Two "tools" every mechanical watch owner should have
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Two "tools" every mechanical watch owner should have

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Two "tools" every mechanical watch owner should have

About 2 weeks ago I switched watches to make a run to Lowes with my neighbor to collect supplies to do a project I am helping me with. I forget which watch I took off but I put on my Black Bay since I am less concerned if it got scratched loading and unloading lumber. I set it to within a minute and ran out the door. After the trip, some planning and a couple of beers I walked home, a total of about 4 hours and when I sat down I noticed the watch was near 5 minutes fast, I figured I just set it 5 minutes fast as I have been known to do. I switched watches but wound the Black Bay up and sure enough the next day it was almost 30 minutes fast. Since it was well into the holiday busy season instead of running to my AD I figured it was time to get the demagnetizing supplies. AFAIK I have ever magnetized a watch and have no idea how or if this one got magnetized.

So after a couple of days of procrastination I hit up eBay on the 23rd and ordered a decent compass and the cheapo demagnetizer that "everyone" uses. Total shipped for both was $15.49 and I made sure they both shipped from the US (mainly to get them faster), I could have saved 6-7 bucks if I went the full China route and got one of the .99 compasses but I would have had to wait a couple of weeks. In any event they shipped on the 24th, got them yesterday. I checked and verified a very slight magnetic field with the compass and demagged the watch. Just held it to the demag for a second and slowly pulled pulled it out to arms reach and let go of the button. Verified with the compass the field was gone and now 24hrs later the Black Bay is +3 seconds, just like before.

Really nice to be able diagnose and remedy this for ~$15 and although my AD will do it for free it either saves a 1 hour trip or prevents me from waiting until I am in the area. Pretty nice for less than the cost of a quality spring bar tool.

Name:  Picture564.jpg
Views: 546
Size:  27.9 KB

Name:  s-l500.jpg
Views: 533
Size:  27.1 KB
    Last edited by ilitig8; December 29th, 2015 at 23:26.
    ALS Blancpain Breguet Chopard GO Hamilton Hexa Hublot IWC JLC Omega Panerai Patek Rolex Tag Tudor Seiko Sinn UN Vacheron

Re: Two "tools" every mechanical watch owner should have

RESULT!

I do need to get a demagnetizer, even if (like you) I have never run into the issue.

There was a thread somewhat recently in f29 about tools every WIS should have. Can't locate it at the moment.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by omeglycine View Post
    There was a thread somewhat recently in f29 about tools every WIS should have.
    I saw that some time ago, figured I would throw this out there in F2.

The demagnetizer is also good for tools and tweezers etc you don't want to be magnetic.
    ALS Blancpain Breguet Chopard GO Hamilton Hexa Hublot IWC JLC Omega Panerai Patek Rolex Tag Tudor Seiko Sinn UN Vacheron

Question: what do you think was the situation in which your watch got magnetized?
    Jaeger Lecoultre Master Grande Ultra Thin Date, Bucherer Edition
    Rolex
    Sea Dweller 4000, ref 116600 / Datejust, ref 116234 / Milgauss, ref 116400
    Longines Conquest Heritage 1954-2014 (#13 of 60)
    Grand Seiko SBGA011 / SBGV005
    Seiko SBBN015
    Sinn 140 A (#087 of 500)
    + others...

Quote Originally Posted by Legion681 View Post
    Question: what do you think was the situation in which your watch got magnetized?
    That is the thing I have NO clue. AFAIK I have never had it happen before, at least to the level of making a noticeable impact on accuracy. Given I only wear a watch less than once a month I couldn't retrace my steps.

Quote Originally Posted by ilitig8 View Post
    I saw that some time ago, figured I would throw this out there in F2. The demagnetizer is also good for tools and tweezers etc you don't want to be magnetic.
    Lol f29. Guess I'm in a buying mood.

remedy this for ~$15 and although my AD will do it for free it either saves a 1 hour trip
    1 hour each way, or round trip? If it's each way, figure the cost of gas alone, much less anything else, and $15 becomes dirt cheap. Me, I think of my time as a cost...so should the need arise, this would be a no-brainer.

Quote Originally Posted by gangrel View Post
    1 hour each way, or round trip? If it's each way, figure the cost of gas alone, much less anything else, and $15 becomes dirt cheap. Me, I think of my time as a cost...so should the need arise, this would be a no-brainer.

It is round trip, while it is only about $4 in gas (currently we pay 1.69 for gas) plus wear and tear on the car that hour of my time is certainly worth more than $15, plus making a unscheduled trip to the watch store even for a "free" service can result in a very expensive day because of all the shiny stuff in the cases.

You don't need to buy a compass for that, I use an app called magneto on my iphone.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information