Tudor black bay 36 vs Sinn 556 &?????
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Tudor black bay 36 vs Sinn 556 &?????

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Tudor black bay 36 vs Sinn 556 &?????

Guy's very excited today having tried on the bb36 and both loving and feeling comfortable with the smaller size.

Because of this experience my next watch is definitely going to be sub 40mm.

Having never considered smaller watches before I have very limited Idea of watches in this category.

Would you mind giving me your thoughts on the above 2 watches and additionally any other watches which meet my new found size requirements?

Thanks everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Tudor black bay 36 vs Sinn 556 &?????

Both great watches. Of the two I prefer the Tudor. Love the design: Name:  B8A13173-5FC7-4B5A-8C7B-923C90F38A33.jpeg
Views: 73
Size:  794.4 KB
    Cpt Canuck likes this.

Other great sub-40mm watches to consider in that price bracket:

Monta Triumph 38.5mm
    Longines Conquest 39mm
    Oris Big Crown Pointer Date 36mm
    Stowa has several models 36-39mm (Marine, Flieger, Antea, and Partitio)
    Nomos has a host of smaller watches in that price range

Others at a more affordable price (<$1000)
    Hamilton Khaki Field Mechanical 38mm
    Hamilton Khaki Field Auto 38mm
    Tissot PR100
    Glycine Combat 6 36mm
    Christopher Ward C65 Vintage 38.5mm
    Archimede Outdoor Protect 38.5mm
    Mido Multifort 38mm (I think they market this in their ladies' line now, it's a unisex watch)
    badgerracer likes this.
    Powered by 1.21 Gigawatts

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Have owned several versions of the 556 (a, i & "jubilee")--size is nice, very well made, accurate, but I found them all too bland--looked great in the pictures, great in the AD display cases, but home and on the wrist--all a little too underwhelming. In that size range, I like the old Rolex Explorer, and if that is too expensive, then the Smith's Everest--both 36--also, some of the vintage Omegas (Seamasters and De Villes).

I own the 556I Red and love it, but both watches are gorgeous. I think you get much more for your money with the 556 (and way more with an 856 or 836, though those are 40mm and 43mm respectively), but it's really hard to argue against the Tudor. If I had to pick a Black Bay, though, it would be the 58 rather than the 36.

The Damasko DS30 arguably gives you the most value per dollar of any tool watch on the market, but I just couldn't bring myself around on the aesthetics. The 'crosshairs' are fine, but the minute markings are just too long and the 'Damasko' label right below the 'D'logo is way too obtrusive; the overall effect is just too busy for me. I wanted to like it because sub-$1,000 for those specs is just amazing... but I couldn't do it. I went with the Sinn, and couldn't be happier. (Well, I could, if they offered the hardened case and enhanced antimagnetic shielding in a 38.5mm case).

Another alternative is the Christopher Ward C60 38mm, which will likely be my next (and possibly last) watch. If you wait for a sale, the C60 is a crazy high value proposition.

That's a hard decision to make since both watches are really well made etc.

I recently wanted a Flieger'ish type watch and was seriously considering Damasko, Sinn and Stowa. I eventually opted for the Stowa Flieger 40mm handwound. Slightly less expensive than the other two, well made and the service is excellent.

Tudor black bay 36 vs Sinn 556 &amp;?????

I had the same problem, but I was lusting over the 556 blue anniversary edition instead. I took a look at a local dealer here and it’s a stunning watch, solidly built and the blue is a bright sunburst blue which has a strong presence. But I hesitated to pull the trigger, part of the reasons was because I was with my wife

And then a couple of months later, I walked into a Tudor dealer and inquired the salesman there for a Tudor Black Bay 36. “This is it!!”, I said to myself. Okay it’s twice more expensive but it’s on a level or two above the Sinn. The applied indices made a whole lot difference, dual case finishing is superbly done, the crown winds buttery smooth, and the size is just perfect. It made me totally forget about the Sinn. I pulled the trigger right there on the spot, despite the sharp glare I got from my wife.

I like it so much that if I had to pick only one watch to own, it’s gonna be this BB36. Yes, I’d even leave my Speedy Pro behind in favor of the BB36. It’s a true GADA watch, very good spec’ed, excellently built and has decent WR rating and enough prestige of a Swiss watch. Accuracy is on spot at about +1-2s per day (rough observation).

Last edited by wtma; 1 Week Ago at 15:43.
    X-Tian likes this.
    IG: @wtma
    ---
    CASIO G-SHOCK GMW-B5000-1 PRO TREK PRT-4000T-7A PRT-4000T-7B
    SEIKO PROSPEX MARINEMASTER PROFESSIONAL SBBN007
    GLYCINE AIRMAN VINTAGE 1953 LE 3904.14/66AIRMAN DC-4 3904.19H24/66
    DAMASKO LARGE AVIATOR MANUFACTORY CALIBRE DK15

TUDOR HERITAGE BLACK BAY 36 M79500-0004
    OMEGA SPEEDMASTER PROFESSIONAL MOONWATCH 311.30.42.30.01.006

JAEGER-LECOULTRE GRANDE REVERSO ULTRA THIN DUOFACE Q3788570 (GRAIL)

If I wanted a more dressy watch I’d go with the 556 but for multipurpose use I’d choose the BB.

I wanted to say the SINN but after looking at them both I think the TUDOR looks better.

Quote Originally Posted by MX793 View Post
    Other great sub-40mm watches to consider in that price bracket:

Monta Triumph 38.5mm
    Longines Conquest 39mm
    Oris Big Crown Pointer Date 36mm
    Stowa has several models 36-39mm (Marine, Flieger, Antea, and Partitio)
    Nomos has a host of smaller watches in that price range

Others at a more affordable price (<$1000)
    Hamilton Khaki Field Mechanical 38mm
    Hamilton Khaki Field Auto 38mm
    Tissot PR100
    Glycine Combat 6 36mm
    Christopher Ward C65 Vintage 38.5mm
    Archimede Outdoor Protect 38.5mm
    Mido Multifort 38mm (I think they market this in their ladies' line now, it's a unisex watch)
    This is a great list to consider, I am looking at picking up several on this list myself. Another to add to the list (if you don’t mind waiting a couple months) is the Monta Atlas currently on pre-order. It uses the 38.5mm Triumph case, but ditches the number, uses all applied indexes, and adds a GMT hand and 24 hour scale. Plus while it is on pre-order it is almost $200 off where it will be after the pre-order.

As far as the Tudor vs. Sinn debate, the Tudor BB36 has been a bit of a grail for me for a while. The one downside to it is the 19mm lugs. I have tons of 18 and 20mm straps, and it would be really annoying to have to get more, and harder to find. If aren’t one to switch out straps often then I would say the Tudor is a great watch.

In the end I think the BB36 is a bit dressier and would work if you are in a more formal setting more often. The Sinn is a little more casual and fits a jeans and t-shirt more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information