about it more though, I'm not quite sure that the 12700 is the right watch. It has a modified 2824 in it, and while I read that Tudor does a great job modifying their eta movements and dialing them in before they get shipped out, I can't escape the feeling that after I account for the cost of the movement and the work that goes into it I'm basically paying $1800 for the Tudor name and some (admittedly great) finishing work on the case. I also rarely see them on WUS, which makes me think that perhaps there's something out there that I should know but don't, due to my lack of familiarity with the $1,000+ segments of the watch market.

So with all that being said, does anyone have thoughts or strong feelings on the 12700? Is there another watch in the $1,000 - $2,600 range that checks the boxes that the Tudor does, but does them better? Any input is appreciated

See less See more
#4 ·
The Tudor you're looking at is very nice and sets the perfect tone for a new law grad. It's (relatively) humble and classy.

If you're a Seiko fan, there's always the Presage enamel dials with an ETA equivalent movement.

-MLJinAK.
I am a Seiko fan, though if I'm going to go with a white chrono I think it will be the Junghans Meister Chronoscope. The movement is a modified Valjoux 7750 and it has that classic, clean look that I think will suitable at the office and in casual settings. I also have yet to acquire a german watch, so this would kill two birds with one stone in my collection.

(photo from google)

#3 ·
While not a 'heritage' watch, the style would look fantastic with the tudor-rose on the dial.

Anyways OP, don't worry about the lack of posts - just buy watches that you like. It is the only recipe for a happy collection. Good luck, and congrats on finishing law school

Reactions: JLesinski
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.