Underappreciation of Tissot?

Thread: Underappreciation of Tissot?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Underappreciation of Tissot?

Hey fellas (and gals),

I think by now I've spent an enough time on this forum to notice that there appears to be an underappreciation of Tissot outside of the PRC200 Quartz chrono--I'm not quite sure of the exact model, but I know you all know the one I'm referencing. Anyway, Tissot has a number of good looking models out right now (One of which I picked up at the begninng of January. You may have seen my arrival thread.). Take for example the Tissot Visodate 1957 Heritage Automatic, one that I'm currently drooling over. If it didn't have the exact same movement as my own Tissot, I'd considering taking the plunge for it when the funds became available. For the most part, Tissot seems to present a good value with some attractive designs to boot. The whole reason I'm so enamored with the brand at the moment is because the honey moon with my PRC200 Auto hasn't ended yet. It doesn't keep the perfect time (I'm spoiled by my Ball), but it's reasonably accurate (think +10 to 15 seconds a day) and it looks sporty and classy simultaneously.

Sorry for my rambling. Anything other forumites might like to add? Experiences with the brand?

Just a Tissot fan,
    Adam

P.S.
    A thread is nothing without photos. Here is my own Tissot which I should really grab some better pictures of:

Re: Underappreciation of Tissot?

I think its because people think it's a lower tier watch company in the overall picture of the swiss hierarchy. IMO, I like Tissot and believe they are good for the money and an entry level into the swiss world. Some Tissot watches I like are the PRC200 Chrono Quartz and the Tissot Visodate, great looking watches without breaking the bank

How much time have you spent on the actual Tissot forum? There are some huge fans of the T-touch, Visodate and Le Locle. And that's not counting the people who are into the vintage models. Admittedly, I haven't seen much of an opinion either way on the Public forum, but that's what the brand-specific forums are for anyway...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Actually i appreciate the good looks of that Tissot alot very nice!

Banned

For me, I don't like how Swatch (and other luxury branding conglomerates) buy a brand like Tissot (or Hamilton, or many others) and then slot it inot a tier, play off the history of the brand, biut at the same time limit what the brand can produce. The visodate, for example, is nice, and the dial typefaces rock. But at the end of the day it is just another swiss-ish watch (maybe even Swinese) with a ETA inside. Meh.

All that said, I REALLY like some of the T-Touch range, and some vintage Tissots rock. Just a shame the ingenuity and innovation displayed by the T-Touch hasn't been allowed to spread across the range.

I personally have a T-touch and like it a lot. I`m also considering buying another Tissot. The main reason for the distrust comes from the fact that they are cheap, compared to other Swiss made watches, while still being labeled "Swiss made". People consider buying a Tissot as buying that label for a low price, and that looks cheap (meaning you`re trying to look richer than you really are). In western culture a man`s watch is a status symbol. You don`t have to own a nice watch non-Swiss watch (Seiko, Casio, Citizen), a cheap Swiss one (Tissot, Swiss army), but to be truly satisfied you have to put a chunk of money on your arm (Rolex, Omega and the higher priced brands).

That assumption is made for the masses. Here there are people who own Rolexes and Tissots and enjoy both. Happy are those who enjoy a watch for more than it`s price tag (the message it gives to others).

Those are just my thoughts. Don`t take them seriously and buy what You like!

EHV

I like Tissot for the most part but I agree with the below statements. The "tier" that Swatch has created with all of their lines is a big turn off to me. They should have just left it alone. Was it done so someone can buy a Tissot or a Hamilton and limit their happiness with that watch until they can step up to the next tier and still never be satisfied until they reach the top?

I think that if they reached a little further and tried to create a brand loyalty with some innovation and more quality, this would create some endearment toward the conglomerate as well as good faith which in turn would create initiative for more people to continue upward on their ladder as well as increase sales of all of the brands.

Quote Originally Posted by jason_recliner View Post
    For me, I don't like how Swatch (and other luxury branding conglomerates) buy a brand like Tissot (or Hamilton, or many others) and then slot it inot a tier, play off the history of the brand, biut at the same time limit what the brand can produce. The visodate, for example, is nice, and the dial typefaces rock. But at the end of the day it is just another swiss-ish watch (maybe even Swinese) with a ETA inside. Meh.

All that said, I REALLY like some of the T-Touch range, and some vintage Tissots rock. Just a shame the ingenuity and innovation displayed by the T-Touch hasn't been allowed to spread across the range.

Quote Originally Posted by devilmoon View Post
    How much time have you spent on the actual Tissot forum? There are some huge fans of the T-touch, Visodate and Le Locle.
    I lurk the Tissot forum almost every day...There really isn't too much activity aside from threads asking if one's Tissot is fake or not and other help threads.

Quote Originally Posted by jason_recliner View Post
    For me, I don't like how Swatch (and other luxury branding conglomerates) buy a brand like Tissot (or Hamilton, or many others) and then slot it inot a tier, play off the history of the brand, biut at the same time limit what the brand can produce.
    Now that I think about it, I agree with this, but I still really enjoy modern Tissots. Can't wait to begin the foray into vintage ones.

Anyway, thanks for all the input so far, guys.

I happen to like several Tissot models including the discountinued retro styled PRS 615 series. Have you searched the public, affordable and Tissot forums? I recollect lots of posts.

I'm not sure what you are looking for in the way of appreciation. Tissot is a much smaller brand sold through far fewer retailers than Omega so they will never attain the recognition enjoyed by Omega.

It's is a bit confusing to me..The mid to low end auto's Tissot sells do not get a lot of press time here on the forum,because of the reasons Jason posted,and then when you look at the T-touch line don't get much press time on the ABC Forum is because they are to expensive for most of the collectors.
    Mike

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information