Two watches in the MRI! Whoops!

Thread: Two watches in the MRI! Whoops!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Two watches in the MRI! Whoops!

Long story short, I messed up. I always wear one of my watches. I'm a paramedic and my second job is assisting patients being sedated For MRI's. In the last month I have brought my ball and breitling into the MRI room. The ball is fast 4 minutes a day and the breitling 2 minutes fast per day. Firstly after the second incident I leave my watch in the car so this won't happen again. Cars locked and in a rather safe parking lot. My question is can my local watch guys fix this issue, or is it something that needs to be sent to the manufacturer for a arm and a leg. Any advice or info would be appreciated.

Re: Two watches in the MRI! Whoops!

Hi from a grad student in medical imaging!

From what I know (luckily, I haven't forgotten to take a watch off yet in the MRI room), this is a quick, simple, and cheap fix that any local watch guy should be able to take care of in 5 minutes or less, for $10 or less. Most people report their watch guy demagnetizing their watch in 15 seconds for free.

Good luck! Maybe it's time for a Rolex Milgauss?

Should be a pretty simple fix with a demagnetizer.
    Nomos Orion Anthracite; Destro watches: Ω "Great White" GMT, MKII Blackwater, Sinn EZM1 LE, IWC 3536-001, MKII Kingston, Precista Speedbird I, Casio MR-G120, Casio GW-5000, Sinn EZM2; Former Watches: Corvus Bradley

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

WnS

Quote Originally Posted by physics.fun View Post
    Maybe it's time for a Rolex Milgauss?
    Even that is not resistant enough to the immense magnetic field of an MRI machine.
    I'm content with my watch collection

haha oh noooooo. Yes as mentioned above i believe its not a big deal to get this fixed. And yeah...as an MIT myself...i just don't think i could do MRI cos i wouldnt be able to wear my watches! Think i'll stick to the other modalities ;) unfortunately...as far as the MRI scanner is concerned...the "antimagnetic" shielding in some high end watches is like going to war with a sword. Could be time for a g shock mate ;)

Happened to me with my ball in theatre acouple weeks ago. I dont know what machine but the watch gained 6 imn per hour. Local guy was able to demagnitise in 20 min, no problems since :)

As others have said above, it should be a quick fix. There is a slight possibility that it could end up being a little more serious like a hairspring but I would highly doubt it.

If the watch has gotten magnetised being near the coils of the MRI, the solution is to demagnetise it. Most watch repair guys should be able to do it fairly easily, and I have also heard if you ask nicely in a shop that uses magnetic security tags, they can run your watch over the demagnetising plate they use to void the tags which should fix it (though I would perhaps wait for someone to confirm this method before trying...)

Time for an anti-magnetic watch of some form perhaps? I know Rolex make the Milgauss designed to be resistant to such forces (at least to a much, much higher degree than normal) and I know there are a few G Shocks that are antimagnetic - the Gaussman if you can find one secondhand, and the G-100 both come to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by WnS View Post
    Even that is not resistant enough to the immense magnetic field of an MRI machine.
    Exactly.
    Do a search for "watches and MRI machines" - there are a few very in depth threads to be found.

cheers,
    Jake.
    Breitling Super Avenger
    Breitling SuperOcean
    Bremont MBII
    Bremont ALT1-P
    Casio G-Shock Aviator GW-3000B
    Omega Seamaster 2541.80
    Seiko Black Monster
    Seiko SKX007
    Suunto Core "All Black"
    Suunto Core Alpine Edition
    Suunto Vector
    Tissot Sea-Touch.

"When the weight of the paper equals the weight of the airplane, only then you can go flying."

Banned

At least you do not have a Magnetized Hip replacement........

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information