Tudor Black Bay Dark Review
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Tudor Black Bay Dark Review

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Sponsor Timeless Luxury Watches's Avatar

The Black Bay is, without a doubt, the most celebrated model Tudor makes, so when Tudor decided to shake it up and offer a contemporary-styled version of their vintage model, the world took notice. The aptly-named "Dark" is that model, the very first, and so far only, contemporary-themed model in the growing Black Bay lineup. Obviously, it includes a black case and (optional) bracelet, but it also benefits from the new in-house movement upgrade.

The Tudor Black Bay has evolved from a single model, then to a color-coded variety of models, and finally in 2016, a complete line of watches. All of the existing models received major updates, but several all-new versions were released, like the Bronze, the 36 and, of course, this "Dark."

Of the three, I find the 36 and this Dark the most philosophically interesting. I've already discussed the 36 in my recent review, which I found interesting because it was such a departure from the case of the existing Black Bays, but the Dark is interesting for an entirely different reason: it's not a particularly "vintagey" vintage watch.

In fact, I'd say the Dark is a downright "tactical" looking watch. I'd also say it looks flat out awesome. But the one thing I wouldn't call it is vintage. The black case and red accents are pretty provocative. This poses a bit of an interesting question as to its place in the overall Tudor lineup. Before 2016, we all knew (or thought we knew) that the Pelagos was the contemporary dive watch and the Black Bay was the vintage dive watch. But that's no longer obviously true.

That doesn't mean it's not still a Black Bay, of course. The Snowflake hands, the Black Bay's hour markers, the unidirectional bezel: they're all right where you'd expect them.

One of my favorite elements, the big crown from the Submariner Big Crown, remains, and screws down for 200 meters of water resistance.

Here's a good look at the black coating Tudor uses. There's been a bit of confusion as to what exactly it is. It is, in fact, applied by PVD, but PVD itself is a process, not actually the coating. We've just clarified what exactly the coating is with Tudor, and it's titanium carbide, an ultra-hard coating but not technically DLC. Titanium carbide was chosen because it didn't obscure the finishing of the case. In this photo, you can actually see the brushing of the steel underneath the coating.

Since the Black Bay Dark is a new model, it's probably not quite accurate to say it's been updated, but suffice it to say that the new Black Bays, excepting the 36, received the absolutely terrific in-house MT-5602 movement. This is also what allows it to have that Chronometer designation on the dial.

The lume is, as far as I can tell, pretty much the same as other Black Bays, but that only means that it's stellar. I'd say that Tudor is consistently in the top 10% in terms of lume application and brightness in the watches I review.

Is the world ready for an edgier, more contemporary Black Bay? I think so. It does become a bit confusing within the broader Black Bay context, but it's not as if the Black Bay Dark steps on the Pelagos' toes. As of this writing, there is no "dark" equivalent among the Pelagoses, or really most places in Tudor's lineup, Black Shield excepted.

In fact, the Black Bay dark is, without question, my favorite Black Bay model. The others are wonderful, don't get me wrong, but the Dark just looks cooler. Frankly, it's the coolest watch Tudor makes. The combination of the iconic Snowflake hands, the big crown, the all-black case and dial, along with the bright red accents, just really makes the watch pop.

Naturally, you don't have to agree with me on the Dark. If you think the Dark is just too edgy, or too modern, the original three models make their return, now with in-house movements, as well as an even more vintage-inspired Bronze or the smaller, dressier 36. The only thing that really changed was that you now have so many more options.

I think Tudor is in their renaissance.

Last edited by Timeless Luxury Watches; September 24th, 2016 at 20:37.

Re: Tudor Black Bay Dark Review

It's nice but PVD. They couldn't go ceramic or DLC.
    Regards,

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Cybotron View Post
    It's nice but PVD. They couldn't go ceramic or DLC.
    I'd have loved to see a ceramic case myself, but I think they wanted to keep the price in normal Black Bay territory. I spoke with Tudor earlier today and they also said that if they went ceramic with the case, they'd have made the bracelet ceramic too, and they are concerned about the structural integrity of the bracelet specifically.

As per the PVD, it's actually a process, not the coating itself. You can apply a lot of different coatings via PVD. The material Tudor chose was titanium carbide, which is indeed extremely strong, but was apparently selected over competing coatings for aesthetic reasons.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Timeless Luxury Watches View Post
    As per the PVD, it's actually a process, not the coating itself. You can apply a lot of different coatings via PVD. The material Tudor chose was titanium carbide, which is indeed extremely strong, but was apparently selected over competing coatings for aesthetic reasons.
    At BaselWorld we got to spend some quality time with Mr. Ander Ugarte who is the father of Tudor's Black Bay line. He said they chose Titanium Carbide over DLC because it was softer and less apt to flake off during hard use.
    Black Bay Dark - Initial Thoughts - Page 2
    Last edited by CMSgt Bo; September 24th, 2016 at 23:21. Reason: A Black Bag is something completely different

Quote Originally Posted by CMSgt Bo View Post
    At BaselWorld we got to spend some quality time with Mr. Ander Ugarte who is the father of Tudor's Black Bag line. He said they chose Titanium Carbide over DLC because it was softer and less apt to flake off during hard use.
    Black Bay Dark - Initial Thoughts - Page 2
    They didn't mention that to me today, but it makes sense. Titanium carbide is considerably less brittle than other super hard materials.

Is the black and the one with the blue bezel the only two with the white indices? I saw the red and the black (non PVD) one today at the AD and they had that aged look, not sure the correct/proper term for it.

Another amazing review with world class pictures... The watch, not for me though;)
    Rolex / Grand Seiko / Tag Heuer / Garmin / Suunto

Both this black one and the bronze one are on my ever growing list of most wanted watches. I saw both at the AD this week and they both looked fantastic in person.

Thank you for another great review with fantastic pictures!!! Keep them coming.

Jeff

Love the watch, but the gap between the spring bars and the case bothers me a lot; especially on the bracelet model.

Would really like to see more photos of this on the wrist and hear some owner experiences. I appreciate how the pvd treatment allows you to see the brushed ss underneath. Flipped a BB Blue ETA a few months back. Down the road I could see myself wanting the Dark. What I loved most about this watch was the fact that it was a little chunky, but a little refined at the same time. Great job Timeless.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information