AN unexpected find
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: AN unexpected find

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

AN unexpected find

Hi all,

Just posted this in the Omega forums but I wanted to share the excitement here as well. I read the threads about garage sale/pawn shop finds, wondering why it never happened to me.

While on a early morning random browsing of a local classified ads website's watch section, I stumbled upon a curious and rather rare sight. It was a vintage omega seasmaster chronograph, but I had ever seen anything like it before. The case was clearly from the 70s, ala Speedmaster MarkII, and the seller designated it circa 1971.

A few texts later I met up with who I discovered was a fellow WIS, although he doesn't frequent this forum. A quick examination of the watch and nice conversation later I drove off with this beauty:

From google I gathered it had a cal 1040 automatic chronograph movement, aka the lemania 1341. Chronomaddox designated it a MarkIII(b) variant. If anyone has any additional info on the watch it'll be much appreciated.

It is running perfectly atm, chrono functions all work properly except the chrono second hand that resets to about 0.5 before midnight. When I get back home tonight I will take better pictures and a side by side with my Speedy Pro.

All in all not a bad pickup for 1100CAD. Met a fellow WIS in the wild and made a new friend.

I am currently shopping for an OEM 1162/1172 bracelet and a OEM (Maybe Wjean) Mesh. Just bought a Hirsch Blue Professional strap with blue stitchings as well.
    G00dband, Bradjhomes, jah and 6 others like this.

Re: AN unexpected find

Nice snag!
    Any watches posted may be seen as gifts,borrowed or found property and not as personal property of Little Big Feather.

That's a sweet looking watch, especially for that price! The color combination looks fun. Congrats on your new Omega!
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

thanks! I'm not sure which part of all this is more exciting, snagging up a vintage omega chrono for a good price or meeting a fellow WIS in the wild hehe.

As promised here's some better quality pictures. Lost the light of day so I will try to take some better dial pictures tomorrow.

Also a small detail I forgot to mention, the Hippocampus logo on the back of this watch was engraved very shallowly, although mine is starting to fade, it is luckily still visible.

Name:  photo (2).JPG
Views: 596
Size:  118.7 KB
    Name:  photo (3).JPG
Views: 590
Size:  191.4 KB
    Name:  photo (1).JPG
Views: 588
Size:  189.0 KB
    Name:  photo.JPG
Views: 581
Size:  96.9 KB
    wysanz likes this.

It looks really sweet on the blue Nato strap.
    Robocaspar likes this.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

A snapshot of the case back

Name:  photo (4).JPG
Views: 557
Size:  83.9 KB

Nice ! agree a mesh maybe the way to go....

lovely watch well done -so satisfying to pick up something special , and even more at the right money and im guessing Canadian dollars are less than sterling so that is the low end of the value - i will say contrary to other members -a mesh is fine -if you are a purist an Omega mesh but in my experience you will be much happier for the money with an Omega deploy or couple handmade straps to suit - mesh seems always to detract from the body of the piece - its a heavy duty movement that if looked after will outlive you -back engraving has been worn down by loving wrist wear , not shallow when new nice one , quite exceptable in a vintage watch !!

Quote Originally Posted by shameless View Post
    lovely watch well done -so satisfying to pick up something special , and even more at the right money and im guessing Canadian dollars are less than sterling so that is the low end of the value - i will say contrary to other members -a mesh is fine -if you are a purist an Omega mesh but in my experience you will be much happier for the money with an Omega deploy or couple handmade straps to suit - mesh seems always to detract from the body of the piece - its a heavy duty movement that if looked after will outlive you -back engraving has been worn down by loving wrist wear , not shallow when new nice one , quite exceptable in a vintage watch !!
    Thanks for the clarification on the case back! I agree that 40 years of wear would fade any engraving.

Looking at omega mesh on fleabay they seem to go for 300$. I might just go for a Wjean shark mesh for now.

There are a few 1162/172 bracelets but the problem is finding the proper end links for this case.
    shameless likes this.

Congratulations on a great find! Every yard sale I've ever been to has either an old Timex or beat up Seiko, with the word Quartz on the dial. This one is special and I hope it brings you years of pleasure.......
    Robocaspar likes this.
    I am no longer active on WUS. If you would like to contact me, please feel free to email me: rbrylaw fifty five at yahoo

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information