Turning the corner into serious collecting, what now?

Thread: Turning the corner into serious collecting, what now?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Banned

Question Turning the corner into serious collecting, what now?

Before I start anything, let me point out that I just turned 24 and live on my own in Southern California, and am engaged, so my budget isn't quite where it will be (hopefully) one day soon. But, for now, here is where I am,

I started out with my Oris TT1 Day/Date three years ago. I wore it for over a year before I realized I just needed a second option. That's when I came across the Tag Carrera and fell in love with the design. I know they are very similar, but the Carrera draws much more attention and is much lighter and slimmer, while I feel the Oris is more of a true "automatic" style watch. It was just about one year ago from now that I saw the Hamilton Open Heart at my favorite shop and had to talk them down low enough to justify it. I love havign one black face in my collection, the company history is amazing, and it draws "oooh" and "aaaah!" from people who know nothing about watches, but like the skeleton view.

The funny purchase was last week with my fiance at Nordstrom Rack, buying jeans. She found a Kenneth Cole watch she thought was "neat". I looked it over and it's a great looking automatic with a semi-skeleton view. Originally just under $200 on sale for $49. The movement isn't supposed to be horrible from what I've read. In any case, I love the look and having a leather strap in the collection- and one which I can beat on and not feel *too* badly about.

So, down to the bottom line.
    Tomorrow I'm going to my watch boutique (bought all 3 high-end watches there, plus 3 Mont Blanc pens for work- amazing discounts). I am either considering a mid-price simplistic watch such as a Hamilton or Tissot with a brown strap/theme to match more of my casual clothes, or an entry-level watch into one of the more prestigious brands. At the moment, there is a Day/Date Movado Automatic with black leather strap (I believe 42mm) that I could have for $595 OTD. Also, I've been watching at the basic Tag black face Link since I first got my Carrera. That would stretch my budget pre-wedding, but is still within my means at the moment.

Here are two pictures of my current collection. Thankfully I have a nice winder with room for two more pieces, which can be set either clockwise, counter, or alternating- so I never have to worry about that. Best $200 my collection has ever seen.

Below are two pictures of my current collection. Give me some feedback on what I need to fill into my collection tomorrow. Mind you their main brands are Oris, Tag, Hamilton, Tissot, Swiss Army, some Movado, and a few hit and miss pieces from other brands. :thanks

Thanks guys!

Re: Turning the corner into serious collecting, what now?

You've got mostly what I would call a dress watch collection. You could look into a pilot or dive watch style, or maybe a chronograph if you like them.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Nice Carrera. It is my fav watch in my collection.

You are like me...very simple designs get me going.

On my list is an Archimede Pilot. You may want to look into those

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Ray MacDonald View Post
    You've got mostly what I would call a dress watch collection. You could look into a pilot or dive watch style, or maybe a chronograph if you like them.
    I agree. I actually just started myself, and of those brands listed - I like Oris' aviation collection. I have my eye out for a Swiss Hunter, but have been wanting a BC Pointer Day. Hamilton's Khaki collection also has some nice military/aviation watches that use ETA movements.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by AbsoluteMustard View Post
    Nice Carrera. It is my fav watch in my collection.

You are like me...very simple designs get me going.

On my list is an Archimede Pilot. You may want to look into those
    I just looked at the 45mm automatic pilot- it might be my new favorite design in a reasonably priced watch. It's amazing how inexpensive they are even with the conversion from euros to dollars.

I haven't heard of the brand until just now though- where do they usually get grouped in the hierarchy of brands?

How about a Hamilton Khaki Officer? I love these for a "casual" watch and plan to have one in the not too distant future...

Breitling Headwind (blue, brushed on Pilot bracelet)
    Omega
    Seamaster Professional Bond (black)
    Tag Heuer Lewis Hamilton Aquaracer Calibre S (#3383/3500)
    Tag Heuer Formula 1 (white dial)
    Hamilton Field Automatic (42mm, leather)
    Citizen Eco-Drive Calibre 8700 (2-tone)
    Fossil Speedway Chrono (blue)

Quote Originally Posted by ocmusicjunkie View Post
    I just looked at the 45mm automatic pilot- it might be my new favorite design in a reasonably priced watch. It's amazing how inexpensive they are even with the conversion from euros to dollars.

I haven't heard of the brand until just now though- where do they usually get grouped in the hierarchy of brands?
    You will find that there are thousands of brands

Some of the best ones nobody outside the WIS world know about.

Archimede is a very good German watch company

A few similar companies are Stowa and Laco. Stowa probably being the best of the 3.

Quote Originally Posted by MRCS View Post
    How about a Hamilton Khaki Officer? I love these for a "casual" watch and plan to have one in the not too distant future...
    Very nice watches indeed - will only fit if you have larger wrists though. They offer the Hamilton Khaki which is similar in a 42 mm. From your collection, it seems like white / silver dominates. Maybe you want a black dial to round things out. Stowa offers some amazing mil / pil / observation style watches at reasonable prices. Oris & Tag also make some nice divers. Good luck, and let us know how it goes

Very nice ... Love the winder!
    Proud Owner Of:
    Omega Seamaster Pro Chronograph in Titanium
    Omega Seamaster Pro Chronograph in Stainless
    Oris Aquis 733-7653-4159MB
    Oris Aquis 01 733 7653 4154-07 8 26 01PEB
    Seiko SKX009K2 Automatic Diver's Watch
    Seiko SKX007 Automatic Diver's Watch

Looking for:
    Tag Heuer 1000m Super professional
    Heuer Regatta Timer 134.603 Series

Did you ever give any thought to an on-line purchase rather than your local boutique...

or even a used watch purchased from the sales forum here?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information