WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Unintentional Manual Winding

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  ffritz 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I hope your Thursday (assuming you read this the day it was posted) is going well. I think I am experiencing something that I have never heard of before, granted I've only been into watches for a couple years. I have a watch with a Seiko NH35A movement inside. The watch keeps really good time at around +4 to +6 seconds a day. I have noticed however that when I set the time and screw the crown back down it feels and sounds as though the winding function of the crown may be engaged. I suppose this could be the spring that pushes the crown out making that noise, but I'm not sure. It sure sounds like the watch is winding. Have you ever heard of this before? Would you be concerned?

Thanks for your time.

Clayton.

#3 ·
In my experience this is common. I've put the NH35's in a number of my modded watches and each one seems to wind when I screw down the crown. Note: I'm using SKX screw down crowns which may also have something to do with it.

#4 ·
I have noticed however that when I set the time and screw the crown back down it feels and sounds as though the winding function of the crown may be engaged. I suppose this could be the spring that pushes the crown out making that noise, but I'm not sure. It sure sounds like the watch is winding. Have you ever heard of this before? Would you be concerned?
I have no NH35 powered watch, but all my hand winding automatics with a screw down crown do this. Since crown position 1 is usually the winding position, turning the crown while screwing it to the case will naturally wind the watch. Perfectly normal and no need to worry. You can't over-wind automatic watches anyway. The main spring slips on the outer barrel wall when it's wound beyond full capacity, if that's what you are afraid of.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.