Ultimate Tool Watch?

Thread: Ultimate Tool Watch?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Ultimate Tool Watch?

OK folks, I come to you 'cause you know more...what is the ultimate tool watch? Sinn, Marathon, what? Thanks!

Banned

Re: Ultimate Tool Watch?

We do not know more that you do!
    IMHO, the U-series from Sinn are very close to being the ultimate Tool watch.
    Of course, being mainly mechanical, (the UX is oilfilled and Quatz) the movement is the weakest link.

Now I know the G-shock guys will chime in......

Not to be scathing of your query, but how can one possibly answer such a subjective question? Some will think the Submariner is the ultimate tool watch while others will suggest the Sinn Flieger line.
    -Jarrod

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Sorry to be such an ignorant load. I thought I could come here and ask opinions of those more educated in horology than I. I'm in the market for a watch I can wear backpacking, rock climbing, scuba diving, etc. Less than $1,000.

Banned

Casio G-Schock.
    i am not joking, as a Sinn U-series will be more than your budget.

Okay, do you want the practical answer or the romantic one? If you want the practical answer, you want a quartz. G-Shock, Ironman, or Citizen Eco-Drive would be my recommendation. Any of these watches will offer durability, accuracy, and in the case of the digitals, greater functionality than a mechanical. IMHO, the tool watches of yesterday (Submariner, Explorer, or any other sport mechanical in those price ranges) have been moved into the luxury market and replaced by your basic quartz. Granted, that under certain conditions (Outer space, and extreme arctic climates) a mechanical has an advange over a battery driven watch on practical terms.
    If you want the romantic one, then figure out which of the various mechanicals recommended in this thread is the most pleasing to you, which one stirs the most passion and go for it. But really, with a budget under a $1000, you will find a variety of okay mechanicals, (you might consider a MkII), while the world of quartz is wide open.
    Do you really want a tool watch? Then get one that you don't have to think about or worry about. If you would take it off for fear of scratching it, then it probably doesn't fall into the "tool" category.
    If you just happen to want a sporty mechanical, that's fine, too. Nothing wrong with that. Just know that you will most likely end up spending more money for a watch that is more delicate, most likely less accurate (though not always) and one that you will be more concerned to protect. You have to ask yourself, are you willing to committ to wearing this tool watch as a tool watch in the dirt and water? Are you okay with scratches and bangs?
    Caraptor

The man who buys a particular watch to feel smarter or better than other people and the man who avoids a particular watch to feel smarter or better than other people are brothers.

beshannon

Get a G-Shock

Even though I want to say this...

I'm going to have to say g-shock.
    -----------------------------------------------
    Rolex 16610 Y
    Breitling B-1
    Tawatec E.O. Diver auto
    Seiko SNL-001
    Seiko Orange Monster
    Casio 1300g-1v
    Casio GW-7900-B1

Essentially, I've decided over many sleepless nights that I am having trouble finding the perfect "all-in-one" watch. I'm buying the watch in a few weeks when I finish law school, so M-F will be at a desk or in the courtroom; S&S are spent fishing, hiking, skiing, scuba diving, etc...so instead of spending $2,500 (my budget) on one watch, I think I may buy an Omega Speedmaster Date, and then a G-Shock for the real bang around things. Looks like G-Shock it is!

Honestly a Sub, or a Seamaster/Planet Ocean or Aquatimer would fit the bill. Aqua and sub are out of your range, but you can pick up a seamaster for that price.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information