Up to £2000 ($3000) to Spend on a Brand New Watch - Suggestions Please!!

Thread: Up to £2000 ($3000) to Spend on a Brand New Watch - Suggestions Please!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Up to £2000 ($3000) to Spend on a Brand New Watch - Suggestions Please!!

Hi All,

First post and I need some advice.

For the first time in my life (and possibly ever) I have up to £2000 ($3000) to spend on a Watch!

I would love to hear your suggestions, I am open to literally anything.

Obviously I've looked at the Omega's and Tag's et al. I quite like the Sinn's too. Ideally I'd like a future classic or something that will hold its value.

Not overly keen on Divers watches or second hand Rolex. Has to be at least 40mm too.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Up to £2000 ($3000) to Spend on a Brand New Watch - Suggestions Please!!

Welcome! I'll be the first of many to make this recommendation:

A well bought used Speedmaster will always be always be in style, and will never lose its value.
    Seiko Marinemaster SBDX001
    My Father's Hamilton Khaki Automatic

My Grandfather's Movado Sub Sea Automatic

"That's what character is-It's in the tryin'" Eric Taylor.

Welcome! If you like a particular Omega or TAG then why not post a picture of it here and I'm sure people will tell you if there's any reason not to buy it or if they recommend anything better. And if they don't then go with what you like most!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    Welcome! If you like a particular Omega or TAG then why not post a picture of it here and I'm sure people will tell you if there's any reason not to buy it or if they recommend anything better. And if they don't then go with what you like most!
    Looking at Pre-worn Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch (as two posts above) and New Tag Carrera RS Calibre:

Name:  gc_WAV511BFC6224.JPG
Views: 1014
Size:  21.9 KB

They are very common though and was looking for some interesting suggestions from you guys.

I do like the NOMOS Club Automat Datum Dunkel: Name:  Club_dunkel_automat_datum.jpg
Views: 784
Size:  66.2 KBand also the Sinn 903 HF: Name:  market_image.761906.jpg
Views: 725
Size:  80.5 KB

With respect, I think you need to have a look round the site in the brand forums and study lots of photos. I would not consider spending a large sum of money without a firm idea of the type of watch I wanted. Then it's a must to go try some on at a real dealer.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Quote Originally Posted by Ray MacDonald View Post
    With respect, I think you need to have a look round the site in the brand forums and study lots of photos. I would not consider spending a large sum of money without a firm idea of the type of watch I wanted. Then it's a must to go try some on at a real dealer.
    I appreciate the advice but I'm new to all this and would like some suggestions on watches I can afford in this price bracket in terms of what is good quality. A lot of you guys have a lot more experience in this than me!

You don't say whether you want to buy new or pre-owned. That will make a huge difference in the quality of watch you can find for your $3,000. Depending on brand and model, your dollar will go 25% to 50% farther in the used market. Going used would allow you to consider nicer models of some high end brands like IWC, Grand Seiko, Panerai, Bremont, glashutte, etc. However, since more money is involved, the risks are higher and more caution is warranted when buying. I can tell you from sad personal experience that there are scammers out there using high end watches as bait. If you decide to go in the used market, the number one rule is to "buy the seller"!. Ask for and check references. If you have any doubt about your ability to do that, then I would advise going for a new watch from a trusted dealer. I happen to think that some of the nicest new values are in the Seiko Japan-only market available from online Dealers like Higuchi and Seiya.

You mention wanting to stay away from divers. A couple of my favorite watches in your price range would be the Omega Aquaterra or the Railmaster. If you want something a little more sporty, think about brands like the Anonimo line from Italy. For dressy and conservative, think about the Hamiltons. There are literally hundreds, if not thousands of watches out there to choose from. It all depends on how much time you can devote to the shopping.

Above all, keep doing what you are doing: ask lots of questions and look at lots of watches before you plunk down that amount of coin for any watch.

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner
    Last edited by paulie485; August 30th, 2011 at 15:52.

Paul

- -WUS Chinese Forum Design Project Gone but not forgotten: Anonimo Sailor Diver Tissot T-Touch - - Omega X-33 - - Bathys 100 Fathom
    Science Experiment: Pulsar Quartz Alarm (convinced me I will never have a career as a watchmaker)

No watch will "hold its value" independent of external circumstances. With higher end watches, even if you get back a high percentage, there is still a bigger net loss than on more affordable watches. A Rolex Submariner or Omega Speedmaster would hold value because they are iconic models from brands with large marketing budgets.

A mid-range brand will probably loose half its value once you take it out the box and place it on your wrist. So some people only deal with second hand watches, where someone else has taken the hit.

Even worse £2000/$3000 doesn't buy what it would a few years ago. Even the entry level Omegas and Breitlings are going out of that range.

I would just find something interesting that appeals to you on the basis of enjoyment and not 'value'.

£2k gets you into quite a wide spectrum of options. The first thing I will say, following your comment on the Grand Carrera, is thatI would definitely only buy this calibre of watch from an authorised dealer. There are several UK based chains and smaller groups that can supply a vast array of brands without resorting to web-based grey suppliers. In reflection of this, I would say that you will struggle to find a new Grand Carrera for much under £2,500.

Some perhaps more experienced members will correct or deepen my opinion, but in terms of holding value at this price point you might only be looking at second-hand Air Kings, some Breitlings and of course the ubiquitous Omega Speedmaster Professional. From what I have seen, certain TAGs will hold their value but I am waiting to see how the Grand Carreras (they don't appear to be that common to me. Where I live I appear to be the only person wearing one) fare on the used market for a bit longer. You could of course consider something like a Monaco or vintage Autavia. In terms of the Nomos line, the automatic Clubs are about as big as they go. These have an in-house movement and are becoming known in the UK after remaining a relative secret among enthsiasts (although the German market has been enamoured with them for a lot longer). I would recommend them if you like the watch and prefer something that perhaps only an enthusiast will recognise. Sinn is growing lately and has its own fan base. It's certainly independent in its thinking and execution and any model will serve well.

If you are stretching towards the £2,500 mark, you might be lucky and want to consider a Zenith Ultra Thin Elite as a dressier alternative: Zenith Ultra Thin 681 03.2010.681/01.C493 Mens watch

Based on your budget alone, even though some exceed your ceiling, I would recommend the following, in no particular order:

TAG Heuer Carrera Tag Heuer Carrera CV2010.BA0794 Mens watch
    Bremont BC Solo Bremont BC Solo White BC SOLO WH Mens watch
    Fortis Spacematic and its variants Fortis Spacematic Chronograph 625.22.11 M Mens watch
    Sinn Instrument, Sport or Flieger, which should offer more well within your budget Sinn Sport Chronograph 144 St Sa 144.020 Bracelet Mens watch
    I think the Omegas will exceed your budget to a similar amount as the TAGs but here's the Speedmaster Pro Omega Speedmaster Professional Moon Mens Watch | 3570.50.00 | Omega Watches | Goldsmiths Watches

Good luck!

Thanks for the advice! Any suggestions for some fun and different brands the? Sinn, NOMOS, Stowa are what I've been looking at recently.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information