Tudor Tiger Chronograph STOLEN by customs office in Sweden. HELP!!!
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Tudor Tiger Chronograph STOLEN by customs office in Sweden. HELP!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Tudor Tiger Chronograph STOLEN by customs office in Sweden. HELP!!!

Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone had a similar incident happen to them, and if so, if they could offer some advice...

I was living in Sweden for three months (Feb-Apr). I had forgot to pack my Tudor Tiger chronograph, so I asked my father to ship it to me from USA. He shipped it using first class international and registered the package. So far so good.

On March 6, I received a letter from PostNord (Sweden's postal service) that I was instructed to pay a VAT of 4500kr ($495 USD) to release from the customs office--a hefty sum for my own property. So I call the customer service office. I explain that we were only trying to insure the package for $2000, and that it wasn't merchandise. They told me to NOT pay the VAT and that it would be shipped back to the sender in two weeks.

Two weeks go by....Nothing. "It will ship back next week".

Two more weeks....nothing. "It will ship back next week".

Two more weeks....nothing. "It will ship back next week".

Two more weeks...nothing. "We don't know what's wrong." Now I'm really starting to freak out.

April, May, June, I call once a week and I get the same story. They have to manually override the system to release the package but the one guy in Sweden that knows how to do it can't be found. Great. Fantastic. Loving Sweden's postal system right now.

Finally in July, after racking up a $200 international phone bill, I manage to communicate with someone who figures out how to release the package. And the package is finally rerouted back to the USA. Momentary relief.

I check the tracking number everyday. It scans in Chicago. Two days later, it's back in Massachusetts and out for delivery. My father calls me when the package arrive. The package was tampered with. It was torn open and resealed. Oh no. Please don't say it.

"There's no watch in here." My father tells me.

My heart drops.

I'm scared, angry, frustrated, helpless. I feel regret and remorse. How could I have trusted the international postal system with such a valuable time piece.

I have made a claim with USPS, and attempted two times to make a claim with postnord, both time unsuccessful. They claim that they need to "override" the system again and no one knows how to do it. USPS wants to throw their hands up and Sweden is not taking responsibility.

What can I do? Beside mourn the loss of my beloved Tiger.

Any advice from this community would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Tudor Tiger Chronograph STOLEN by customs office in Sweden. HELP!!!

Terrible situation... I haven't any advice for you and can only give my sympathies. I doubt that any resolution will be leaving you entirely satisfied.
    AP Royal Oak 14790, VC Overseas Chrono 49140, Rolex Submariner 16610, Omega Speedmaster 3570.50, Omega Seamaster 2561.80, JLC Master Moonphase 18ct white 140.3.98, Longines 1921 Manual wind, Cartier Pasha 18ct Yellow W3004856 , Rolex Extra Prima 9ct 1924, Seiko Cocktail Time SSA345J1

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Sorry for your loss.
    How do you know it was stolen/embezzled by customs office in Sweden ? Could have happened on its way back as well, no ? Stolen by some carrier’s employees ? If so, I am inclined to say that the title you did chose for is misleading. Complained to the swedish polisen ? Embezzlement is a crime in Sweden as well and the swedish police will take a report on a crime committed by a public servant (ämbetsman) very serious.
    PanKorop likes this.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

There are so many places along its route that the watch could have gone AWOL that I can’t honestly see you getting a happy outcome from this. That’s not to say that you shouldn’t kick a stink up about it.

“Something is rotten in the state of Denmark.
    — Please follow, Marcellus, we told you Sweden.”

Awful but the good thing is that you had the USPS insurance for it. Make them pay. You don't have to work with any other party.
    steadyrock likes this.

and people complain about why I only ship within the CONUS
    Ellery, kyfra, Perseus and 1 others like this.
    the five stages of a watch flipper
    infatuation
    appropriation acquisition justification resale

The biggest mistake you made was to have the watch shipped to you! You should have simply waited till the next time you went home to collect it.

Maybe this story will warn others.

Quote Originally Posted by Denizen View Post
    The biggest mistake you made was to have the watch shipped to you! You should have simply waited till the next time you went home to collect it.

Maybe this story will warn others.
    Assuming I brought at least one watch with me (and what WIS/enthusiast doesn't have a watch on their wrist at every waking hour), I probably would have just done without for the 3 months I was away.

But that's neither here nor there. Terrible situation and I think the odds of recovering the watch are slim to none. Best of luck with your insurance claim. I'm sure someone will pay up, though that hardly replaces something with sentimental value.