UK buyers from our favourite Japanese sellers

Thread: UK buyers from our favourite Japanese sellers

UK buyers from our favourite Japanese sellers

What experience have you had with UK customs? :thanks

Re: UK buyers from our favourite Japanese sellers

Er, none! I've imported three Seikos - two from Singapore (either FedEx or UPS) and one from Japan (EMS).

The carrier will pay any VAT on your behalf (VAT is payable on the shipping, too) which they will expect to be paid before they'll let you take delivery of the watch. They will also submit the parcel to HMRC and expect a fee for doing all the paperwork (aka handling charge). Parcelfarce charged me £13.50 for their handling charge on top of the VAT (though to be fair they let me know the charges within a day. Others mileage has varied and yours may do too) So, expect to add around 20% on to the basic cost when importing.

I have never had to pay import duty on a watch. The most expensive I've imported was $350, so maybe I didn't qualify. Might be different with a GS! Sorry, don't know what the limits are, but I'm sure HMRC will be only too happy to help if you ask them. No doubt they have a website and a Google search should turn it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry H View Post
    Er, none! I've imported three Seikos - two from Singapore (either FedEx or UPS) and one from Japan (EMS).

The carrier will pay any VAT on your behalf (VAT is payable on the shipping, too) which they will expect to be paid before they'll let you take delivery of the watch. They will also submit the parcel to HMRC and expect a fee for doing all the paperwork (aka handling charge). Parcelfarce charged me £13.50 for their handling charge on top of the VAT (though to be fair they let me know the charges within a day. Others mileage has varied and yours may do too) So, expect to add around 20% on to the basic cost when importing.

I have never had to pay import duty on a watch. The most expensive I've imported was $350, so maybe I didn't qualify. Might be different with a GS! Sorry, don't know what the limits are, but I'm sure HMRC will be only too happy to help if you ask them. No doubt they have a website and a Google search should turn it up.
    Thanks for the reply.
    HMRC seem to be hit and miss with collecting tax/duty .... no surprise there !
    Seems to be EMS shipments miss the radar.
    I just wondered what personal experience members had encounted.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by anjasola View Post
    Thanks for the reply.
    HMRC seem to be hit and miss with collecting tax/duty .... no surprise there !
    Seems to be EMS shipments miss the radar.
    I just wondered what personal experience members had encounted.
    This answer may be totally irrelevant since I live in the US, but the only time I've ever had to pay duty on a watch from anywhere, UK, Germany, Japan, Singapore, Malaysia, to me in the US was when it was shipped by FedEx. By EMS, never. I've never had one shipped by UPS, so they aren't in the equation. This is a total of about 25 watches and the single one on which I had to pay duty was shipped by FedEx from Germany..... just one!

Good luck with yours!

Thread Information