Tungsten?
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Tungsten?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Tungsten?

Just wondering why Tungsten is not used more over Stainless with the higher end reputable Watches? I notice it's popular with the conveyor belt watch companies. The hardness and the superb polish seems a great marriage.

Re: Tungsten?

You have Rado for one. But in the end it is expensive and hard to machine.

Probably because tungsten is quite expensive and rare. It is a rare earth metal. It is also relatively brittle unless it is turned into an alloy. The alloys are quite strong. I suspect the rarity of tungsten coupled with its importance in engineering limits the supply (also because China produces almost the entire world's supply). The cost of tungsten alloys may also be a part of it since I don't think elemental tungsten would be used in jewelry (its toxic).
    Current Collection - | Ball | Bvlgari | Casio | Citizen | Credor | Girard-Perregaux | Graham | Gübelin | Hamilton | Jaeger-LeCoultre | Longines | Minase | Mühle Glashütte | NOMOS Glashütte | Omega | Rolex | Seiko | Undone | Vacheron Constantin | Victorinox Swiss Army |
    Mulling Over - | Minase Horizon | Reservoir |
    On deck - | Omega Speedmaster Apollo 8 Dark Side of the Moon |
    Waiting to be on deck - | Omega Speedmaster Apollo 11 50th Anniversary |

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

And coz its way heavy..not everybody's cuppa

I had a Lum-Tec Tungsten once. A great watch, nice shine to it and scratch-proof. Ultra heavy on its tungsten bracelet but ok on leather. You just have to be careful, if you drop it it could shatter..
    Chris.

Don't confuse tungsten metal with tungsten carbide ceramic.

Tungsten metal is not brittle or all that hard to machine.

Tungsten carbide is extremely hard and brittle.

Both are VERY dense, making for a tremendously heavy watch.

I have a Lum-Tec M-20 watch made out of Tungsten Carbide. I think it's a great watch. Very scratch proof. As for shattering easily, I spoke with the maker once, and he stated that you could possibly break one of the lugs off if you used a hammer on it, but other than that, it was extremely durable . Also you would have to almost use a belt sander to mark it. So far it looks brand new. I have photos of it on a carbon fiber strap, but I have since put it on it's Tungsten bracelet. I don't have any photos of that. It is a little heavier than a lot of watches, but nothing that's distracting. Feels good on the wrist I think.

Lum-Tec M-20

Last edited by Sinquil; October 27th, 2014 at 01:23.
    drhr and brandon\ like this.

Nice strap choice.
    Enjoying a life far better than I deserve...

Quote Originally Posted by Sinquil View Post
    I have a Lum-Tec M-20 watch made out of Tungsten Carbide. I think it's a great watch. Very scratch proof. As for shattering easily, I spoke with the maker once, and he stated that you could possibly break one of the lugs off if you used a hammer on it, but other than that, it was extremely durable . Also you would have to almost use a belt sander to mark it. So far it looks brand new. I have photos of it on a carbon fiber strap, but I have since put it on it's Tungsten bracelet. I don't have any photos of that. It is a little heavier than a lot of watches, but nothing that's distracting. Feels good on the wrist I think.

Lum-Tec M-20

Nice Watch! Carbon fiber dial and weave style strap is a winner.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquaaiea View Post
    Just wondering why Tungsten is not used more over Stainless with the higher end reputable Watches? I notice it's popular with the conveyor belt watch companies. The hardness and the superb polish seems a great marriage.
    I'm confused by "conveyor belt watch companies" - is that Devon, or is that a term I'm just not familiar with?
    This used to be my signature, but now it's just this generic drawing of a watch.

I'm not on social media 24/7. It’s not a good way to reach me for support, or for me to deliver it. In order to best serve my customers, and manage my time effectively, I have turned private messaging off. The best way to reach me is using the support page of my website. Thanks for understanding.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information