Unitas 64 movement

Thread: Unitas 64 movement

Unitas 64 movement

Can you all enlighten me about the attraction to the Unitas 64xx movements? I see people stating a preference for them over the 2824s and the 2836s. Is it a handwind vs. automatic issue? Are the Unitas movements strict handwinds w/o a "perpetual" automatic feature? If so, how long does a full wind in a Unitas generally last?

Explain. Thanks.

Also, if this should be in another sub-forum I apologize.

Re: Unitas 64 movement

The Unitas movements are proven work horses to start with. They are relatively easy to work on as they are actually pocket watch movements, thus they have large components. This design has been around for years.

Many companies use this movement as a base and customize them to a very high level like Panerai. I have one in a PAM homage type watch that I really like. It is my only example of a handwind and it has a nice display back with some light machining work and blued screw heads.

I find that this type of watch is very good for showing your non WIS friends the guts of a real watch. I think that the mainspring powers for about 36-38 hours and most of the 2824 types go for about 44 hours. I wind my watch once each morning when I am wearing it.
    "Some people work for a living, me, I'd rather fly!"

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Quote Originally Posted by TimeOnTarget
    The Unitas movements are proven work horses to start with. They are relatively easy to work on as they are actually pocket watch movements, thus they have large components. This design has been around for years.

Many companies use this movement as a base and customize them to a very high level like Panerai. I have one in a PAM homage type watch that I really like. It is my only example of a handwind and it has a nice display back with some light machining work and blued screw heads.

I find that this type of watch is very good for showing your non WIS friends the guts of a real watch. I think that the mainspring powers for about 36-38 hours and most of the 2824 types go for about 44 hours. I wind my watch once each morning when I am wearing it.
    All other things being equal, the bigger the movement, the greater the accuracy. Hence, the Unitas 6497/98, at 16''' (french lignes, equivalent to about 36mm) is more accurate than something like the ETA 2824 or 2892.

Hartmut Richter

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Interesting point about the accuracy. That's not something I've heard before. Thank you both for your replies.

I am still not clear as to whether the Unitas movement is self-winding or not. Can someone reply to that question?

Unitas produced (as far as I know) only handwinding movements.
    The only Unitas (now ETA) movements that are produced today are the 6497/6498.
    Some new old stock movements ocasionally turn up (Unitas 6300 at J. Etoile).
    The power reserve of the Unitas 6497/6498 is nearly 50 hours, but certainly bigger than the 2824, which has 38/40 hours.
    It's correct that you can get the movement in all sorts of grades (300,- euro up to 10.000,- euro.
    Panerai uses high grade modified versions.

Hope this helps a bit,

Cheers,

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

These days I prefer the hand winding movements. I guess there is a certain connection you build when you wind a watch daily. I have only seen manual wind Unitas movements.

Don't get me wrong, there are a few automatics that I want down the road. Most of those can be hand wound daily as well to keep up their power reserves.

As far as power reserve, my Eberhard as one that lasts about 40 hours.

Here is a pic of the back of my Eberhard..enjoy.

ToddH

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." Albert Einstein

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

It's funny that - these days, I tend to go more for manuals too, for the same reason. The problem is that I prefer the central seconds hand plus the simple date feature, both of which are lacking in the Unitas movements. I know that Chronoswiss have adapted the thing to a central seconds hand but as for the date.....

Thus I tend to collect vintage manuals with smaller movements but with CSH and date. The latest one was a simple Bergana with Adolf Schild Cal. 1950/51 from the late sixties/early seventies. Nice watch!

Hartmut Richter

Thread Information