TW Steel - opinion?
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: TW Steel - opinion?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

TW Steel - opinion?

Hi Guys,

First time poster and big watch fan.

From Swiss Army, to Seiko, Hugo Boss and even some Oakley 'bling'!

Always wanted a TW Steel, what do you think about the Canteen TW9 50mm? Seen somewhere online selling it on sale reduced by £240, I know the jewels may not be to everyone's taste.

Last edited by Johnny Boy; February 3rd, 2012 at 17:01.

Re: TW Steel - opinion?

It's loud, it's gaudy, it's oversized, it has cubic zirkonia, it has an enormous canteen over the crown that covers one of the pushers, the hands, the font.. the list goes on of things I don't like about this watch. Oversized is quickly going out of style, but to each their own

Kindest Regards,
    Portauto
    Perseus and dnslater like this.
    Rotation: IWC Portuguese 5001-09 7-Day; Glashütte Original PanoReserve; Rolex Oyster 6480 (1955); TAG Heuer 2000 Professional
    Sold: Seiko MarineMaster SBDX001; Omega Seamaster Professional; Steinhart Nav.B-Uhr II B-Type; Wilson Pilot with Sea-Gull ST36
    Older: Tissot Visodate Heritage 1957; Sea-Gull 819.315; Citizen Promaster Navitach JQ8020-52L; Casio DBC-61 Databank Digital (first watch)
    Daily Wear: Apple Watch Series 4 Hermes 40mm
    My Wife's: Cartier Tank Solo W5200005; Apple Watch Series 4 GPS 40mm

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Boy View Post
    Hi Guys,

First time poster and big watch fan.

From Swiss Army, to Seiko, Hugo Boss and even some Oakley 'bling'!

Always wanted a TW Steel, what do you think about the Canteen TW9 50mm? Seen somewhere online selling it on sale reduced by £240, I know the jewels may not be to everyone's taste.
    Definitely not my cup of tea, but I do own a couple of TW Steel watches and really like them.

They're nicely built and pricing is pretty reasonable on Amazon or eBay.

Bell & Ross BR01-92 Heritage Bell & Ross BR03-88 Breitling Navitimer 01 LE
    Maurice Lacroix Masterpiece Squelette Panerai PAM 177 • Panerai PAM 188
    Perrelet Regulator Retrograde Perrelet Turbine XL • Tag Heuer Monaco 24

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned

They just look so ridiculous I've never been inclined to find out anything about them. Even if they were as well built/accurate as anything else on the planet, I'd pass at any price.

I like the designs (just not the cz bling). The other ones they offer are proportionate and clean.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk
    "Every idea spawns another. Therefore no idea is bad." -Scott Kraemer

Note that the past couple of posters expressed their distaste for big, loud watches but there's a lot less vitriol compared to opinions written about U-Boat. I think that's mainly because TW Steel actually prices their watches far more reasonably - $200-300 for a quartz Canteen rather than U-Boat's $2000-3000 for an ETA 2824.

Personally I like TW Steel...I've seen their watches up close and the build quality is very solid and frankly they work well as watches. I mean it's not like they're designs are so cluttered that it reduces the ability to tell time. I'll never own one, but that's due to my personal taste rather than any objective problems with the company. In fact the only issue I have with their pieces is that some online descriptions state the crystal as "Sapphire-coated mineral." WTH does that mean?! So it's like a 10 micron gold plated case?
    Consolidation complete! Down from 17 watches to 2 grails + 3 support
    Rolex Seadweller 16600 / ALS Saxonia / Casio Edifice (travel) / Hamilton Intramatic (ultra-thin dress) / Kadloo Match Race (tool)

Thanks for the honest opinions. I realise it's a large and to some a bit gaudy, I have seen some TW Steel close up and think they are really well made watches.
    I have always wanted one but having quite a large collection already, didn't want to pay £500 or so, this one I saw at a knockdown price of £180.
    Yes it's oversized and to some a bit tacky, and I respect your opinion.

Dangeruss I like your red Tech TW125(?).

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

More a fashion watch than a collector's item. Looking ridiculous.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Quote Originally Posted by Scottish Steve View Post
    They just look so ridiculous I've never been inclined to find out anything about them. Even if they were as well built/accurate as anything else on the planet, I'd pass at any price.
    Quote Originally Posted by stuffler,mike View Post
    More a fashion watch than a collector's item. Looking ridiculous.
    At a few hundred dollars they're all fashion watches.

As far as looking ridiculous, that's a matter of opinion. Others might say your choices are boring.

To the OP...buy whatever you like.

Bell & Ross BR01-92 Heritage Bell & Ross BR03-88 Breitling Navitimer 01 LE
    Maurice Lacroix Masterpiece Squelette Panerai PAM 177 • Panerai PAM 188
    Perrelet Regulator Retrograde Perrelet Turbine XL • Tag Heuer Monaco 24

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Boy View Post
    Thanks for the honest opinions. I realise it's a large and to some a bit gaudy, I have seen some TW Steel close up and think they are really well made watches.
    I have always wanted one but having quite a large collection already, didn't want to pay £500 or so, this one I saw at a knockdown price of £180.
    Yes it's oversized and to some a bit tacky, and I respect your opinion.

Dangeruss I like your red Tech TW125(?).

I will offer some pragmatic advice. 1) If you haven't tried one on yet be sure to do so - don't just look at them through a display window. I thought I could handle 48mm with a little over 7 inch wrist and was really interested in an Oris titanium diver. Turns out the maximum I'm willing to wear is 45mm. That Oris diver looked bad on my wrist, but it looked great on the web.

2) If you do end up buying a 50 mm watch, be really careful with it. It's like wearing a watch on the other wrist - you'll bang into stuff because you don't normally compensate for having a watch there (trust me...I used to wear a watch on both wrists at home to keep my automatics wound. I quickly learned to put the cheap auto on my right wrist and then just splurged on a winder )
    Consolidation complete! Down from 17 watches to 2 grails + 3 support
    Rolex Seadweller 16600 / ALS Saxonia / Casio Edifice (travel) / Hamilton Intramatic (ultra-thin dress) / Kadloo Match Race (tool)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information