Tudor watches vs Rolex heritage
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Tudor watches vs Rolex heritage

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Tudor watches vs Rolex heritage

Name:  TUDOR Heritage Chrono Blue.jpg
Views: 7662
Size:  28.4 KB

Tudor Heritage Chronograph Blue --- Great watch, great brand, great value proposition ... but what kind of intrigues me is the fact that some people who be trying to sell their Tudors (including this new Blue Heritage) online thru eBay or other sites always rely and underscore - ROLEX - MADE BY ROLEX - ROLEX QUALITY - etc .... Cannot Tudor hold a good resale value without having to remind prospective buyers about their Rolex heritage ? Does that mean that Tudor is still not strong enough to hold its own on field amongst the big daddies of the watch world ? It still has to look upto big brother ROLEX to hold its hand to make it sell ? Then why not simply go buy a ROLEX than a Tudor when you know ultimately its the ROLEX heritage and build quality that's gonna hold sway ....

Re: Tudor watches vs Rolex heritage

Answer is 97.675% of the general public doesn't know anything about watches and less about TUDOR.
    They write and sale to the general public and everybody knows ROLEX.
    You are in a very select and limited group here....Congrats on being a two percent'er.
    Knowledge is power.
    lmcgbaj, G00dband, CMTFR and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by little big feather View Post
    Answer is 97.675% of the general public doesn't know anything about watches and less about TUDOR.
    They write and sale to the general public and everybody knows ROLEX.
    You are in a very select and limited group here....Congrats on being a two percent'er.
    Knowledge is power.
    +1

Tudor is not that well known. Mostly by not being present in the US market.

Why would you buy one vs a Rolex. One answer: Price.

Super fit and finish for 1/3 the Rolex price.

I know there are cheaper alternatives.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Ball Watch, Bremont and Longines moderator samanator's Avatar

More annoying to me is its not true. While I like the new Tudors they do not have many of the features and standards that have made Rolex. They don't share many elements other that case machining and I see an apparent attempt to make things less than a Rolex. I'll point to the bezel wobble on the Black Bay and Pelagos verses a Sub as an example or the Top Grade ETA that is not COSC (and not well regulated based on the Watch Time test of the Black Bay). The Pelagos bracelet is riddled with gimmicks were the Sub bracelet is understated yet fully functional industry standard for comfort. The two newer Tudors I looked at felt more like a 60% Rolex intentionally. Half a Rolex at half the price probably is not a great marketing campaign. Don't get me wrong I will probably buy one of the two above when they are available in the US, but I have my expectations preset and have already handled both. I did own a Tudor Sub in the past from near the end of the last time they were in the US. That linking to Rolex was part of what killed them last time so I hope they abandon it and stand on their own. The big issue I see now is no Rolex AD I have talked to wants the line! I think it would be better if it was at non Rolex AD. Tudor is trying some new things and taking chances with a market cap. Some cool things can come from this, but they need to address the movement thing and at least use ETA COSC or not let the three blind mice regulate them. Plus 13.5 seconds on a nearly $4k watch is intentional grounding(sorry for the US football reference). Additionally a little reserve would help on things like the Pelagos clasp, they should have stopped before adding the spring thing.
    Last edited by samanator; June 23rd, 2013 at 15:45.
    Michael
    BALL Watch, Bremont and Longines Moderator

My wife buys dogs and I buy watches and to date I have never stepped in watch poop!

Ball Watch, Bremont and Longines moderator samanator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lmcgbaj View Post
    +1

Tudor will be here any day now. Two page ad in the primary US watch magazine (Watch Time) plus a review in the same magazine prove they will be here soon. They only review watches available here.

Not at 1/3 more like 1/2 at least based on the current offerings.
    Last edited by samanator; June 23rd, 2013 at 15:41.
    Michael
    BALL Watch, Bremont and Longines Moderator

My wife buys dogs and I buy watches and to date I have never stepped in watch poop!

For the general consumer, it is a good marketing position to borrow the Rolex equity. Even for me Tudor came onto my radar from the Rolex association. I agree with the OP that if you want a Rolex then buy a Rolex. As for Tudor, they have departed from their heritage of being a Rolex homage to designing watches that have a unique personality. I hope at some point they will drop the heavy patronage of Rolex. Ironically, I really love everything about the BB. What's holding me back is getting past something made by Rolex that uses a Swatch movement. It's like hitting a brick wall. I think I would have purchased one already if they would have just simply marketed this really beautiful watch without the Rolex reference. The watch is gorgeous with great finish and an excellent movement. Hopefully it will escape its " entry level Rolex" status.
    Rolex GMT Master II 16713
    Omega PO 232.30.42 - Omega Seamaster Pro 212.30 - Omega Seamaster Pro 2264.50 (favorite weekend watch)
    MK II Vantage - Debaufre Ocean 1 Classic - Ocean7 LM-5 GMT
    Others -Tag Professional - Tag Automatic - Kadloo Vintage Trophy GMT - Bunch of Seikos but can't find my diver

Quote Originally Posted by samanator View Post
    Tudor will be here any day now. Two page ad in the primary US watch magazine (Watch Time) plus a review in the same magazine prove they will be here soon. They only review watches available here.

Not at 1/3 more like 1/2 at least based on the current offerings.
    Not really. The current offerings are full of inflated prices due to the watches not being offered in the US.

I am in Canada. We have Tudor here for quite some time. The US sellers are asking above MSRP prices at the moment.

Here is an example. Most buyers in US are not aware that Tudor BB retails at $2950 on strap and $3250 on bracelet. That is retail price. I have seen used selling on WUS for higher.

Banned

Tudor hasn't been sold in the US for a few years. It's a way to establish confidence in the brand since as mentioned everyone knows Rolex. But as far as 'better value proposition,' if it's 1/3 the watch and 1/2 the price, the Rolex is the better value.

Quote Originally Posted by aardvarkbark View Post
    Tudor hasn't been sold in the US for a few years. It's a way to establish confidence in the brand since as mentioned everyone knows Rolex. But as far as 'better value proposition,' if it's 1/3 the watch and 1/2 the price, the Rolex is the better value.
    Compare Tudor BB with a SubC. Fit and finish are on par. I know because I had both. I will give a slight edge to the SubC but still the BB is very close. Leaving personal taste on colours aside, the watches are comparable.

SubC retails at $8550 and the BB at $3250.

EDIT: don't get me wrong, there is much more to the SubC than there is to the BB. The in-house movement, heritage, etc, etc... And that is why you pay the premium. I am just stating the fact that Tudor's offering are great value for the money. That is it.
    Last edited by lmcgbaj; June 23rd, 2013 at 16:34.

Quote Originally Posted by lmcgbaj View Post
    +1

Price is not the "one answer" although it surely is a compelling one.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information