Show me a dial indexed in full-range, 1-12 Arabic numerals and you've got my attention. Cloak the numbers in lume, have 'em framed and set against a contrasting dial and you'd pretty much have me sold on it. Casio's early 2013 Japan release WVA-M630B-1AJF Waveceptor has all these attractions and further ups the ante with Multi Band 6 solar/atomic, multi-function digital display and an affordable price.

Another thing I like are pocket radios. While "window-shopping" watches at Japan Amazon, I came across what I then thought to be a small Seiko alarm clock radio. It was a unique JDM piece that featured a lumed and lighted analog clock with digital AM/FM, 3-way power, emergency siren, LED light and IPX4 water resistance. As it turned out, the mighty KR885N is not too small and it certainly is not pocketable.

Although I received both of these over a week ago, I held off opening 'em up till I had a chance to photograph my first ever double unboxing, this past Sunday. Then it has taken couple more days or so to get a shot at getting this thread up and running. So, hope you enjoy it.

Not one, but two boxes stacked and waiting for days on end to be opened.

Box surgery

Poor packaging with inadequate padding but JDM Casio box is a sign of good things to come

Japanese manual

Watch case

...Out and on top of the box

Exposure to light on case opening, awakens the watch from power-save sleep, setting the hands on a quick clockwise trip around the dial to settle at Tokyo time 13 hours ahead of EDT.

Bigger than imagined. Full-sized with a prominent dial.

Head-on shot for case and dial detail

Sideways to reveal some of the dial's shiny intricacies through the veil of protective lens film

Thick, stitched all-around, leather[ette?] backed, heavy-duty fabric band with riveted holes.

Squared up lug gaps and framed numerals are flattering design touches

Those deep rivets make unbuckling a bit of a chore that requires deliberate folding of the band back against the buckle to free and hold the tang away from the rivets lest it gets caught in one of the next holes up when pulling the buckle off.

Bathed in noon light

Onto the much heavier box #2

Absolutely no padding for the alarm clock radio and the heavy, optional AC adaptor boxes inside.

My total unfamiliarity of Japanese doesn't stop me from guessing that this a comparison chart of run times between external batteries and the internal rechargeable one. Would love it if some of our Japanese-speaking members came to the rescue here as there's nary a word of English anywhere on this product. A JDM item through and through.

Features in pictogram, L to R: Rechargeable internal battery; analog alarm clock; AM/FM; hand-crank recharging dynamo; siren; LED flashlight.

Seiko's tight, protective packaging runs in sharp contrast to Amazon's careless job.

Radio and sundry of plugs, ports and cable. Another cool feature which was left out of the pictograms on the side but appears on front of the box visible here; is the cellphone charging capability.

Contents unpacked

Front

Back

LED flashlight on the side

Top. Flashlight button on the handle. Snooze bar on body which also activates clock light while pressed.

The dynamic duo in size comparison

Say what?!

One more look at the entire box contents including the Japanese manual

And last but not least, the optional AC adaptor, which goes a long way in completing the package unless you're into hand-cranking.

Here's the google-translated Casio and Seiko write-ups on each respective item:

WVA-M630B-1AJF

It is a solar radio multiband 6 corresponding to the standard radio in Japan, China, USA and Europe.

In addition to the calendar view, it is equipped with a variety of useful features, including a alarm and world time. I adopted the skin / cross band high lightweight and durable the band. Use the orange in the printing of logo and second hand, giving the impression of outdoor.

LED: Amber

¥ 17,500 (including tax ¥ 18,375)
Case bezel material: Resin / Stainless Steel Cross / synthetic leather band

• Neo Bright
  • Resin glass
  • 5 ATM water resistant
  • Tough Solar (solar charge system)
  • (Up to 6 times / day) (China radio waves 5 times / day maximum) / manual reception automatic reception,: wave reception function
    <Japan> reception electric wave: JJY, Frequency: 40kHz / 60kHz (Fukushima / Kyushu both bureau model)
    <North America region> reception electric wave: WWVB, Frequency: 60kHz
    <European region> reception electric wave: MSF/DCF77, Frequency: 60kHz / 77.5kHz
    <China> reception electric wave: BPC, frequency: 68.5kHz
    * If you set the city can receive a set time home, you will receive a station according to city. The time difference is set by the selected city.
  • Time (29 time zones, daylight saving time setting function) + UTC (Coordinated Universal Time) 29 cities around the world: world time
  • (1/100 second, 60 minutes meter) stopwatch
  • Timer (a set unit: 1 minute, set up: 100 minutes, measured in seconds)
  • Strikes five time alarm
  • Battery indicator displays
  • (Saving power to stop the needle off the display after a certain time in the dark) Power saving function
  • Full Auto Calendar
  • Display switch 12/24 hour
  • Beep ON / OFF switching function
  • 3 pattern display switching (date, day of the week display, second display, time display), multi-language day of the week notation (five languages: Japanese / English / German / Spanish / Chinese)
  • LED light (with afterglow function)
  • If the function is used the drive time in the state without the solar generation since full charge: When about four months power saving state: about 22 months

JJY40 · JJY60 standard radio (reception function correspondence city) / received signal Tokyo / Japan Home City
    Standard radio WWVB (Honolulu), (Anchorage), Los Angeles, Denver, Chicago, New York / United States
    Standard radio wave MSF London, Paris, Athens / British standard radio wave DCF77 in Germany
    Standard radio wave BPC of Hong Kong / China
    ※ There is the case of receiving condition is good, each city in parentheses.

* When the electric wave reception is not done, I work (15 seconds per month difference ±) usually quartz accuracy.

Size (H × W × D) / Weight: 45.1 × 42.1 × 11mm/34.7g
No description operation. 5161

© 2013 CASIO COMPUTER CO., LTD.

KR885N
Quartz

The preparations charge with disaster prevention clock debuts support life Water proof to charge the smartphone

Price 8,925 yen (8,500 yen body)
Frame material Plastic frame light gray
Size and weight 154x170x67mm 590g
Battery The power supply is chosen from (AA (alkaline) × 3 (sold separately)) ① ② internal rechargeable battery batteries.
The power duration, please check the (first from lower left) left.

In addition, the charging of the ① internal rechargeable battery,
• There are three ways you make use of (tax-included 1,575 yen) (sold separately) · AC adapter ZZ262A turning the handle manual generator to connect devices with a USB terminal (personal computer, etc.) (Dynamo).
Function
  • (IPX4 (JIS protection grade 4) or equivalent that can be used without having to worry about the spray ※) life waterproof
  • Snooze (only electronic sound)
  • Dial light
  • AM / FM radio (mono automatic tuning)
  • Volume control (radio)
  • Switched alarm as "Radio" and "bleep"
  • Earphone jack
  • Manual generator (dynamo)
  • Mobile phone / smart phone charging function
  • Flashlight Light (white LED)
  • Emergency buzzer
  • Step second hand